Trying to tone up & Change my diet. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Trying to tone up & Change my diet.

Since May 31, I have been in the gym at night trying to tone my ass back up- I have dropped 2 jean sizes which is great, but I still can't tell much difference, so last night I decided to change my diet.

I am at the gym 2 hours a night during the week and 3 hours on the weekend, I do an hour of cardio (5-6 miles on the eliptical machine) the stair stepper for a mile (20 minutes) arm & leg weights, squats, 200 crunches on the ball and the steam room. Is there something I should change or something I should add to that a night? Or keep it that way and see what changing my diet will do? (And yes, I am a person that over night want to see results lol)

I have been eatting every 4 hours trying to cut out the crap I eat and halfing my portions of everything and only drink water. But last night I bought some stuff, but I just really don't know what to cook thats actually simple and doesn't taste like crap.

So this morning, I had egg whites, 2 strips of crunched up bacon and a little cheese. 4 hours.... fixed Vanilla yogurt with strawberries and blueberries and granola. Turkey Sandwich for lunch, whole wheat bread, mustard and yogurt....4 hours... tuna snack kit then have no idea what to fix for dinner. I am going to try to do this everyday but would like to change it up, just dont know with what so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Undietaker is my hero.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Lifer

Dropping two jean sizes is pretty good in that amount of time. When you say you don't see a difference, what do you mean? Like in the stomach area, your butt, thighs, what do you mean? And you could also be gaining muscles in some areas like your legs and such since you do so much cardio and that could be a reason you aren't seeing a difference in your leg area if that is one of the areas you aren't seeing a difference.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Lifer

1) Cut out the bacon and cheese for one.
2) Some yogurts are not good for you(mainly due to the sugars)
(I like to stick to the expensive organics or greek yogurts).
3) This shit doesn't come fast or easy.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
Dropping two jean sizes is pretty good in that amount of time. When you say you don't see a difference, what do you mean? Like in the stomach area, your butt, thighs, what do you mean? And you could also be gaining muscles in some areas like your legs and such since you do so much cardio and that could be a reason you aren't seeing a difference in your leg area if that is one of the areas you aren't seeing a difference.
I just haven't seen a difference in weight or anything like that, it was just my jeans. And I would really like to lose an extra 10-15lbs. I guess the difference I have seen is in my legs but nothing else really. I really want to get rid of my little love handles I have going on and flatten my stomach out completely. What excercises will make your love handles go away or is that over time with the cardio?

2004 Cobra
Quote:
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
1) Cut out the bacon and cheese for one.
2) Some yogurts are not good for you(mainly due to the sugars)
(I like to stick to the expensive organics or greek yogurts).
3) This shit doesn't come fast or easy.
1. Now I am confused lol... the book I am reading (Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads) says to always have some type of meat with what you eat ever 4 hours. So is turkey bacon not good for you?

2. I looked at the greek yogurt the other day but didn't know if it was better for you or not. This yogurt I bought last night is the Yoplait plus or something.

3. NO crap lol

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I just haven't seen a difference in weight or anything like that, it was just my jeans. And I would really like to lose an extra 10-15lbs. I guess the difference I have seen is in my legs but nothing else really. I really want to get rid of my little love handles I have going on and flatten my stomach out completely. What excercises will make your love handles go away or is that over time with the cardio?
Like Stangin was saying, the diet is the trick. There are no exercises that will reduce fat in a certain location, and love handles will only go away with super clean dieting. Understand that when we say diet, we mean the way you eat as a lifestyle, not a fad diet. Clean up the sugars and fats, and you will notice a change gradually, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Here is an example of what I eat.

Morning,
4 boiled egg whites,
Oatmeal
1 25 gram protein shake

10am

Broccoli ( 1 cup )
1 - 6 TO 8 OZ chicken breast

lunch

8oz salmon
brown rice
sweet potato

late afternoon
Pre-workout shake
banana / pineapple slices

after workout
protein shake
potoato

dinner
lean beef - 8 oz
salad

late snack -
Low fat cottage cheese

Its an absolute nightmare to follow this, but as you can see, it has worked for me,

**FYI - I only touch a tad of alcohol every other saturday , If i have something to do **
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Again... I take the road less traveled by and say you are over exercising and not eating enough. Im going to reference my girlfriends times/distances on the elliptical and stairmill to yours. I know the machines dont give exact numbers as far as calories are burned but...

5-6 miles on the elliptical is an easy 500 calories
20 min on the stairs is probably 100 calories
weights/crunches/lunges 200 calories?

You are trying to burn to many calories in one session. Focus on a slow, constant exercise like slow jogging or fast walking. The stairmill is a great. Dont let your heartrate get over 140bpm. Over 140bpm will get you into a more anaerobic exercise and you will not get enough oxygen. This is when your body goes into breaking down glycogen instead of fat. Not what you want. If you get above the threshold, you have to break down a good 300g of glycogen before you will turn to burning fat or more than likely muscle (protein). They key to losing fat is to get the body into a comfortable environment and trick it into letting fat storage go. This is where eating 5-6 meals a day comes in. If the body doesnt have to worry about nutrients/energy coming in, it can let go of excess storage.

I posted this up a while ago...if you have a lot of time on your hands...read it. Its like 300 pages worth of proper dieting and exercise for fat loss. Its called "Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle". You can do a search on bodybuilding.com and it has helped tons of people lose lots of weight. The key is the proper mindset, nutrition, exercise, and determination.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F49LQ3XN

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

Last edited by 8mpg; 08-04-2009 at 03:34 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Again... I take the road less traveled by and say you are over exercising and not eating enough. Im going to reference my girlfriends times/distances on the elliptical and stairmill to yours. I know the machines dont give exact numbers as far as calories are burned but...

5-6 miles on the elliptical is an easy 500 calories
20 min on the stairs is probably 100 calories
weights/crunches/lunges 200 calories?

You are trying to burn to many calories in one session. Focus on a slow, constant exercise like slow jogging or fast walking. The stairmill is a great. Dont let your heartrate get over 140bpm. Over 140bpm will get you into a more anaerobic exercise and you will not get enough oxygen. This is when your body goes into breaking down glycogen instead of fat. Not what you want. If you get above the threshold, you have to break down a good 300g of glycogen before you will turn to burning fat or more than likely muscle (protein). They key to losing fat is to get the body into a comfortable environment and trick it into letting fat storage go. This is where eating 5-6 meals a day comes in. If the body doesnt have to worry about nutrients/energy coming in, it can let go of excess storage.

I posted this up a while ago...if you have a lot of time on your hands...read it. Its like 300 pages worth of proper dieting and exercise for fat loss. Its called "Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle". You can do a search on bodybuilding.com and it has helped tons of people lose lots of weight. The key is the proper mindset, nutrition, exercise, and determination.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F49LQ3XN
Printing that off right now! Thank you!

I don't know if I could eat more....I feel full all day now already

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Timmay

Quote:
Printing that off right now! Thank you!

I don't know if I could eat more....I feel full all day now already
get a polar f6 if you're interested in the calories you burn. it's a heart rate monitor.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
get a polar f6 if you're interested in the calories you burn. it's a heart rate monitor.
I saw those and thought about getting one.

As of today....down 4lbs!!!!!

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Resident Ankle Biter

Just wanted to add my .02 on yogurt.

Go for organic PLAIN yogurt and add your own fruit puree and honey or agave juice. You can also add some wheat germ or granola for a full meal.

It takes some getting used to but is soooo much better for you. Besides the obvious HFCS and weird chemicals flavored yogurt has, plain yogurt (look for ones with live and active cultures) helps to keep everything in your GI tract moving smoothly and ups your immune system. There was a study that showed people who consumed 3 servings of dairy daily lost more weight than non-dairy eaters. And since it is a high protein, it keeps you fuller longer.

My two favorites are Fage 2% (Whole Foods), and Blue Mountain (Whole Foods and Tom Thumb).

My land is bare of chattering folk; the clouds are low along the ridges,
and sweet's the air with curly smoke from all my burning bridges.
~Dorothy Parker~
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Every day is.............

Brit, Tim (8mpg) had some excellent advice. Pushing your muscles hard can add muscle weight/bulk. A slow repetitive workout "might" be best for you by keeping your heart rate just under max level.

Also, you have to train your body to know what you are going to eat and how much. This "training" sets precedents of burning "x" amount of calories consistently.

All this said, each person is different and you have to find what works (and what doesn't) for you specifically. I am a good example of what I have been talking about. I can take in sick amounts of carbs (and do) on a regular basis and not gain as much as most people would. Of course, I'm over my ideal weight by quite a bit but can lose fairly easy when I really try.

Good luck and stick with it.

David
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I really want to get rid of my little love handles I have going on and flatten my stomach out completely. What excercises will make your love handles go away or is that over time with the cardio?
This happens pretty much through diet alone. Bodyfat only hides the gains you get through your crunches and cardio. Be well and breathe deep.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Are you really spending 3 hrs in the gym working out??
Come on Country, lets be real....

If you stop sucking down Sonic Tator Tots it may help a little.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Lifer

i lost about 14 lbs by eating chicken breast ( tyson microwave) those 5 minute steamed vegetables in a bag granola bars and fruit no soft drinks and no sugar. do this while doing the eliptical about an hour a day and youll lose weight. sat and sun eat what you want

98 Brokra
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Are you really spending 3 hrs in the gym working out??
Come on Country, lets be real....

If you stop sucking down Sonic Tator Tots it may help a little.

you would be proud of me. Ask justin!!!

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
\(_o)/

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Baller

that's really not the best diet...for sudden impacts go on a super low carb diet as well as cutting out dairy.

It's hard to offer up advice on toning when I don't know what areas you're trying to tone, and where you need work. But I'm also not even gonna suggest offering up pics on this site...haha.

I would say to vary your cardio, don't get too comfortable on one machine. Try doing an early morning workout as well as your evening workout. Working out in the morning before any meals tends to burn more STORED energy. That is the approach I took when I wanted to lower by BF% quickly and it worked very well. I am already at a lower percentage as well.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

yeah, do cardio in the morning before u eat, and at night, after your last meal. This will help you drop lbs.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX View Post
LOL!

Britt, I thought you lost a lot of the pregnancy weight? How much are you trying to lose?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
LOL!

Britt, I thought you lost a lot of the pregnancy weight? How much are you trying to lose?
I did, but I would like to lose an extra 10- but toning back up is my main goal

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
T-MINUS

What are you at now?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links
Advertisement