adding weight/lean muscle - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

adding weight/lean muscle

tiny tims post got me thinking and now i have a question for you workout guru's.

i've been working about for 4months now, first 2 1/2 months were mainly cardio(treadmill) and the last couple now have been mainly lifting weights. I've gone from 205 to 170 and now everybody is saying that i don't need to lose anymore weight. Can i put on weight/lean muscle and still get rid of what little gut i have left at the same time? (it's not much of one, but i want to get it where my stomach muscles at the bottom show too)

Do i still keep at the cardio, but not just as much?

on the adding weight/muscle, i keep on eating what i have been, but just more of it, correct?

just like Robert said in the other Tiny Tims thread, it's been harder to get my brain to let me eat more than what i have the past 4months

to tell you the truth, i'm amazed that i've lost this much weight. Cause i have to be one of the laziest people i know lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 PM
drvng fstr thn u w/1 hand

How tall are you?

Keep your weight low and do many reps. Also, if you can, try and do compound movements. Keep your time between sets low as well. What you're going to want to try and achieve is a cardio workout through weight lifting.. In simplest terms. That will let you get away from a little of your cardio. Always go really clean with your diet, this will aid in getting you where you want to be sooner. Adding more clean calories throughout your day will help increase your lean mass if taking in the right calories.

To add, if you're looking for just burning calories on a treadmill, remember your calories lost isn't forever going to remain the same even under the same load. So switch it up. Walk backwards for a while... Or sideways. Steep incline, but not extreme and walk it. Cardio is great, so I'd say keep with it and look to add healthy calories with the lifting described.

militarysignatures.com

*SOLD*'04 Mystic Chrome Cobra
*SOLD*'03 DSG Lightning #55 of 4270

'94 Cobra
408 with a Vortech YSI strapped to it and all the goodies.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Whitepony View Post
How tall are you?

Keep your weight low and do many reps. Also, if you can, try and do compound movements. Keep your time between sets low as well. What you're going to want to try and achieve is a cardio workout through weight lifting.. In simplest terms. That will let you get away from a little of your cardio. Always go really clean with your diet, this will aid in getting you where you want to be sooner. Adding more clean calories throughout your day will help increase your lean mass if taking in the right calories.

To add, if you're looking for just burning calories on a treadmill, remember your calories lost isn't forever going to remain the same even under the same load. So switch it up. Walk backwards for a while... Or sideways. Steep incline, but not extreme and walk it. Cardio is great, so I'd say keep with it and look to add healthy calories with the lifting described.

i'm 6'2"

Surprisingly my diet has not been an issue during this time period. Luckily i love chicken and could eat it every day.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
drvng fstr thn u w/1 hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
i'm 6'2"

Surprisingly my diet has not been an issue during this time period. Luckily i love chicken and could eat it every day.
do you know where your protein intake daily is?

militarysignatures.com

*SOLD*'04 Mystic Chrome Cobra
*SOLD*'03 DSG Lightning #55 of 4270

'94 Cobra
408 with a Vortech YSI strapped to it and all the goodies.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Time Served

Continuing to eat clean will have the greatest effect on your body composition. How you should lift depends on your goals, how strong you want to be, and how much weight you want to gain, however, lifting heavy and not eating along with it will not necessarily add a ton of muscle, especially in the short term.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Hired Hand

Burning fat and gaining muscle require totally different approaches to diet and exercise. You can do them at the same time, but not effectively. I’d suggest that you commit to adding mass right now, and if you continue to eat clean, you shouldn’t put on much, if any, bodyfat. The added muscle will burn more calories at rest, and it will be that much easier to lean up, and take care of that last 5-10 lbs of fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
do you know where your protein intake daily is?

sure don't
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Burning fat and gaining muscle require totally different approaches to diet and exercise. You can do them at the same time, but not effectively. I’d suggest that you commit to adding mass right now, and if you continue to eat clean, you shouldn’t put on much, if any, bodyfat. The added muscle will burn more calories at rest, and it will be that much easier to lean up, and take care of that last 5-10 lbs of fat.

i think my main thing is that i need to lift more often than what i do. I need to join a gym but that cost money, so i'm limited on my exercises at the moment. I also need to buy a pullup bar to add to my exercises.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Lifer

See if you can join a community gym in your city, or see if the company you work for offers a reduced rate at a gym as a benefit.

I gotta tell you man, at 6'2 and 170, you need to add muscle mass. When you do that, your metabolism will eat away at any fat on your body.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I gotta tell you man, at 6'2 and 170, you need to add muscle mass. When you do that, your metabolism will eat away at any fat on your body.

I agree. I am 6'1" and never want to be below 180lbs again at the least. I can get real lean and probably be around 165 if I got cardio crazy. But I have been lifting seriously for a few years now and heavy for over a year now. I can be anywhere from 180lbs to 210lbs. I am currently lifting alot, eating a ton, and taking protein like crazy. At 200lbs even now, a good size for a sknny 6'1" guy.

go to the gym and lift, when you think you've had a good workout, go lift some more!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post
I agree. I am 6'1" and never want to be below 180lbs again at the least. I can get real lean and probably be around 165 if I got cardio crazy. But I have been lifting seriously for a few years now and heavy for over a year now. I can be anywhere from 180lbs to 210lbs. I am currently lifting alot, eating a ton, and taking protein like crazy. At 200lbs even now, a good size for a sknny 6'1" guy.

go to the gym and lift, when you think you've had a good workout, go lift some more!

yeah, my first goal is to get to 185 just adding muscle
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
How tall are you?

do you have a routine/ plan for those type of workouts or know where i can find one?

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
I'm most definitely in the same boat. I have found a gym to go to that works within my budget. $25 a month with no contract. It has plenty of people there to help you understand what you're trying to do.

I agree with Aaron, The Raven. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I'm finally okay with putting a small amount of padding back on while building muscle. Honestly, so far, the swelling of my muscles seems to be the only thing getting bigger. The amount of fat has not changed, but it will be much easier to see the results of burning the fat off after I've gotten a good foundation of muscle.

One thing I keep hearing is that each time you go to burn fat or build muscle, it gets easier and easier as your body figures out what it's supposed to be doing.

The gym I go to is Flex Gym on the loop in the old wal-mart parking lot where we used to hang out way back in the day.

I'm still hovering around mid 180's, but at 6'1" I need more muscle. Folks I haven't seen in a few years barely recognize me.

i know a few people who go there, it's just way on the other side of town to where i work. I should at least go by and check it out i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement