Push ups/pull ups - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Push ups/pull ups

What are some of the best workouts/exercises to help improve/increase the number of pull ups/push ups I can do?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Lifer

Push ups and Pull ups.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger View Post
Push ups and Pull ups.
No, that's not helping at all.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Lifer

Bench press, and for pull ups working out your lats and bisceps.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Lifer

Seriously losing weight also. The main thing like said above is to just keep doing more.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Wolverines!!!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Lifer

Just about anything that works your back, biceps, pecs, and triceps.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 AM
WTF is Zed?

Weight assited pull ups at the gym will get you on the right path. So will push ups on your knees.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Time Served

I heard from a wise coach if you can't do so many push ups you're either too fat or too weak.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
I heard from a wise coach if you can't do so many push ups you're either too fat or too weak.
If you think about it pull ups get easier the less weigh you have to pull up. I'm currently training for an LEO position and have to be at 100 push ups, and 100 situps.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Lifer

I found the only thing to help with pull ups is just that - pull ups. I started doing other back exericses in lieu of pulls up and my pull up count actually went down due to me putting on fat/muscle and those specific muscles weren't being worked. This is even after doubling my weight on lat pull downs.

I correct push up is a lot harder and you rarely ever see anyone do them properly. Swinging your feet and using your momentum to lift yourself is not a correct push up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
I correct push up is a lot harder and you rarely ever see anyone do them properly. Swinging your feet and using your momentum to lift yourself is not a correct push up.
How exactly does one swing their legs doing a push up?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
How exactly does one swing their legs doing a push up?
I meant pull up. I don't know how I got confused. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
tex
Lifer

For pushups, use inclines or knee pushups to continue working past your normal failure spot, and use pullup negatives to do the same w/ pullups, using a step or jumping to the top position, and fighting gravity.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
I found the only thing to help with pull ups is just that - pull ups. I started doing other back exericses in lieu of pulls up and my pull up count actually went down due to me putting on fat/muscle and those specific muscles weren't being worked. This is even after doubling my weight on lat pull downs.

Learning how to do a proper kipping pull up can do great things for your dead hang pull ups.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Time Served

Pushups till you can't do anymore, then "girl pushups" till muscle failure. This is what we did in basic training =P They made us do them till we couldnt even do the worm to get up. Went in able to do like 28 pushups total and came out doing about 78 "correct pushups" in 2 minutes. Can I do that now? No, but am working my way their again lol. I can do about 70 total now.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Pushups till you can't do anymore, then "girl pushups" till muscle failure. This is what we did in basic training =P They made us do them till we couldnt even do the worm to get up. Went in able to do like 28 pushups total and came out doing about 78 "correct pushups" in 2 minutes. Can I do that now? No, but am working my way their again lol. I can do about 70 total now.
It's pretty sad, i'm maxing out at 34/35 correct pushups. But then again I've never played a sport where upper body strength was a necessity; which is why I'm wanting to find out what will help me increase the number I can do.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
It's pretty sad, i'm maxing out at 34/35 correct pushups. But then again I've never played a sport where upper body strength was a necessity; which is why I'm wanting to find out what will help me increase the number I can do.
Yeah, the one I said works great! We did it daily of course. But only about once a day to muscle failure. That was in a 8 week period also btw.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Lifer

dip chin assist machine. i use this everytime at the gym and it is good for your lats shoulders and gives your upper body a good workout. try to do them as slow as possible for full effect

98 Brokra
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96BluOvl View Post
If you think about it pull ups get easier the less weigh you have to pull up. I'm currently training for an LEO position and have to be at 100 push ups, and 100 situps.
How fast do you have to do your 100/100?

Buying dogs kills.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement