Bicycle Questions - Trek 820 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Bicycle Questions - Trek 820

I got this bike mainly for exercise, and now I realize that I use it more on the roads/sidewalks then I do on any sort of dirt or grass. Right now it has Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0" on it (a mountain bike tire), and I am wanting to get a tire better suited for road use. Any suggestions on a tire, and is it weird to take a mountain bike and do this? Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I know a road bike would suit my purpose better but until I don't have the money nor do I trust those tiny tires to hold my 260lbs.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Lifer

don't worry about road tires, they work great on road bikes for all riders although you have to put about a jillion psi in them at your weight.

Most bike shops sell a hybrid tire that will work great on pavement and fit on your rims. Normally they're 10-20$ each.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Lifer

i bought a trek 830 a week ago, for the same reasons pretty much, plus my cousin and a bunch of people ride the trails at tyler state park and such. I mainly stick to roads and light trails right now while i get used to it, plus i went full rigid frame cause my current weight is a bit much to wrestle a suspension bike. but i have to put a shitload of air in the tires before i ride, pain in the ass. speaking of pain in the ass, i replaced the seat with this kick ass one called the easy-seat.. i have a bad lower back pain and its made it easier to ride longer without feeling like someone drop kicked my twig and berries.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Lifer

Hell no it's not weird. I've gone through tons of bikes in my years ranging between road to bmx and everything in between. Just bought a GT avalanche 2.0 mountain bike because I work summers in the mountains of New Mexico. I have a 4 mile hilly bike ride between my place and work every day, but I wanted to enjoy the mountain trails during the weekends, so I opted out of a road bike.

Just go grab some tires that are relatively smooth, but not slicks that are 26 x 1.5-2.0. I can't remember the name of the ones I just bought for my bike but they make commuting on the road a blast, should cost about $25/tire
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I looked up that easy seat and for some reason it strikes me as hilarious. Something about the "split cheek" design just makes me laugh.

Thanks for the info, I am interested to see how the new tires will feel and effect riding. Maybe I will get whitewalls like on my GF's cruiser...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Lifer

it looks funny but it's better than feeling like someone is standing on your nuts after a good ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement