Diet and cooking - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Diet and cooking

Would anyone care to share some of their cooking ideas/recipes? Especially any with chicken breast would be great. Seems like alot of recipes I have come across are to overly complicated and/or expensive for someone trying to eat less.

I'm learning as I go here using an online calorie counter (for the first time ever) and keeping count of what I am taking in. Also paying close attention to portion sizes.

How do you count the oils you cook with? For lunch today I cut up a chicken breast, put it in a pan with some olive oil, cooked it and put it in a small green salad. But obviously not all the oil is soaked up in the chicken. I only use a tsp or two to coat the pan, should I even be counting it?

Any suggestions and recipes would be great.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Lifer

Notes:
made with whole grain tortillas and low fat cheese
Servings: 4-6
Ingredients:
Enchilada Sauce- 1 can (can find low sodium if needed)
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
Whole grain tortillas
1 small white onion
2 cups low fat (2%) mozzarella
Directions:
Poach chicken breasts in 2-3 cups of water.
use a blender or food processor to shred chicken and add onion.
In medium saucepan, add 3/4 cup enchilada sauce to chicken and onion mixture.
Turn off heat.
Add 1/2 to 1 cup cheese (depends how cheesy you like them)
Fill tortillas with about 3 tablespoons of enchilada filling.
Roll up and place fold side down in baking or casserole dish.
Top with remaining 1/4-1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.

I choose to use fat free cheese. My wife is making them this week end.

I make some really good and high in protein chicken noodle soap, if you are interested lmk.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95snake View Post
Notes:
made with whole grain tortillas and low fat cheese
Servings: 4-6
Ingredients:
Enchilada Sauce- 1 can (can find low sodium if needed)
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
Whole grain tortillas
1 small white onion
2 cups low fat (2%) mozzarella
Directions:
Poach chicken breasts in 2-3 cups of water.
use a blender or food processor to shred chicken and add onion.
In medium saucepan, add 3/4 cup enchilada sauce to chicken and onion mixture.
Turn off heat.
Add 1/2 to 1 cup cheese (depends how cheesy you like them)
Fill tortillas with about 3 tablespoons of enchilada filling.
Roll up and place fold side down in baking or casserole dish.
Top with remaining 1/4-1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.

I choose to use fat free cheese. My wife is making them this week end.

I make some really good and high in protein chicken noodle soap, if you are interested lmk.

Thanks but I don't think I would ever use chicken noodle soap. Eww.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Thanks but I don't think I would ever use chicken noodle soap. Eww.
lol ok, Ill keep thinking. You know you can eat nearly fat free beef with whole wheat pasta, and low sodium sauce. Turkey is also another good alternative. I would go vegan, if I could afford it.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Resident Epicurean

Really, you just have to pay attention to the ingredients you are using.

-I like creole food a lot, and spicy shit, for instance. We switched from Tony Chachere's (very high in sodium), to a cajun blackening seasoning that has no sodium in it. It's just the little things like that.

-On olive oil, as long as you are using it minimally, I wouldn't worry about counting that. Olive oil is about the healthiest oil you can get that's easily available.

-Obviously, fresh veggies are always the best choices, but frozen is better for you than canned. Tastes a hell of a lot better too. IMO, canned veggies are fillers. The nutritional value is so low, it might as well not have any nutritional value at all.

- Also, be cautious about how you cook the veggies. When I steam at home, I use a pan for the water, and have another pan that drops in to that and has a perforated bottom. Water goes in the bottom pan, veggies in the perf pan. When done, you can look at the water in the bottom pan, and the floaty colored shit you see (will depend on what veg you cook), is the nutrients and such. It will take some time to get used to, but as long as you don't have a hangup about food texture, you CAN get used to it). If you can adjust from liking mushy green beans, to green beans that are cooked but still a bit crisp, you're getting more of the shit you need from your vegetables.

EDIT: I also just noticed I didn't really answer your question, but I hope some of that might help anyways. hahaha

Last edited by bcoop; 01-06-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I'm a tard...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Really, you just have to pay attention to the ingredients you are using.

-I like creole food a lot, and spicy shit, for instance. We switched from Tony Chachere's (very high in sodium), to a cajun blackening seasoning that has no sodium in it. It's just the little things like that.

-On olive oil, as long as you are using it minimally, I wouldn't worry about counting that. Olive oil is about the healthiest oil you can get that's easily available.

-Obviously, fresh veggies are always the best choices, but frozen is better for you than canned. Tastes a hell of a lot better too. IMO, canned veggies are fillers. The nutritional value is so low, it might as well not have any nutritional value at all.

- Also, be cautious about how you cook the veggies. When I steam at home, I use a pan for the water, and have another pan that drops in to that and has a perforated bottom. Water goes in the bottom pan, veggies in the perf pan. When done, you can look at the water in the bottom pan, and the floaty colored shit you see (will depend on what veg you cook), is the nutrients and such. It will take some time to get used to, but as long as you don't have a hangup about food texture, you CAN get used to it). If you can adjust from liking mushy green beans, to green beans that are cooked but still a bit crisp, you're getting more of the shit you need from your vegetables.

EDIT: I also just noticed I didn't really answer your question, but I hope some of that might help anyways. hahaha
Actually that does help quite abit with some things I haven't thought of yet. Like th sodium issue. I never noticed before how high alot things are in sodium, which is now I am trying to eat fresh as possible, nothing processed. I LOVE spicy food as well, so I will definetly give that blackened spice a try. Is available in any grocery store?

I don't have a texture issue with foods, but my wife does. So that's always been an issue that complicates our menu. I don't want to torture her with my diet plan, but then again it's not easy to eat chicken breast and broccoli when she can eat whatever she wants like pasta, pizza etc.

Thanks Brent.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Nobody

As long as you are using EVOO, don't worry about it soaking into the food, it's actually heart healthy. You can always use olive oil spray in a non-stick pan if you are really keeping track of calories. If you need a good source of info, go here...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Recipes

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Very Interesting

This tends to be a typical meal for me when i'm back on the complex carb, high protein diet.

I can either make it in big bunches and then portion it off for multiple meals or make a single batch rather quickly, just using less.

Matt's Chicken "Fried" Brown Rice

4 cups cooked brown rice
4 8oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed and cubed
2 cups frozen green peas - thawed
2 cups frozen carrot cubes - thawed
1 cup green onion, finely chopped
2 egg whites
1 tsp crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
PAM cooking spray
2 TBSp low sodium soy sauce

Spray pan or wok liberally with PAM spray. Heat wok to med/high.
Add egg white and scramble (remove and set aside)
Add garlic
season chicken with salt and pepper, and add to wok
cook until done
add carrots, peas, and onion to chicken, and warm everything
add egg back and half of the soy sauce back in, and mix well
add brown rice, and rest of soy sauce, cook until rice browns a bit

Makes about 4 good sized servings

Under 600 calories per serving

And if you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes, or chili sauce

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements

Last edited by The Big Matt; 01-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Actually that does help quite abit with some things I haven't thought of yet. Like th sodium issue. I never noticed before how high alot things are in sodium, which is now I am trying to eat fresh as possible, nothing processed. I LOVE spicy food as well, so I will definetly give that blackened spice a try. Is available in any grocery store?
Yeah. The brand might vary from store to store, but you should always be able to find a no sodium alternative even at the majors like Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertson's, etc.

I *think* that Zatarain's blackening seasoning is no sodium, or at least they have a no sodium version. I don't think the McCormick's brand is no sodium but it's a hell of a lot less sodium than the Tony Chacheres stuff.

Are you on a specific diet plan? Or are you trying to cut out carbs, such as bread and pasta? Even a whole wheat pasta is better than a regular pasta, and it really doesn't taste bad depending on the brand.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Lifer

Kroger IMO has the best selection of healthy alternatives. I just found out my brother in law can get us 40% off at whole foods, so we will be shopping there.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Resident Epicurean

Steve, if you have a Sprouts anywhere near you, it's worth the trip to walk in and look. They're a lot less costly than Whole Foods, and Central Market.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Kroger IMO has the best selection of healthy alternatives. I just found out my brother in law can get us 40% off at whole foods, so we will be shopping there.

Even at 40% off, you're still going to overpay on a lot of stuff, but that would make it a hell of a lot easier on the wallet.

We still frequent Whole Foods from time to time, but it's limited, and only because they tend to have things regular grocery stores don't.

Another one that just popped up - Substitute Quinoa instead of rice. Flavor is a little different than rice, but quinoa is loaded with protein, and rice is pretty much a filler.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Even at 40% off, you're still going to overpay on a lot of stuff, but that would make it a hell of a lot easier on the wallet.

We still frequent Whole Foods from time to time, but it's limited, and only because they tend to have things regular grocery stores don't.

Another one that just popped up - Substitute Quinoa instead of rice. Flavor is a little different than rice, but quinoa is loaded with protein, and rice is pretty much a filler.
I agree, we will still frequent Kroger, for our meat and other stuff.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Nobody

Quote:

I hit up central Market once a month for spices and such. Also, Costco, and Sam's plus a deep freezer can save you a ton on meat. Costco has a 10 lb bag of frozen chicken breasts for 18 bucks. That's cheap, and they are pretty good quality.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Lifer

Does Central market or whole foods sell vegan alternatives?

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I know for sure Whole Foods does. Not sure about CM.

Why in the fuck would you want to become a vegan though? Every vegan I've ever known looks extremely sick. Cheeks are sunken in, pale ass skin, and frail looking. It's because they aren't getting all the nutrients they need.

I've got more than a few vegans in my extended family.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
I don't know.... I'm not gay!

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Steve, if you have a Sprouts anywhere near you, it's worth the trip to walk in and look. They're a lot less costly than Whole Foods, and Central Market.
Oh yeah, I forgot there was one of those about 10 minutes from my house in Murphy.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I know for sure Whole Foods does. Not sure about CM.

Why in the fuck would you want to become a vegan though? Every vegan I've ever known looks extremely sick. Cheeks are sunken in, pale ass skin, and frail looking. It's because they aren't getting all the nutrients they need.

I've got more than a few vegans in my extended family.
Just because of the health benefits. I just don't want to end up like my dad, nearly dying and then having 6 bypasses at 45. He never drank or smoked. His heart doctor told him, the best thing he could do, would be to never touch another piece of meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
I don't know.... I'm not gay!
lmao, im not either. my wifes tits

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Just because of the health benefits. I just don't want to end up like my dad, nearly dying and then having 6 bypasses at 45. He never drank or smoked. His heart doctor told him, the best thing he could do, would be to never touch another piece of meat.
I'd imagine he said red meat. Chicken and fish are perfectly fine. So is red meat, really, when it's not overdone. Just remember. Everything in moderation....

If I had to take a guess, your father is probably overweight, high cholesterol, blood pressure is through the roof, etc. If I'm wrong in that, I apologize.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:

Funny, my great grandfather lived to 93 years old, smoked and drank daily. Ate fried eggs, bacon, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast nearly everyday. Ate red meat for dinner nightly.

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'd imagine he said red meat. Chicken and fish are perfectly fine. So is red meat, really, when it's not overdone. Just remember. Everything in moderation....

If I had to take a guess, your father is probably overweight, high cholesterol, blood pressure is through the roof, etc. If I'm wrong in that, I apologize.
Believe it or not he was 200 lbs 6"1 in shape, and had a clean bill of health 6 months before his heart attack. I would just like to substitute vegan meals maybe 5 days a week. My wife can't handle not eating steak. Alot of his problem was he ate a jumbo jack everyday for years, and drank way to many dr. peppers, or at least thats what I think. I am working on cutting my self back, but the hell if I am gonna be cut open like that. Thats why I was thinking about being vegan. I blame alot of todays diseases like cancer, and heart disease and or heart attack, on the crap they feed the animals, and inject them with. thats just my option though.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Believe it or not he was 200 lbs 6"1 in shape, and had a clean bill of health 6 months before his heart attack. I would just like to substitute vegan meals maybe 5 days a week. My wife can't handle not eating steak. Alot of his problem was he ate a jumbo jack everyday for years, and drank way to many dr. peppers, or at least thats what I think. I am working on cutting my self back, but the hell if I am gonna be cut open like that. Thats why I was thinking about being vegan. I blame alot of todays diseases like cancer, and heart disease and or heart attack, on the crap they feed the animals, and inject them with. thats just my option though.
Just a recommendation, but you can get around all the steroids and hormones they pump in to livestock by buying organic/natural beef and poultry. That's what we do.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Just a recommendation, but you can get around all the steroids and hormones they pump in to livestock by buying organic/natural beef and poultry. That's what we do.
true, we are heading to whole foods tomorrow, Ill do some price comparison. Does anyone buy from a butcher?

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Time Served

I cook my chicken breast directly on the rack in the oven with a drip tray positioned directly below. I have to clean the oven more often but it will finish cooking in 35 mins at 375 with whatever choice of seasoning.

I use Tony's or Cavender's Greek seasoning.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
true, we are heading to whole foods tomorrow, Ill do some price comparison. Does anyone buy from a butcher?
I do, but not often enough. If you want to go to a butcher, David's Meats in the Garland area is the best around.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I do, but not often enough. If you want to go to a butcher, David's Meats in the Garland area is the best around.
There was one in forest hill, I think there is one in everman. Sorry Im on the fort worth side. I just did P90X cardio and man it works great.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
This tends to be a typical meal for me when i'm back on the complex carb, high protein diet.

I can either make it in big bunches and then portion it off for multiple meals or make a single batch rather quickly, just using less.

Matt's Chicken "Fried" Brown Rice

4 cups cooked brown rice
4 8oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed and cubed
2 cups frozen green peas - thawed
2 cups frozen carrot cubes - thawed
1 cup green onion, finely chopped
2 egg whites
1 tsp crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
PAM cooking spray
2 TBSp low sodium soy sauce

Spray pan or wok liberally with PAM spray. Heat wok to med/high.
Add egg white and scramble (remove and set aside)
Add garlic
season chicken with salt and pepper, and add to wok
cook until done
add carrots, peas, and onion to chicken, and warm everything
add egg back and half of the soy sauce back in, and mix well
add brown rice, and rest of soy sauce, cook until rice browns a bit

Makes about 4 good sized servings

Under 600 calories per serving

And if you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes, or chili sauce

Matt I'm actually going to give this a try, I'm flipping through cook books looking for new meals to fix, and this sounds really good.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Matt I'm actually going to give this a try, I'm flipping through cook books looking for new meals to fix, and this sounds really good.
We went out and bought the stuff to do it too.. Thanks Matt.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement