Runners - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Runners

Any good forums out there. Since my injury kept me off the weights, I got into running more and more and more. I'm no full marathon guy, but I would like to try out a half marathon sometime next year. If you would have told me I would be asking about this a year ago, I would have laughed my ass off.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Any good forums out there. Since my injury kept me off the weights, I got into running more and more and more. I'm no full marathon guy, but I would like to try out a half marathon sometime next year. If you would have told me I would be asking about this a year ago, I would have laughed my ass off.
I'm right there with you. I used to really hate running/jogging, but I've gotten to the point where I kinda look forward to it. Fresh air, peace and quiet and just me and the road. Takes the daily stress away.

I might try a mini marathon some time next year. I know White Rock has a few through out the year you could look into.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I'm right there with you. I used to really hate running/jogging, but I've gotten to the point where I kinda look forward to it. Fresh air, peace and quiet and just me and the road. Takes the daily stress away.

I might try a mini marathon some time next year. I know White Rock has a few through out the year you could look into.
You should at least try the warrior dash. I know a few of us on here are doing it. It's not really a running competition, but it looks like a hell of a time and gives you a goal to shoot for and a timeline.


http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_texas.php

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin area
Posts: 222
I live outside of Austin and we have a running store down here called Runtex. Anyways they have a Forum attached to there website www.runtex.com.
Also check out Dallas running club (DRC). It's pretty addicting I got big into running again about 2 years ago. This past August I participated in a relay race called Hood to Coast in Oregon 197 mile's over 36 hrs. And recently participated in my first 2 Halfs. Good luck with the training. Hard work pay's off.
90lxstangman is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Strychnine is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Yeah. I just found that earlier and have been soaking up info like a sponge. At 6'4 and 220, am I considered a Clydesdale?

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxstangman View Post
I live outside of Austin and we have a running store down here called Runtex. Anyways they have a Forum attached to there website www.runtex.com.
Also check out Dallas running club (DRC). It's pretty addicting I got big into running again about 2 years ago. This past August I participated in a relay race called Hood to Coast in Oregon 197 mile's over 36 hrs. And recently participated in my first 2 Halfs. Good luck with the training. Hard work pay's off.
I'm already working on a team for the HTC 2011. Next year's event was full on the first day of registration.
tex is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin area
Posts: 222
Right on Man I'm on Team no Fear all Beer. There is two of us from Texas on our team. We were trying to get a team together for the Texas independence relay but none of our NW friends wanted to fly out here.
90lxstangman is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:15 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Do you have a link for the Texas Independence relay?

I'll be pulling people from all over the US, old friends from HS and college days that have relocated. Considering the entry method for HTC, I'd say we probably have a 60% chance of getting a spot.
tex is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin area
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Do you have a link for the Texas Independence relay?

I'll be pulling people from all over the US, old friends from HS and college days that have relocated. Considering the entry method for HTC, I'd say we probably have a 60% chance of getting a spot.
www.texasindependencerelay.com

We are fortunate, our team finished up under 28 hours so we get to come back next year. My Marine corp buddy and I were trying to put together a team for this one.
90lxstangman is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
That looks like a good one, too.
tex is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Yeah. I just found that earlier and have been soaking up info like a sponge. At 6'4 and 220, am I considered a Clydesdale?
Yep, anything over 200 is considered Clydesdale class.
The white rock marathon and half marathon is def. the best around here, by far. I have done the full marathon once and the half marathon twice. I did another half marathon called the texas half which is also around white rock, but they don't have nearly the support and its in Feb. so its balls cold.
The 8 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving is a great precourser to the Half, I have found.
ma bull is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma bull View Post
Yep, anything over 200 is considered Clydesdale class.
The white rock marathon and half marathon is def. the best around here, by far. I have done the full marathon once and the half marathon twice. I did another half marathon called the texas half which is also around white rock, but they don't have nearly the support and its in Feb. so its balls cold.
The 8 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving is a great precourser to the Half, I have found.
Ha, I didn't realize I'm a Clydesdale, too! Although, I'll probably end up a hair under that by spring.
tex is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
The Medium Kabuki
 
kenny c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxstangman View Post
I live outside of Austin
<--- location check

Are you running the Austin marathon? I'm in Cedar Park. I'm pretty slow (best 10k is ~48mins), but I will be running Austin for my first full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
kenny c is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 229
http://www.coolrunning.com/

For any beginners, the couch to 5k program on this site really works. You sound like you are further along than that though.
Leadfoot is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin area
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
<--- location check

Are you running the Austin marathon? I'm in Cedar Park. I'm pretty slow (best 10k is ~48mins), but I will be running Austin for my first full.
I live in Salado. I will be running the Half. I'm shooting for the Marine Corp Marathon next year for my first full. 48 min's not to shabby. I typically average about 40-48 minutes in 10k.
90lxstangman is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,249
FSON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome