Push ups/pull ups - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Push ups/pull ups

What are some of the best workouts/exercises to help improve/increase the number of pull ups/push ups I can do?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Lifer
 
93powerranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NRH
Posts: 1,294
Push ups and Pull ups.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
93powerranger is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger View Post
Push ups and Pull ups.
No, that's not helping at all.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Bench press, and for pull ups working out your lats and bisceps.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Lifer
 
96BluOvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX.
Posts: 4,117
Seriously losing weight also. The main thing like said above is to just keep doing more.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
96BluOvl is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
SlowLX is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,163
Just about anything that works your back, biceps, pecs, and triceps.

Taylor is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 AM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
Weight assited pull ups at the gym will get you on the right path. So will push ups on your knees.
UserX is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 726
I heard from a wise coach if you can't do so many push ups you're either too fat or too weak.
srt-4_i_swear is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Lifer
 
96BluOvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX.
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
I heard from a wise coach if you can't do so many push ups you're either too fat or too weak.
If you think about it pull ups get easier the less weigh you have to pull up. I'm currently training for an LEO position and have to be at 100 push ups, and 100 situps.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
96BluOvl is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
I found the only thing to help with pull ups is just that - pull ups. I started doing other back exericses in lieu of pulls up and my pull up count actually went down due to me putting on fat/muscle and those specific muscles weren't being worked. This is even after doubling my weight on lat pull downs.

I correct push up is a lot harder and you rarely ever see anyone do them properly. Swinging your feet and using your momentum to lift yourself is not a correct push up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
WTF is Zed?
 
UserX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
I correct push up is a lot harder and you rarely ever see anyone do them properly. Swinging your feet and using your momentum to lift yourself is not a correct push up.
How exactly does one swing their legs doing a push up?
UserX is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
How exactly does one swing their legs doing a push up?
I meant pull up. I don't know how I got confused. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
For pushups, use inclines or knee pushups to continue working past your normal failure spot, and use pullup negatives to do the same w/ pullups, using a step or jumping to the top position, and fighting gravity.
tex is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
I found the only thing to help with pull ups is just that - pull ups. I started doing other back exericses in lieu of pulls up and my pull up count actually went down due to me putting on fat/muscle and those specific muscles weren't being worked. This is even after doubling my weight on lat pull downs.

I correct push up is a lot harder and you rarely ever see anyone do them properly. Swinging your feet and using your momentum to lift yourself is not a correct push up.
Learning how to do a proper kipping pull up can do great things for your dead hang pull ups.
exlude is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Pushups till you can't do anymore, then "girl pushups" till muscle failure. This is what we did in basic training =P They made us do them till we couldnt even do the worm to get up. Went in able to do like 28 pushups total and came out doing about 78 "correct pushups" in 2 minutes. Can I do that now? No, but am working my way their again lol. I can do about 70 total now.

MachX2 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Pushups till you can't do anymore, then "girl pushups" till muscle failure. This is what we did in basic training =P They made us do them till we couldnt even do the worm to get up. Went in able to do like 28 pushups total and came out doing about 78 "correct pushups" in 2 minutes. Can I do that now? No, but am working my way their again lol. I can do about 70 total now.
It's pretty sad, i'm maxing out at 34/35 correct pushups. But then again I've never played a sport where upper body strength was a necessity; which is why I'm wanting to find out what will help me increase the number I can do.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
It's pretty sad, i'm maxing out at 34/35 correct pushups. But then again I've never played a sport where upper body strength was a necessity; which is why I'm wanting to find out what will help me increase the number I can do.
Yeah, the one I said works great! We did it daily of course. But only about once a day to muscle failure. That was in a 8 week period also btw.

MachX2 is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Lifer
 
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: DFW
Posts: 13,083
dip chin assist machine. i use this everytime at the gym and it is good for your lats shoulders and gives your upper body a good workout. try to do them as slow as possible for full effect

98 Brokra
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Pushed to the limit
 
PWTRTXSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In the shadow of a big mountain
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96BluOvl View Post
If you think about it pull ups get easier the less weigh you have to pull up. I'm currently training for an LEO position and have to be at 100 push ups, and 100 situps.
How fast do you have to do your 100/100?

Buying dogs kills.
PWTRTXSS is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 90
Breadman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome