mountainbikers - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

mountainbikers

hey any mountain bikers in here, did any of you upgrade your seat? i have been riding lately and my ass is freaking sore (no homo). i saw aftermarket seats at bicyclesinc but didn't know what to look for in it.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
hey any mountain bikers in here, did any of you upgrade your seat? i have been riding lately and my ass is freaking sore (no homo). i saw aftermarket seats at bicyclesinc but didn't know what to look for in it.
For the most part as seat is going to do 1 of 2 things for you, provide you more comfort or less weight. If you're not doing any racing or anything then you'll probably look for comfort in a saddle over less weight. The racing saddles can weigh quite a bit less but then again most aren't near as comfortable, the comfortable saddles typically weigh a lot more. So with that being said you just have to figure what's more important, the comfort of your rear or the overall weight?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Lifer

Last time I checked, Bicycles Inc had a seat trade in policy that works pretty well. Something like 48 hours to see if it works for you and if not, they will trade it off for another model.

As for me, my mountain seat errs on the side of comfort. It's a WTB saddle and I've never complained about it. Now the road bike is a different story. That route I went with weight savings combined with a saddle that I could live with. You can check out mtbr.com for reviews on saddles, but ultimateley (sp?) it's a personal fit.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
For the most part as seat is going to do 1 of 2 things for you, provide you more comfort or less weight. If you're not doing any racing or anything then you'll probably look for comfort in a saddle over less weight. The racing saddles can weigh quite a bit less but then again most aren't near as comfortable, the comfortable saddles typically weigh a lot more. So with that being said you just have to figure what's more important, the comfort of your rear or the overall weight?
i dont care about speed, just comfort.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
i dont care about speed, just comfort.
Then I'd go get the biggest most comfortable saddle you can find.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

thanks for the help, ill go by bicyclesinc and see what they got

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
You never go full retard

Any bike shop should have seats that they'll throw on a bike real quick for you to try out. If that shop won't then you should take a an afternoon and stop by Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson, I know they'll definitely get you set up with one.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Lifer

Yeah if you dont care about weight then get a gel seat. Also I would upgrade the seat post with one that is more adjustable. They make some with more adjustable rails for tilting as well.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Lifer

Hmmm...I'm in the saddle about 1/2 the time on my mountainbike. You tend to get used to your saddle with enough time. Keep the weight down as much as possible.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Lifer

I think a good fitting will do wonders too. Having the saddle at the right position does wonders as well as the bars. I have a carbon seat on my bike with basically a flap of leather over it and I ride 4-5 days a week with no problems. I ride a road bike though.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
They make gel covers too that are cheap.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Hmmm...I'm in the saddle about 1/2 the time on my mountainbike. You tend to get used to your saddle with enough time. Keep the weight down as much as possible.
Agreed. It really only bothered my in the beginning. I'd definitely check out the WTB line of saddles. I've had one on my mtn bike for almost a year and have had any complaints out of it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I'm on my 3rd or 4th seat on mine and I still haven't found one I really like.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Time Served

The gel seat worked great for me!

93 ssp notch
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
wishin i had a fast car

Get some bike shorts with the padding in the rear end and crotch area. it makes a difference.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee earley View Post
Get some bike shorts with the padding in the rear end and crotch area. it makes a difference.
thats exactly what i was gonna say.

anyway if you don't already have some with the padding go out and buy a pair and try them out. it is a night and day diffrence. they range from 20-60 bux depending on the style.

edit: it does feel kinda funny tho.. like you pooped your pants or something, lol but they are necessary.

http://banamex.mybrute.com

01 silver lightning
FOR SALE
* Lightning supercharger set up.*$800
-supercharger, intake manifold, intercooler, fuel rails, and 7 42lb injectors. plus misc.. parts
*4.6/5.4 Cobra water pump $60
*4R100 with 36k miles $800
Turbo 5.4 is a thief
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee earley View Post
i wear sweat pants or soccer shorts when i ride. i am gonna try the gel pad mentioned above first if that doesnt help i will get some bike shorts and just wear them under my regular shorts if i have to

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:50 AM
You never go full retard

Quote:
i wear sweat pants or soccer shorts when i ride. i am gonna try the gel pad mentioned above first if that doesnt help i will get some bike shorts and just wear them under my regular shorts if i have to
You can get these in several different forms, they come in shorts that you'd were under your normal ones, and then you can actually get padded cargo shorts.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I have a pair I got at academy that look like regular jean shorts. But as mentioned, the padding makes a huge difference.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
i would honestly go buy a pair of shorts before the gel pad. I would think the gel pad will make the seat feel bulky.. idk. the shorts are the way to go IMHO

http://banamex.mybrute.com

01 silver lightning
FOR SALE
* Lightning supercharger set up.*$800
-supercharger, intake manifold, intercooler, fuel rails, and 7 42lb injectors. plus misc.. parts
*4.6/5.4 Cobra water pump $60
*4R100 with 36k miles $800
Turbo 5.4 is a thief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement