Is cutting cokes out really worth it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Is cutting cokes out really worth it?

What is the benefits and typical weight loss? I am a diabetic so I already have to drink diet cokes. A typical day is 6-8 of them. I am now down to just 2. I guess what I really want to know, is how do you feel, can you tell a difference? Are you draggy in the morning? I am just a little scared of cutting them all the way out.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Hired Hand

I used to drink ALOT of coffee at work (starbucks jetfuel at that), and when I quit I had a headach for a few days and was a little groggy, but nothing to be "afraid of.

FWIW the caffiene is out of your system in 72 hours, any desire after that is mental.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I used to drink ALOT of coffee at work (starbucks jetfuel at that), and when I quit I had a headach for a few days and was a little groggy, but nothing to be "afraid of.

FWIW the caffiene is out of your system in 72 hours, any desire after that is mental.
The headache part doesn't scare me. I just worked 4 months to stop dipping. Just since I have cut way back on them, I feel alot better. Now I am a little tired. Alot of that could be that our son wakes up 6 times every night... I depend way to much on caffeine.

1967 Camaro SS/RS

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Nobody

Honestly, I can not think of anything worse to put in your body than a coke, barring any drugs and/or cigs.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Lifer

i was drinking about 6-8 cokes a day a while back, i just decided enough was enough, so not only did i quit soda, but caffeine in general, some night sweats, plenty of not being able to sleep, bad headaches, and after a week of that i decided if a body can react that violently to not having it, it isn't good for you, no caffeine for over 2 years here now! i wake up with energy, do not get tired as quickly as i once did, and feel better over all, no way i will ever go back
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Packin' up...

Had a solid headache for a week when I stopped drinking sodas.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Lifer

I drink one every other day. My drink of choice is decaf ice tea.

Sodas are horrible for you.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I heard somewhere a long while back that a coke a day for a year is worth 10 lbs. of fat. Not sure how true that is, but cutting out cokes entirely helped me lose a good chunk of weight.

I feel a ton better now too. Not sure what it is, but it's nice to see completely clear piss most of the time. Only downside to drinking nothing other than water and tea is that I've got to pee constantly.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I heard somewhere a long while back that a coke a day for a year is worth 10 lbs. of fat. Not sure how true that is, but cutting out cokes entirely helped me lose a good chunk of weight.

I feel a ton better now too. Not sure what it is, but it's nice to see completely clear piss most of the time. Only downside to drinking nothing other than water and tea is that I've got to pee constantly.
It depends on where your daily intake is at. If you are already getting more than you need then yes, a coke a day (or any other food source for that matter) will add to the overage causing even more fat gain. If you're one of these twigs that lives on cigarettes, half a Big Mac, and chewing gum a day, then that extra coke will just make you less skinny.

I was raised not to drink full sugar soda, so as an adult it was really no big deal to live on water, skim milk, and an occasional diet soda or Monster. I've been treating myself a bit since the break, and it's great to have the flavor, but my body is showing that extra sugar.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

I've never necessarily stopped drinking sodas but there's been plenty of times where I go for a week plus without one. I've never had and side effects.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Honestly, I can not think of anything worse to put in your body than a coke, barring any drugs and/or cigs.
I never really relized the effects of sodas until my dad had a massive heart attack, the doctor didn't come right out and say it but the 12 pack of them he drank a day, and the JITB almost killed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Had a solid headache for a week when I stopped drinking sodas.
That would suck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I drink one every other day. My drink of choice is decaf ice tea.

Sodas are horrible for you.
I love tea, but it still has caffeine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post

I pee like no other. We were at the doctor today with my son, I went 3 times while I was there. I feel like one of those old men in those commercials for Overactive bladder commerical. All in all I am making changes now, before I end up with serious health problems. I have put some much crap in my body, and I am serious about making changes this year. Thanks everyone for your help..

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Texas Rangers #1

i have completely cut out all sodas that contain sugar. I do drink an occasional coke zero or sprite zero, but I haven't had any non-diet soda in over 6 months. I was never a huge soda drinker to begin with (1 or 2 a day with meals) but I'm sure eliminating them from my diet helped alot in my weight loss (63 lbs since June '09).

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
i have completely cut out all sodas that contain sugar. I do drink an occasional coke zero or sprite zero, but I haven't had any non-diet soda in over 6 months. I was never a huge soda drinker to begin with (1 or 2 a day with meals) but I'm sure eliminating them from my diet helped alot in my weight loss (63 lbs since June '09).
Wow thats some good numbers.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Founding Member

I stopped drinking soda unless it is mixed with rum or whiskey.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Lifer

H2O only is how I roll!
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95snake View Post
Wow thats some good numbers.
Thanks. I still would like to lose another 15 - 20 lbs and get to 190 - 195 lb range. Currently at 208, I'm 6'0"

Once I get under 200 i'm going to start doing some weight lifting, currently just doing cardio 3 - 5 days a week.

I did it for the same reasons you are, have a history of heart disease, strokes, and diabetes in my family and 6 months back had a scare where I thought I was having a heart attack (turns out the pain was from gallstones). Blood pressure was through the roof (189/100 at the hospital) and I really had no energy to do anything. Since starting on the weight loss my blood pressure average is 116/69 and I feel tons better.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Sodas are liquid candy, not only they full of sugar and caffiene, but also damage your internals. It's also been my biggest vice to kick during this weight loss period. Headaches, shaky hands and jitters from the withdrawls, but I've figured out that drinking enough water will keep the cravings to a minimum. Also, after you've managed to quit them for awhile, your tastebuds return to normal. When you finally have a drink of one again it's so unbelievably sweet it's hard to beleive you could down so many before.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
Thanks. I still would like to lose another 15 - 20 lbs and get to 190 - 195 lb range. Currently at 208, I'm 6'0"

Once I get under 200 i'm going to start doing some weight lifting, currently just doing cardio 3 - 5 days a week.

I did it for the same reasons you are, have a history of heart disease, strokes, and diabetes in my family and 6 months back had a scare where I thought I was having a heart attack (turns out the pain was from gallstones). Blood pressure was through the roof (189/100 at the hospital) and I really had no energy to do anything. Since starting on the weight loss my blood pressure average is 116/69 and I feel tons better.
That is exactly why I am cutting them out. Not only does my family have heart problems, we have type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol problems. I know if anyone will get it in the future, it will be me. I have nearly destroyed my self many times, with alcohol. I have already been told I will be lucky to make it to age 30, with the condition of my heart. After my wife had our son, and my dad had to have a 6 bypass surgery, It really opened my eyes. I know everything has got to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Sodas are liquid candy, not only they full of sugar and caffiene, but also damage your internals. It's also been my biggest vice to kick during this weight loss period. Headaches, shaky hands and jitters from the withdrawls, but I've figured out that drinking enough water will keep the cravings to a minimum. Also, after you've managed to quit them for awhile, your tastebuds return to normal. When you finally have a drink of one again it's so unbelievably sweet it's hard to beleive you could down so many before.
I was able to quiet in 03, but we broke up with my x for a little bit and started drinking them again. I switched to diets in 05 and lost 40 lbs, with that and dipping. Life was good, but Im in my mid 20's and I don't exercise like I should. I packed on almost 50 lbs. I remember them being really sweet when I started back. Cokes in my family is like beer in most. We drink alot of it. I can't believe stopping dipping made me gain 20 lbs.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
That is exactly why I am cutting them out. Not only does my family have heart problems, we have type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol problems. I know if anyone will get it in the future, it will be me. I have nearly destroyed my self many times, with alcohol. I have already been told I will be lucky to make it to age 30, with the condition of my heart. After my wife had our son, and my dad had to have a 6 bypass surgery, It really opened my eyes. I know everything has got to change.

I was able to quiet in 03, but we broke up with my x for a little bit and started drinking them again. I switched to diets in 05 and lost 40 lbs, with that and dipping. Life was good, but Im in my mid 20's and I don't exercise like I should. I packed on almost 50 lbs. I remember them being really sweet when I started back. Cokes in my family is like beer in most. We drink alot of it. I can't believe stopping dipping made me gain 20 lbs.
Stopping your bad habit of dipping didn't make you gain weight, stuffing your face with shit food and not excercising like you should be did.

Stop making exuses for your actions and just change them with better choices and habits. Took me a long time to finally get that through my own head too.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
NES Crew

Quote:
I was able to quiet in 03
Did you replace a soft drink with a soft voice?
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Stopping your bad habit of dipping didn't make you gain weight, stuffing your face with shit food and not excercising like you should be did.

Stop making exuses for your actions and just change them with better choices and habits. Took me a long time to finally get that through my own head too.
This is the truth. I am finally understanding it, You are responsible for your actions, and you have to deal with the choices. Mine being not exercising. I never liked too, but I don't want to be fat either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol View Post
Did you replace a soft drink with a soft voice?
Got me before my ninja edit.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Gunga galunga

I gave up all soft drinks about 3 months back and feel so much better. I will have a tea every now and then and thats the only caffeine that I drink. IMHO I truly think that artificial sweeteners are terrible for you, and the fact that I was drinking 2-3 diet dr. peppers a day makes me sick.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
The first, the original

experts are saying now that the diet drinks are worse than the regular because of all the preservatives they use in them.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
experts are saying now that the diet drinks are worse than the regular because of all the preservatives they use in them.
The preservatives are bad in both regular and diet soft drinks. However, there is evidence that artificial sweeteners spike your insulin in much the same was sugar/HFCS drinks do.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
The preservatives are bad in both regular and diet soft drinks. However, there is evidence that artificial sweeteners spike your insulin in much the same was sugar/HFCS drinks do.
Yeah, my wife said she read an article in the paper that artificial sweeteners actually slow your metabolism. I was disappointed to hear that as I thought it would help occasionally with withdrawls.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Your body can metabolize artificial sweeteners as fat. You are not that much better off. Not to mention how bad the Ph. acid is on bone density.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I miss Colorado

I was seriously about to make a post here today, about cutting out cokes.
Deployments are always hard to cut back on.
Fridges stuff full of about 10 different sodas, as many as you want.
At the beginning of this tour, i drank 4-6 a day, and ate absolute garage all day long, with no exercise, and maintained 155 lbs
Now, i eat a good breakfast, and a good dinner, along with a crappy lunch, drink 1-2 cokes PER WEEK, and work out daily for the past 4 months... still stuck at 157 lbs.
Just cutting out sodas i thought i would see significant change, but NEGATIVE.
Looks like no matter what i eat, or how much i work out, i cannot gain, or loose weight.

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Lifer

I went from drinking easily 6 cans of coke a day, to just drinking either:

Tea(non sweet)
Water
Diet Sunkist

I honestly dropped 30 or so pounds by doing that alone.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

A quick google search pulled up some facts on the sugar in them. Cant vouch for the site, but this info is good.

http://newsburglar.com/2008/01/17/sugar-can-coke/

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
I was seriously about to make a post here today, about cutting out cokes.
Deployments are always hard to cut back on.
Fridges stuff full of about 10 different sodas, as many as you want.
At the beginning of this tour, i drank 4-6 a day, and ate absolute garage all day long, with no exercise, and maintained 155 lbs
Now, i eat a good breakfast, and a good dinner, along with a crappy lunch, drink 1-2 cokes PER WEEK, and work out daily for the past 4 months... still stuck at 157 lbs.
Just cutting out sodas i thought i would see significant change, but NEGATIVE.
Looks like no matter what i eat, or how much i work out, i cannot gain, or loose weight.
At 155 you can't be carrying all that much bodyfat to begin with... Sounds like you've got a super fast metabolism, and the coke calories were simply replaced by better nutrition, which will make you feel and perform better, but your overall intake versus expenditure remained the same. Try adding another 500 calories a day of good food (not cokes), and bust your ass in the gym for a month. If you don't see results add another 500 calories. I promise that you'll eventually find that balance.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Im pretty proud of myself. I went from 8 cokes down to 1. I am doing great. Next week I am going to cut them completely out. I feel alot better, and honestly I don't feel like I need them. Water gives me the same energy a coke does.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
At 155 you can't be carrying all that much bodyfat to begin with... Sounds like you've got a super fast metabolism, and the coke calories were simply replaced by better nutrition, which will make you feel and perform better, but your overall intake versus expenditure remained the same. Try adding another 500 calories a day of good food (not cokes), and bust your ass in the gym for a month. If you don't see results add another 500 calories. I promise that you'll eventually find that balance.
By not seeing significant gains in the gym, has made me question eating healthy all together. I've gained slight definition, and drastically changed my diet.
I'm going to continue to eat good, and workout, and avoid soda's but also may have that honey-bun every now and then.

The most frustrating thing is the ads. I workout abs about four times a week. I can feel a six pack in there, its hiding under a thin layer of fat. If i could bring those up I'd be completely satisfied. If i pull the fat to the sides, or arch my back i can see em. I need to burn that fucking fat.

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
The most frustrating thing is the ads. I workout abs about four times a week. I can feel a six pack in there, its hiding under a thin layer of fat. If i could bring those up I'd be completely satisfied. If i pull the fat to the sides, or arch my back i can see em. I need to burn that fucking fat.
Continue to eat clean, but slightly reduce your calories, and do cardio for at least 30 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week. Burning fat is a very simple formula (calories in < calories out).

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well today will be my first day without them. Lets hope this goes good, I only had one yesterday. What are you drinking besides water. Water gets real boring. I have been mixing in some crystal light. Is green tea ok if I make it, and don't buy the pre made crap?

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Well today will be my first day without them. Lets hope this goes good, I only had one yesterday. What are you drinking besides water. Water gets real boring. I have been mixing in some crystal light. Is green tea ok if I make it, and don't buy the pre made crap?

i gave up sodas for 10 months and felt so much better, i stilled had a cup of coffee most mornings but just 1, and i drank alot of water and diet lipton green tea every once in awhile. trying to get off them again after a slip up, dr.pepper is like crack..

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin View Post
i gave up sodas for 10 months and felt so much better, i stilled had a cup of coffee most mornings but just 1, and i drank alot of water and diet lipton green tea every once in awhile. trying to get off them again after a slip up, dr.pepper is like crack..
I know, that crap is some tough stuff. I can't believe how easy it is though, its really no different then stopping dipping. I am used to the tight center forehead. I really have not gotten any head aches, just that. I plan on being free from them by next friday. I have found where I thought I needed 3 cokes in the morning to wake up and be productive at work, I really dont. Water has done just fine. I did slip up at lunch and have one but, I have started today with out one, and its going to continue.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I know, that crap is some tough stuff. I can't believe how easy it is though, its really no different then stopping dipping. I am used to the tight center forehead. I really have not gotten any head aches, just that. I plan on being free from them by next friday. I have found where I thought I needed 3 cokes in the morning to wake up and be productive at work, I really dont. Water has done just fine. I did slip up at lunch and have one but, I have started today with out one, and its going to continue.
just another case of telling yourself that you don't need it... i try to remember that when i reach for one, all the benefits of not having it and that i should down a glass of water instead and move on. the diet lipton green tea saved my ass many times though.. and its hardly got anything bad at all, and you can get a big jug of it for 3$ most of the time.. ill see if i can dig up the info on it..

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Lifer

LIPTON blends smooth, delicious, green tea with the tang of citrus to give you a great tasting green tea thatís free of calories. Plus, LIPTON Iced Tea provides a healthy dose of protective flavonoid antioxidants.

Nutrition Facts:
72mg protective flavonoid antioxidants per 8 fl oz serving
108mg protective flavonoid antioxidants per 12 fl oz serving

Serving Size: 8 fl oz

Amount Per Serving
Calories 0 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 60mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
LIPTON blends smooth, delicious, green tea with the tang of citrus to give you a great tasting green tea thatís free of calories. Plus, LIPTON Iced Tea provides a healthy dose of protective flavonoid antioxidants.

Nutrition Facts:
72mg protective flavonoid antioxidants per 8 fl oz serving
108mg protective flavonoid antioxidants per 12 fl oz serving

Serving Size: 8 fl oz

Amount Per Serving
Calories 0 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 60mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g
I have a few small bottles of it, I like it, but it makes my throat sore after 2 of them... I guess though I could get used to that instead of a coke.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Lifer

do you drink them cold or warm? either way still tastes good some people have better luck with warm vs. cold..

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
do you drink them cold or warm? either way still tastes good some people have better luck with warm vs. cold..
Cold, I do have some warm up tea, that add honey too.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Lifer

from what i've been reading, green tea is good for weightloss as well, but since it hasn't been figured out what it is exactly they say that bag green tea in hot water is best when trying to get better results.. some argue that commercial green tea has very little actual tea (not proven) but in the end it's still a much better option to soda..

only thing i hate about so much water and tea, is having to piss every 10 minutes..

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
from what i've been reading, green tea is good for weightloss as well, but since it hasn't been figured out what it is exactly they say that bag green tea in hot water is best when trying to get better results.. some argue that commercial green tea has very little actual tea (not proven) but in the end it's still a much better option to soda..

only thing i hate about so much water and tea, is having to piss every 10 minutes..
I know on the pissing, I stay in the bathroom.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement