Metabolism - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Metabolism

I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death.

But I'm looking for a supplement or pill that's good for keeping my metabolism up. I don't want to try a bunch of different pills and waste my money. And are there certain ones that would work better for women?

I've tried and I just can't bring myself to eat 5-6 small meals a day (I don't know how you men do it lol), if anything I just eat a small snack between meals, but that's not everyday. So I guess I'm just looking for a boost, but nothing that's going to make me jittery.

I do cardio (walk/jog 2-3.5 miles) every other day and do some light free weights, crunches, lunges (or attempt to) etc. I'm not getting into anything hardcore or disciplined, just doing it to feel better and hopefully have the added bonus of dropping a few LB's.

Also looking for recommendations on a detox cleanser. Someone recommended Sculpt N' Cleanse. Any input on that would be good too. I've never tried a colon/body cleanser & not looking forward to pooping a couple times a day, but I think I just have to do it lol

I'll give more info if needed, but any input would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
mannish boy

eat 5-6 small meals a day and keep active
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
eat 5-6 small meals a day and keep active
I just can't do the 5-6 meals a day, it's too much for me. And I stay active.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Lifer

Key word is "small" meals per day. Just something to keep your body constantly processing food. When it only gets one or two large meals per day, your body is generally in a hungry mode and does whatever it can to store the energy it gets in meals - as fat. Keep it fed and it won't attempt to store calories.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Key word is "small" meals per day. Just something to keep your body constantly processing food. When it only gets one or two large meals per day, your body is generally in a hungry mode and does whatever it can to store the energy it gets in meals - as fat. Keep it fed and it won't attempt to store calories.
I know, and I try to do that with a snack like apple slices w/ some natural peanut butter or pretzels. But I'm not usually hungry between breakfast & lunch and if I do snack, then I just feel too full. I just want something to give my metabolism a little kick in the pants.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5alive View Post
I know, and I try to do that with a snack like apple slices w/ some natural peanut butter or pretzels. But I'm not usually hungry between breakfast & lunch and if I do snack, then I just feel too full. I just want something to give my metabolism a little kick in the pants.
shoot greg a pm.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
shoot greg a pm.
Well I was hoping one of the workout guru guys would see this and point me in the right direction, and hopefully not break the bank in doing so lol
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I was hoping one of the workout guru guys would see this and point me in the right direction, and hopefully not break the bank in doing so lol
He is one of the guru guys. Are you trying to take a supplement, because really its already been covered on how to do it the right way.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
He is one of the guru guys. Are you trying to take a supplement, because really its already been covered on how to do it the right way.
Not real sure, more so just trying to see what supplement/pill would work best for a female with my activity level etc. I would more prefer to go the natural/herbal route... if there's such a way. But like I said, I don't want to just go out and try any brand or type and waste my money.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
shoot greg a pm.
Yup, he's the dopeman alright!
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Ole' ECA stack never fails.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
You could've asked that question at the same time as asking about Sculpt and cleanse.

I took Venom Hyperdrive to kick my metabolism into gear, add some energy, and burn fat. I coupled this with a daily 6 mile walk and minimum of 4 hours at sex. Dropped 25 lbs until I hit a plateau. Then I just had to change my routine a little.

This change consisted of eating much smaller portions, but more often. You can literally snack all day if you eat the right foods. I also dropped the Venom at this time.

When you have to have junk to ease a craving, then throw a bunch of jalepenos in with the meal. Hell, eat jalepenos with as much food as you can. They naturally help with metabolism, and are a great source of vitamin c.

WATER, water, water.. IN case you missed it, more water.
Well I wasn't really thinking too much about the metabolism thing when we talked yesterday. But I'll look into that Venom stuff. (even though my walking is only about 3 miles & there's no sex to be had LOL)

I plateaued very quickly once I dropped 7lbs, and now it just bounces up & down 3 or 4 lbs. I usually do coffee or green tea in the morning with a 90 calorie breakfast bar, a healthy & light lunch, then whatever's for dinner when I get home and sometimes I'll just eat a salad if I'm not up for a whole meal. I will snack at work sometimes, but on good stuff, not junk food. And I certainly can't do jalepenos, you know I'm too Yankee for that lol

I'm working on the water thing.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well I wasn't really thinking too much about the metabolism thing when we talked yesterday. But I'll look into that Venom stuff. (even though my walking is only about 3 miles & there's no sex to be had LOL)

I plateaued very quickly once I dropped 7lbs, and now it just bounces up & down 3 or 4 lbs. I usually do coffee or green tea in the morning with a 90 calorie breakfast bar, a healthy & light lunch, then whatever's for dinner when I get home and sometimes I'll just eat a salad if I'm not up for a whole meal. I will snack at work sometimes, but on good stuff, not junk food. And I certainly can't do jalepenos, you know I'm too Yankee for that lol

I'm working on the water thing.
Sounds to me like you have some wants in one hand, but only willing to give so much in the other.
This shit don't come easy, the question is...how bad do you want the results???
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Sounds to me like you have some wants in one hand, but only willing to give so much in the other.
This shit don't come easy, the question is...how bad do you want the results???
Well like I said originally, I'm not looking to do anything hardcore... I just want a boost. I'll be unhappy if I push myself too much at this point and will give up easily, if I start seeing more results, then the harder I'll push. If I could afford a trainer or someone to tell me what to do, working me slowly to suit me, then I would go that route, but I'm broke. I don't expect a miracle or anything, just something to help since I eat like a bird and just can't eat that much in one day.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Nobody needs a trainer. Get on the internet and READ. You will find everything you need and more.
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Lifer

What's wrong with a hardcore workout? Do you want results or not? Go bust your ass. It's supposed to hurt. If it hurts at 8 reps, do 12. If it hurts at 15, do 20.

You can't just eat more often and take a supplement. At some point you need to change your entire diet and activity regime to make significant changes.

Decide what you're going to do and commit.
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Well like I said originally, I'm not looking to do anything hardcore... I just want a boost. I'll be unhappy if I push myself too much at this point and will give up easily, if I start seeing more results, then the harder I'll push. If I could afford a trainer or someone to tell me what to do, working me slowly to suit me, then I would go that route, but I'm broke. I don't expect a miracle or anything, just something to help since I eat like a bird and just can't eat that much in one day.

You're looking for the easy way.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ok then, nevermind. You guys missed what I was trying to get at.

If any of the females have anything to add, then post up or PM me. Thanks.
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

No, your point was very clear, you want a "boost." You don't just take a magic pill and chill. it's called a supplement because it supplements your diet, training regiment. So it doesn't matter what brand pill you take, you won't be satisfied. These guys are trying to give you logical advice.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok then, nevermind. You guys missed what I was trying to get at.

If any of the females have anything to add, then post up or PM me. Thanks.
Okay, so female here......You really have to just change your eating habits and drink tons of water. No sodas. If you really are eating like a bird, then you need to eat like a bird more often. Stick an apple and cheese in your purse. Grab some rice cakes and peanut butter. And you have to do more than just cardio. I was only doing cardio back in December and started to add in some weights. Well that was all it took for me to see some changes. I now do cardio, body pump and weights. I am down 37 pounds and 2 dress sizes. Don't give up so easily. Trust me you can do it!! There is no quick boost. Like muff said, eat spicy stuff. It really does help too!

"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine." Elvis Presley

Dana
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Very Interesting

meth is your friend

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
No, your point was very clear, you want a "boost." You don't just take a magic pill and chill. it's called a supplement because it supplements your diet, training regiment. So it doesn't matter what brand pill you take, you won't be satisfied. These guys are trying to give you logical advice.
I'm pretty sure nowhere did I say that I wanted to "take a pill & chill". Go back and read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
Okay, so female here......You really have to just change your eating habits and drink tons of water. No sodas. If you really are eating like a bird, then you need to eat like a bird more often. Stick an apple and cheese in your purse. Grab some rice cakes and peanut butter. And you have to do more than just cardio. I was only doing cardio back in December and started to add in some weights. Well that was all it took for me to see some changes. I now do cardio, body pump and weights. I am down 37 pounds and 2 dress sizes. Don't give up so easily. Trust me you can do it!! There is no quick boost. Like muff said, eat spicy stuff. It really does help too!
I've changed my eating habits a lot from what it used to be. I used to not care what I ate and didn't do anything for exercise. I am mixing cardio & free weights, eating much healthier etc. Whats body pump?

These guys are talking like I'm looking for some easy way to drop some weight. I can only do so much from working out at home. I don't plan on abusing and/or staying on any kind of supplement, I'm not a retard guys.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

I did read, you basically said you didn't want to do anything "hardcore," which would probably be climbing a flight of stairs for you. I'm sure no one else will try to give you any more logical advice since you sound lazy and uncommited anyways. good luck.
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I did read, you basically said you didn't want to do anything "hardcore," which would probably be climbing a flight of stairs for you. I'm sure no one else will try to give you any more logical advice since you sound lazy and uncommited anyways. good luck.
Wow, you're an idiot.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, you're an idiot.
apparently not the only one.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I've changed my eating habits a lot from what it used to be. I used to not care what I ate and didn't do anything for exercise. I am mixing cardio & free weights, eating much healthier etc. Whats body pump?

These guys are talking like I'm looking for some easy way to drop some weight. I can only do so much from working out at home. I don't plan on abusing and/or staying on any kind of supplement, I'm not a retard guys.
Body pump is a class that has weights and is set to music. It is up beat and fun.

http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/me...s-program.aspx

look it up and see if they have a class around you. I dropped more and gained more strength doing this than I did with anything else I have done. It will come, you just have to keep plugging away at it. What ever you do, don't give up. I thought about doing a supplement but decided against it and will just keep going as is. I have hit two plateaus. Each time I just change up my routine and my eating habits.

Dana
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Body pump is a class that has weights and is set to music. It is up beat and fun.

http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/me...s-program.aspx

look it up and see if they have a class around you. I dropped more and gained more strength doing this than I did with anything else I have done. It will come, you just have to keep plugging away at it. What ever you do, don't give up. I thought about doing a supplement but decided against it and will just keep going as is. I have hit two plateaus. Each time I just change up my routine and my eating habits.
Nothing in the Fort Worth area for that class Looks fun though.

If I could afford to go to the gym, then I would do that. I hate the damn plateaus, I hit mine easily. I usually do give up after only a couple of weeks, but I've stayed with it for a couple of months now. So I'm just happy in that sense lol Thanks for your input on it
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Lifer

We don't get what you're saying?
Quote:
I've tried and I just can't bring myself to eat 5-6 small meals a day
Don't want to change your eating habits.
Quote:
I'm not looking to do anything hardcore... I just want a boost. I'll be unhappy if I push myself too much at this point and will give up easily
Don't want to change your exercise regime.
Quote:
I just want something to give my metabolism a little kick in the pants.
And expect this to result in weight loss.

Ain't gonna happen. Not trying to be mean at all - just saying that there is a lot of truth to "eat less and work more" resulting in increased metabolism / weight loss / overall health. Remember that muscle requires more calories to sustain than fat does, most studies show that a pound of muscle burns three times more calories than a pound of fat. That's why athletes have such a huge food intake. Justin, didn't you say you eat 30-something chicken breasts every day? Good God...

Read some of this, there is a lot of information out there. http://exercise.about.com/od/exercis...s/f/muscle.htm
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Nothing in the Fort Worth area for that class Looks fun though.

If I could afford to go to the gym, then I would do that. I hate the damn plateaus, I hit mine easily. I usually do give up after only a couple of weeks, but I've stayed with it for a couple of months now. So I'm just happy in that sense lol Thanks for your input on it
They have DVD's and such that you could purchase along with the weights. (save some cash and do it!!) Most of the women start with the bar and 10 pounds on each side. Then work up from there. It is really a good toning class. You should look into to this or maybe some Taebo. It is a lot of fun as well. Gets your blood pumping along with a bit of toning if you do the moves right.

Dana
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Grapevine Ford

Quote:
They have DVD's and such that you could purchase along with the weights. (save some cash and do it!!) Most of the women start with the bar and 10 pounds on each side. Then work up from there. It is really a good toning class. You should look into to this or maybe some Taebo. It is a lot of fun as well. Gets your blood pumping along with a bit of toning if you do the moves right.
24 hr fitness has something similar to body pump called 24 lift. It's a beating, but works.

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

There is no magic pill that is going to make you lose weight other than meth. No diet pill is going to magically raise your metabolism by 500 calories a day.

Also, dont expect fast drops in weight. Some people on the board think you can eat 1200 calories a day and lose weight...yeah, you will lose muscle and fast. A proper diet (6 meals) is the key. Health meals...no crap food.

Read the "Game Over" diet... The body is very complicated and the diet really does go into detail on why the diet is going to work. The physiological reasoning in the diet makes lots of sense.

http://www.scivationbooks.com/books/...verVolume4.pdf

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Rookie

It's really a way of life to have a nice body.
You can lose a small amount of weight with diet products, some more than others, however there's going to be that point in which the appetite suppression, or thermogenic, etc.. hits it's sticking point.

Ultimately you'll have to put in work to lose those extra lbs past that. Yes, diet products do help without a doubt in my mind, however they will not do everything for you. Just like everyone says, calories in calories out...

If you want to try a diet product im sure i can beat any price you can find. That and doing any sort of activity more than what you're doing now would be a good start. As you stop losing weight with that routine you have to make more adjustments in your diet and cardio.
Who knows, you may just turn into a gym rat like me.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
Alright, you need someone to tell you what to do? I just happen to have a dvd set that was handed to me in the beginnings of my weight loss by another board member, you know who you are and I thank you. It worked great, increased my flexibility, stamina, and toned me up to a point of wanting more.

You better actually want this. Follow the instructions. If you don't follow thru, then I'm kicking your ass!!

PM me you address. I make me a copy of some of the ones i want to continue, and ship it out.
PM sent, butthead

Thank you
post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

oh yeah...the whole "body detox" or "colon cleanse" is bullshit. There is no crap spackled to your intestines or colon. Besides...it is not like that "weight" is fat..it is internal weight. I guess it would make you happier to see you are down 5-10lbs (so they claim) but you still have the same amount of fat as you did before. Your stomach isnt going to go down. You will lose lots of water weight by getting a laxative and sitting on the toilet all day long

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
not exclude

Quote:
The workout gurus are going to tell you the same thing. If you want to bump up that metabolism, eat 5-6 small meals a day, exercise and get a good night's rest. It may seem old school, but that's the way the body works and it isn't going to change any time soon.

If you are having trouble getting those meals in, you have two things you need to focus on. 1) Make the meals smaller. If you can't fit a meal in between breakfast and lunch, your breakfast is too much. You don't have to eat until you're full, just until satiated. Also, you could eat breakfast earlier. 2) Prepare for the next day. Get your food packed up and ready to go the night before. Don't be counting on whims to decide what you're going to eat the next day.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
The workout gurus are going to tell you the same thing. If you want to bump up that metabolism, eat 5-6 small meals a day, exercise and get a good night's rest. It may seem old school, but that's the way the body works and it isn't going to change any time soon.

If you are having trouble getting those meals in, you have two things you need to focus on. 1) Make the meals smaller. If you can't fit a meal in between breakfast and lunch, your breakfast is too much. You don't have to eat until you're full, just until satiated. Also, you could eat breakfast earlier. 2) Prepare for the next day. Get your food packed up and ready to go the night before. Don't be counting on whims to decide what you're going to eat the next day.
Thank you!

Are snacky things ok to eat between meals? I usually eat some apple slices, sometimes with natural PB or some pretzel sticks (any snack recommendations would be great too). Even those keep me feeling somewhat full. The only thing I have for breakfast is my coffee or decaf green tea (using Truvia) with a breakfast bar, that's @ 8am. I try to snack @ around 10:30ish and have a light lunch @ 12, then snack again around 3ish and dinner around 6. If I'm thirsty I drink water, and I have a diet soda (which I have been drinking for years) with dinner.

I have my days where I either forget to snack in between because I'm not hungry or I just get busy at work. I get the "full" feeling easily and it makes me nauseous if I try to force myself to eat, this seems to be my problem. I guess I just have to get my body used to eating more often. I don't know how you guys eat a whole sandwich @ 10:30am then a whole lunch @ 12 LOL
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm over it!

Ive noticed when you stop drinking you drop all kinds of weight.

Before i was pregnant I ate 3 meals a day and snack at least 2 times a day. Trained in Muay Thai 3 times a week. ( i really reccomend this or at least cardio kickboxing at the gym.) You can drop weight in no time and you feel great. When i first started a couple of years ago i wanted to lose 20lbs and i lost in with in 2 months. So it is possible. I think with exercise, not partying as much, and snacking more than eating full meals your metabolism with will speed up. You have to be active to build a metabolism though.

post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
Ive noticed when you stop drinking you drop all kinds of weight.

Before i was pregnant I ate 3 meals a day and snack at least 2 times a day. Trained in Muay Thai 3 times a week. ( i really reccomend this or at least cardio kickboxing at the gym.) You can drop weight in no time and you feel great. When i first started a couple of years ago i wanted to lose 20lbs and i lost in with in 2 months. So it is possible. I think with exercise, not partying as much, and snacking more than eating full meals your metabolism with will speed up. You have to be active to build a metabolism though.
Well fortunately I don't party or drink very much, maybe once a month & it's not very much when I do drink.

I've been staying active, walking/jogging in my neighborhood (which I prefer because there's inclines and it's 3.5 miles long) or on the treadmill @ home and also using the elliptical in my room. Also use the workout ball & free weights, I'm always looking online for exercises to do. I do need to kick that up a notch though I guess.

Thanks!
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Well fortunately I don't party or drink very much, maybe once a month & it's not very much when I do drink.

I've been staying active, walking/jogging in my neighborhood (which I prefer because there's inclines and it's 3.5 miles long) or on the treadmill @ home and also using the elliptical in my room. Also use the workout ball & free weights, I'm always looking online for exercises to do. I do need to kick that up a notch though I guess.

Thanks!
List out everything you eat on a typical day... oh, and height/weight/age. Im really interested to see if you are going to far negative on calories that your body is trying to store everything as fat. When you dont get enough calories in a day, your body stores as much food as it can as fat for long term storage since it does not know when you will get food again, or how much.

When your body breaks down food, you first refill your glycogen storage in your liver. After that, it is stored for energy. Insulin spikes will tell your body to put all those extra glucose molecules into storage in fat cells. Your body is trying to conserve every darn calorie you take in because you might essentially be starving your body of calories.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Thank you!

Are snacky things ok to eat between meals? I usually eat some apple slices, sometimes with natural PB or some pretzel sticks (any snack recommendations would be great too). Even those keep me feeling somewhat full. The only thing I have for breakfast is my coffee or decaf green tea (using Truvia) with a breakfast bar, that's @ 8am. I try to snack @ around 10:30ish and have a light lunch @ 12, then snack again around 3ish and dinner around 6. If I'm thirsty I drink water, and I have a diet soda (which I have been drinking for years) with dinner.

I have my days where I either forget to snack in between because I'm not hungry or I just get busy at work. I get the "full" feeling easily and it makes me nauseous if I try to force myself to eat, this seems to be my problem. I guess I just have to get my body used to eating more often. I don't know how you guys eat a whole sandwich @ 10:30am then a whole lunch @ 12 LOL
My favorite snacks are always fruits or veggies. Pretzels aren't a good snack as they are pretty much exclusively simple carbs. 1 or 1/2 of a protein shake is always a good snack too.

Be careful with the replacement sweeteners. Research is growing about their affects on blood insulin levels. It's been shown that artificial sweeteners spike your insulin just like sugar does, which will force whatever actual sugar you have in your blood into fat stores...depriving you of energy and slowing your metabolism. I'm not saying hardcore cut them out or anything, but know that they have a very similar affect on your body as does sugar.
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

What is your current height, weight, and age ?

Are you eating at last 1200 calories a day in a high protein, low fat diet ?

The National Institutes of Health's obesity guidelines recommend aiming for a diet that is about 1,200 calories per day minimum. This will vary for men (1,200 to 1,500 calories per day) and women (1,000 to 1,200 calories per day.

Republicans drove the car off the cliff and democrats had to do all of the work getting it back out of the ditch

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds at dfwstangs.net

MONEY NEVER SLEEPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
When you pull in 20 million percent a year like BULLET, you have your share of 5 and 6 figure days!

GENUFLECT TO THE BULLET

FACTS ARE LIKE ACID TO THE SKIN OF REPUBLICONS
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
What is your current height, weight, and age ?

Are you eating at last 1200 calories a day in a high protein, low fat diet ?

The National Institutes of Health's obesity guidelines recommend aiming for a diet that is about 1,200 calories per day minimum. This will vary for men (1,200 to 1,500 calories per day) and women (1,000 to 1,200 calories per day.
get out of here with your 1200cals bullshit

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
My favorite snacks are always fruits or veggies. Pretzels aren't a good snack as they are pretty much exclusively simple carbs. 1 or 1/2 of a protein shake is always a good snack too.

Be careful with the replacement sweeteners. Research is growing about their affects on blood insulin levels. It's been shown that artificial sweeteners spike your insulin just like sugar does, which will force whatever actual sugar you have in your blood into fat stores...depriving you of energy and slowing your metabolism. I'm not saying hardcore cut them out or anything, but know that they have a very similar affect on your body as does sugar.
i wonder if those insulin spikes could be used for post workout recovery without all the extra calories that are usually needed for the the 80-100g post workout carbs that you see recommended to prevent further muscle catabolism and help you return to anabolism.
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
I don't know if it is bullshit. My doc had me on 1200 cals a day (still does actually). It is plenty and I am dropping weight at a normal rate, 2 pounds or so a week. Exercise, proper eating (good healthy foods with as little processed foods as possible), lots of water and portion control; these seem to be what is working best for me. But then again, we are all different and need to work it out however it works best.

Dana
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
i wonder if those insulin spikes could be used for post workout recovery without all the extra calories that are usually needed for the the 80-100g post workout carbs that you see recommended to prevent further muscle catabolism and help you return to anabolism.
yes it can be, but it must be supplemented. Your body wont spike high enough and fast enough to accomplish what you are wanting to do. I have read about diabetics doing it, but it is very dangerous due to the high chances of hypoglycemia.

You body will only spike as high as it needs to. Complex carbs take time to break down and will not spike your blood sugar like say a soda that is loaded with sugar. I have read over a few diets that body builders recommend drinking a mix of dextrose (simple sugar) and water throughout your workout and after for an insulin spike.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
I don't know if it is bullshit. My doc had me on 1200 cals a day (still does actually). It is plenty and I am dropping weight at a normal rate, 2 pounds or so a week. Exercise, proper eating (good healthy foods with as little processed foods as possible), lots of water and portion control; these seem to be what is working best for me. But then again, we are all different and need to work it out however it works best.
Not trying to be nosy...by how much do you weigh. You are a girl which requires less calories to begin with. A normal deficit of 500 calories or so a day is ok. Bullet keeps recommending people of any size to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. Someone who needs 2200 calories to maintain their weight should not be eating 1200 calories and then work out. Being negative 1500 calories a day is not healthy. Your body is burning to much energy and calories and cannot maintain itself in a healthy manner. There is not such thing as a healthy rapid weight loss.

If you, as a girl, was supposed to eat 1600 calories a day and are eating 1200, that is ok. Me, on the other hand, Im supposed to eat 2500 calories a day...1200 it not ok for me. I have argued this with Bullet a couple times now. I work with 3 dietitians at work..I have asked them. I have done my own research on proper dieting (healthy foods and working out...no pills or crazy coffee diet), and it all says the same thing. 500 calorie a day deficit, maybe more if you are grossly over weight. Losing over 2lbs a week is not healthy and more than likely muscle atrophy and loss of water weight.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
you still have yet to disprove that I was eating 1200 calories or less a day from you last little BS posting.

I can name a dozen people on this site alone who are trying to stay in the 1200 calorie range to lose weight and have been successful.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to be a body builder, or gain muscle/strength, then 1200 calories a day is probably not the best bet. But if you want to lose weight, and are more than 20 pounds overweight, it works.

For my previous size - 315 pounds, I was told I needed to take in 3000 calories to "maintain" that weight. And I should have cut down to 2500 calories a day to "lose" weight.

But if I want to get down to 200 pounds (as a guideline), that would be 2300 calories a day to "maintain". And 1800 calories a day to continue "safe" weight loss.

Now a year later, I've lost 65 pounds, by eating 1200-1500 calories a day for the majority of the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, I've cheated, had some swings in there too, etc.

You guys want the best information on weight loss? Here it is.....

Find what works for you, via trial and error, stop listening to every "expert" out there, and dedicate yourself to doing whatever it is you decide. Don't let the scale run your life, in fact, put it up, stop weighing in daily, and even weekly. Weigh once a month, and consider any loss at all a success, not a failure because you didn't "meet your goal of 2 pounds a week".

You didn't get fat overnight, so don't expect to lose all that weight overnight either.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
you still have yet to disprove that I was eating 1200 calories or less a day from you last little BS posting.

I can name a dozen people on this site alone who are trying to stay in the 1200 calorie range to lose weight and have been successful.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to be a body builder, or gain muscle/strength, then 1200 calories a day is probably not the best bet. But if you want to lose weight, and are more than 20 pounds overweight, it works.

For my previous size - 315 pounds, I was told I needed to take in 3000 calories to "maintain" that weight. And I should have cut down to 2500 calories a day to "lose" weight.

But if I want to get down to 200 pounds (as a guideline), that would be 2300 calories a day to "maintain". And 1800 calories a day to continue "safe" weight loss.

Now a year later, I've lost 65 pounds, by eating 1200-1500 calories a day for the majority of the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, I've cheated, had some swings in there too, etc.

You guys want the best information on weight loss? Here it is.....

Find what works for you, via trial and error, stop listening to every "expert" out there, and dedicate yourself to doing whatever it is you decide. Don't let the scale run your life, in fact, put it up, stop weighing in daily, and even weekly. Weigh once a month, and consider any loss at all a success, not a failure because you didn't "meet your goal of 2 pounds a week".

You didn't get fat overnight, so don't expect to lose all that weight overnight either.
Matt... I dont know what to tell you.. I work in a hospital in the ER and the nutritional services department. I work with these dietitians who deal with overweight and bedridden people EVERYDAY. They would never put a patient on a 1200 calorie diet, even if they needed to lose weight. It is just not healthy. Im sure in a year you lost 65lbs...lost of gastric bypass patients lose more than that. You can say it works but it is just not healthy. Your body needs the nutrients that you consume from food. When you run a large deficit, yes, your body is forced to break down fat for energy...but do you think you are getting those nutrients? I can eat 1200 calories of candy...but my body wont be getting the protein it needs. Eating a healthy 1200 calories a day is better than 1200calories of crap, but again, you cant consume enough nutrients (protein, fat, carbs, minerals, vitamins) with that 1200 calories. Little anorexic girls that weight 100lbs should be eating 1200-1300 caloires a day...do you think the amount of food they consume in a day is enough to feed your body?

I agree with you on doing what works...but I still say do it in a healthy way. I have learned a lot in my nutrition classes, anatomy and physiology, lots through my nutritional services department at work, and a lot by reading. Everything I have been told by professional dietitians, and I have learned in schools says you cannot eat 1200 calories a day and maintain a healthy weight loss. Im sure you have lost a ton of muscle over the last year. No offense but fat people tend to have more muscle mass due to their weight. Fat people are forced to move their weight and therefore have lots of muscle mass as well as fat.

Oh yeah..Im starting a cut diet in about 3 weeks (on a prohormone cycle right now). I need to come down about 15-20lbs. Im up to 185 from 165 about 3 weeks ago. I will be doing a HEALTHY cut diet...eating about 2400 calories a day. I will show you bitches how its done Im 5'8" 185 and about 21%bf. Im hoping to get down to 165-168 in 3 months.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

Last edited by 8mpg; 05-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Not trying to be nosy...by how much do you weigh. You are a girl which requires less calories to begin with. A normal deficit of 500 calories or so a day is ok. Bullet keeps recommending people of any size to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. Someone who needs 2200 calories to maintain their weight should not be eating 1200 calories and then work out. Being negative 1500 calories a day is not healthy. Your body is burning to much energy and calories and cannot maintain itself in a healthy manner. There is not such thing as a healthy rapid weight loss.

If you, as a girl, was supposed to eat 1600 calories a day and are eating 1200, that is ok. Me, on the other hand, Im supposed to eat 2500 calories a day...1200 it not ok for me. I have argued this with Bullet a couple times now. I work with 3 dietitians at work..I have asked them. I have done my own research on proper dieting (healthy foods and working out...no pills or crazy coffee diet), and it all says the same thing. 500 calorie a day deficit, maybe more if you are grossly over weight. Losing over 2lbs a week is not healthy and more than likely muscle atrophy and loss of water weight.
No worries on the noisy part. I weigh too much and am still carrying all the weight I gained from my son plus a little more since he was born. I am tired of being over weight and decided to talk to my doctor about it and what I should be doing....I have definitely had a lot of water weight loss as well as fat loss. .Between my doctor, ob and my stepmom who is a RN, I am monitored closely.

I run 3 or so miles a day either on the elliptical, treadmill or one of those wave machines (which by the way are very weird). I also do body pump or cardio kick boxing when the classes are not full and do the circuit room. I have become good friends with the owner of the gym. She and her husband are helping out a lot with getting me on a program that is making a world of difference for me. I have this issue with doing things full out. So when I make a decision to do something I go at it full bore. I am tired of being overweight and don't want to be one of those moms...you know the ones that are overweight enough that they can not play with their kids like they want to.

I was only eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day and a good bit of that was from Dr. Peppers. I don't smoke, drink on occassion and don't really like fast food. My addiction is Dr. Pepper and anything sweet. So by cutting out the DPs and keeping the sweet stuff away I dropped alot of unnecessary calories out of my diet. Right now, I am eating between 1200 and 1500 calories depending on the day. I eat 5 or 6 light meals a day and drink so much water I feel like I am going to float away. Grilled Chicken, salads, soup, sandwiches on whole grain,, lots of fresh veggies, oatmeal, grapefruit, yogart and such have now become my staples.

I have taken classes on nutrition and understand where you are coming from. I am by no means an expert and would never do this on my own. I am going on my doc's instructions and see her regularly. So hopefully when the time is right I will be down to a healthy weight and will feel better in the long run.

Dana
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
wishin i had a fast car

i lost 80 pounds or so in about 15 months by 1200-1500 calories a day and running 15-30 miles a week. so i agree with big matt it can be done. is it the safest waty to do it? im not sure but if you are overweight then you need to do whatever it takes to lose weight. i would much rather do it that way rather than having surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement