Noob Question about Muscle mass building. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Noob Question about Muscle mass building.

Alright, don't laugh at me lol. I am now done with my weight loss thanks to Slim extreme! Wooo! Now I am getting back on the road to fitness. During my weight loss I was doing tons of cardio of course. Still doing that now, however now lifting weights. I have a great program I feel going with my reps and sets. Saturday I pushed myself to the max. Throwing out 3 reps of 10-12 per set. Stretched after and all. Protien shake after, protien bar earlier that day blah blah. Great diet going, chicken and fish and veggies also egg whites. Ok now to the question, I am sore as shit today. Was yesterday also, however still am today. Been trying to workout every other day. Wait another day to workout? Or work through the soreness. I am guessing rest, as I believe thats when the muscle build actually takes place, but would like some insight from you more experienced guys. Thanks Dan

MachX2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
If you just started working out your going to be more sore than you would after working out for months or even years.

It should be 3 or 4 days before you get back to that muscle group if you are on a set schedule of working every muscle group. Unless however, you are just working your chest and arms and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
If you just started working out your going to be more sore than you would after working out for months or even years.

It should be 3 or 4 days before you get back to that muscle group if you are on a set schedule of working every muscle group. Unless however, you are just working your chest and arms and nothing else.
My set schedule has been, lower body one day, next day upper body. I have been sore, just hasn't carried into the day in which I work that group. Satureday, I pushed myself further than I ever really had. I give the credit to some really motivating music lol but I pushed myself none the less. I have been lifting for over a week now.

MachX2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
If you just started working out your going to be more sore than you would after working out for months or even years.

It should be 3 or 4 days before you get back to that muscle group if you are on a set schedule of working every muscle group. Unless however, you are just working your chest and arms and nothing else.
So work out through the soreness?

MachX2 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Change your routine.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
What he said^. Most people will do their primary muscle group and the secondary. For example, chest and tri's, back and bi's etc. by the time you finish your routine it will (should) be 3-4 days before you visit the last muscle group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Change your routine.
Change my routine to what? I have always been told the upper body one day lower body next. I really don't care to do, Mon: Arms Tues: Abs Wed: Chest Thurs: Legs..... Or is that more efficient? If I have to do it some way like that I will. I am looking for the best way to build muscle mass, safely. Thanks

MachX2 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
What he said^. Most people will do their primary muscle group and the secondary. For example, chest and tri's, back and bi's etc. by the time you finish your routine it will (should) be 3-4 days before you visit the last muscle group.
So chest and tris one day. Back and bis next. ect? Do you want to split those up with some quads or something so you are at least giving a day rest between the uper body workouts?

MachX2 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
If you guys don't mind sharing the routine you guys use, it would be much appreciated. Also what kind of diet you guys stick to? Thanks

MachX2 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Lifer
 
jnobles06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake Worthless
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
If you guys don't mind sharing the routine you guys use, it would be much appreciated. Also what kind of diet you guys stick to? Thanks
here was my routine to build mass. i hurt my back a few months ago and started school so my gym time has been seriously lacking. i just started a new routine today though. it is the "westside for skinny bastards pt3" google it if you want to check it out.

my old routine.

Monday Bicep/Forearm
Incline Dumbell Curl
Dumbell Preacher Curl
Cross Body Hammer Curl
Standing Barbell Curl
Reverse Barbell Curl
Forearm Curl
Reverse Forearm Curl

Tuesday-Chest/Shoulder
Flat Dumbell Press
Incline Barbell Press
Dumbell Fly's
Dumbell Pullover
Front Lat Raises
Upright Rows

Wednesday- Legs/Calves
Squats
Lying Leg Curl
Sitting Leg Extensions
Standing Calve Raises
Seated Calve Raises

Thursday-Tricep/Forearm
Seated Tricep Extension
Dumbell Kickback
Skull Crusher
Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdown
Forearm Curl
Reverse Forearm Curl

Friday-Back/Shoulder
Wide Grip Cable Pulldowns
Longbar Rows
Deadlift
Shrugs
Side Lat Raises
Overhead Lat Raises

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
jnobles06 is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Its better to spread out your work out for a few reasons... #1 you are overworking your body doing your whole upper body on one day. You are expending to much energy and your body cannot recover properly.. #2 Its more efficient to work out each body group once, maybe twice a week. It takes a lot of time for muscles to heal properly. I put on more muscle my last bulking phase then I ever have due to two reasons:

1. Ate a shit ton of food
2. Worked each muscle group once a week. Your muscles need to break down and rebuild itself before you break it down again. Your body needs time to recover, or it will not fully recover.

If you want a M/W/F split try this:

M. Chest / Tris / Abs
W. Back / Bis
F. Legs / Shoulders

Im doing a 6 day split now that Im going to try and bulk again.
M. Chest
T. Back
W. Legs
T. Tris
F. Bis
S. Shoulders

This gives me a few days before the same group gets hit again. When you do chest workouts, you still use your triceps... so this gives plan gives you a couple days to recover before really hammering on them.

Oh yeah... EAT FOOD!!! 3000+ calories a day over 6 meals

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
$uper $low
 
Magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Plano
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post

M. Chest / Tris / Abs
W. Back / Bis
F. Legs / Shoulders
This is something i'm trying to do, but have absolutely no direction for on what i should be doing to work those out.

If you have the time, could you go into detail about how many sets/reps you did for those days?

What percentage of your max were you doing to work those muscle groups out?
Magnus is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
This is something i'm trying to do, but have absolutely no direction for on what i should be doing to work those out.

If you have the time, could you go into detail about how many sets/reps you did for those days?

What percentage of your max were you doing to work those muscle groups out?
For gaining mass, a 5x5 is suggested by lots of people. 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise. If you dont want to do that, 3 sets of 8-10. By the end sets you should be struggling if not failing.

Chest:
Bench press
Incline bench press
Decline bench press
Flys or pec dec

Tris:
Pull downs
Dips
Skull crushers
(I do less tri's because you are already hammering them with the chest)

Back:
Isolateral rows
Rows
Pull downs (lats)
Pull ups

Bi's:
Preacher curls
Standing curls
Machine preacher curls
(again, less bicep work because you use them with your back)

Legs:
Leg press
Squats
Sitting and standing calf raises
Leg extensions
Leg curls

Shoulders:
Shoulder shrugs
Military press
Seated machine shoulder press
Smith machine shrugs

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
For gaining mass, a 5x5 is suggested by lots of people. 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise. If you dont want to do that, 3 sets of 8-10. By the end sets you should be struggling if not failing.

Chest:
Bench press
Incline bench press
Decline bench press
Flys or pec dec

Tris:
Pull downs
Dips
Skull crushers
(I do less tri's because you are already hammering them with the chest)

Back:
Isolateral rows
Rows
Pull downs (lats)
Pull ups

Bi's:
Preacher curls
Standing curls
Machine preacher curls
(again, less bicep work because you use them with your back)

Legs:
Leg press
Squats
Sitting and standing calf raises
Leg extensions
Leg curls

Shoulders:
Shoulder shrugs
Military press
Seated machine shoulder press
Smith machine shrugs
Damn Man, tons of help from your posts. I have a great diet, and in the little time I have been on my mass building I am seeing changes. Here is the routine I started 2 days ago and will stick with it for a little bit.

Mon: Chest/abs
Tues: Back
Weds: OFF
Thurs: Shoulders/abs
Fri: Legs/cardio
Sat: Arms/abs
Sun: Off

MachX2 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Damn Man, tons of help from your posts. I have a great diet, and in the little time I have been on my mass building I am seeing changes. Here is the routine I started 2 days ago and will stick with it for a little bit.

Mon: Chest/abs
Tues: Back
Weds: OFF
Thurs: Shoulders/abs
Fri: Legs/cardio
Sat: Arms/abs
Sun: Off
That looks ok. Id probably switch Fri/Sat just so you have more times for your arms to recover before getting back on the chest workout.

Also..EAT EAT EAT. 3000+ calories a day. Count them

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
That looks ok. Id probably switch Fri/Sat just so you have more times for your arms to recover before getting back on the chest workout.

Also..EAT EAT EAT. 3000+ calories a day. Count them
Shoulders don't work the bi's at all? Or hardly enough to affect anything?

MachX2 is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Shoulders don't work the bi's at all? Or hardly enough to affect anything?
They do on some exercises. Shoulder shrugs on a barbell or dumbbells wont work the bi's much. Those are more straight arm exercises. You will work your bi's much more with your back exercises

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: lewisville
Posts: 112
What I work at is 12 sets per muscle group 5 days to 6 days a week (split back into two days), if your trying to bulk set ur reps at maybe 6 to 8 reps per set till failure on the last 6 or 8 rep, even go for a 2 or 3 rep failure, this has worked for me, but remember it takes time to build muscle DO NOT skip a day at the gym, eat a crap load of food and keep ur cardio at 20mins after lifting at maybe 3 days a week depending on how much your intake of food is.
Blown90GT is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown90GT View Post
What I work at is 12 sets per muscle group 5 days to 6 days a week (split back into two days), if your trying to bulk set ur reps at maybe 6 to 8 reps per set till failure on the last 6 or 8 rep, even go for a 2 or 3 rep failure, this has worked for me, but remember it takes time to build muscle DO NOT skip a day at the gym, eat a crap load of food and keep ur cardio at 20mins after lifting at maybe 3 days a week depending on how much your intake of food is.
Thanks, yeah I plan to try the lower reps on arms day and see how it works for me. Mainly for my tris, I need to beef them up cause they just look pathetic haha.

MachX2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome