Weight issues/questions - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Weight issues/questions

First of all I want to start off by saying yes, I read through Nicks recent post but I feel like my situation is somewhat different. I am fed up of never being able to put some weight on. I am 6'2 and 178 lbs MAX. I know one of my problems is my damn metabolism but I keep in mind that it’s natural for my age (21). I am extremely active, play sports 2-3 times a week. I recently re-joined a gym (LA Fitness in Rowlett) and I am more determined than ever to put on some pounds. Now my questions are....

1) Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard in the past that it’s best for someone in my position to lift heavy but short reps?

2) I going through the threads and I've read nothing but good things about Syntha 6, from what I understand this is a protein drink....Can I and if so what weight gainer can I mix it with to achieve better results?

TIA for any light you guys can shine on this new hobby of mine that I hope to make a daily one out of.
gtownGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
ttt for the morning crowd
gtownGT is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 7,113
you arent eating enough...

no matter how much you think you are consuming, its not enough.
Cammin4V is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V View Post
you arent eating enough...

no matter how much you think you are consuming, its not enough.
How much should I be eating?
gtownGT is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Wario? Greg? Exclude? Raven? . . . .I want some fresh ideas before I head to the gym in a couple of hours.
gtownGT is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Just keep eating. Try and pack down anything and everything you can. What does your normal diet look like? Try putting down 4000-5000 calories a day...you will gain weight.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Just keep eating. Try and pack down anything and everything you can. What does your normal diet look like? Try putting down 4000-5000 calories a day...you will gain weight.
Well honestly I have no idea how many calories I'm looking at but my usual diet consist of a the basic breakfast (oj,eggs, toasted bread, donuts, etc.). Lunch is typically fast food and dinner ranges night to night but I usually have 2 servings.
gtownGT is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
try eating 6 meals a day. Just double what you are eating now. My diet looks something like this:

0600: 2 servings of cream or wheat or oatmeal cooked with milk and a protein shake
0900: rice and chicken (8-10oz of cooked chicken, 1 cup of cooked rice)
1200: chicken and rice/potatoes + some other veggies and a fruit
1500: protein shake after workout (2 cups milk)
1800: chicken and pasta or meat and potatoes...something like that
2100: protein shake (2 cups milk)

Im putting down about 3000 calories. So that that and add another 1/3-2/3

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
try eating 6 meals a day. Just double what you are eating now. My diet looks something like this:

0600: 2 servings of cream or wheat or oatmeal cooked with milk and a protein shake
0900: rice and chicken (8-10oz of cooked chicken, 1 cup of cooked rice)
1200: chicken and rice/potatoes + some other veggies and a fruit
1500: protein shake after workout (2 cups milk)
1800: chicken and pasta or meat and potatoes...something like that
2100: protein shake (2 cups milk)

Im putting down about 3000 calories. So that that and add another 1/3-2/3
I see...thanks for the info...how about the 2 questions I posted regarding lifting heavy but smaller reps and the protein/weight gainer supp
gtownGT is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
a weight gainer can be a good idea...it is a ton of calories with lots of carbs and protein. Try and put down a good 250g of protein in a day and bust your ass in the gym. A weight gainer can add a good 1800 calories to your diet in a day.

They say to lift heavy with low reps for body mass, lift lighter and higher reps to tone up.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
If you're trying to gain weight i wouldnt eat 6 meals a day.
I'd eat 3 huge meals. Get you a gainer shake and some creatine to throw in the mix as well.
Smash the weights, it takes time to build quality muscle otherwise you'd see huge ripped mofos everywhere.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
If you're trying to gain weight i wouldnt eat 6 meals a day.
I'd eat 3 huge meals. Get you a gainer shake and some creatine to throw in the mix as well.
Smash the weights, it takes time to build quality muscle otherwise you'd see huge ripped mofos everywhere.
PM sent
gtownGT is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
When I was putting on weight, I was eating 6 meals a day and they were all pretty huge. The size of my lunch/dinner doubled, and my "snacks" were the size of my old lunchs/dinners. I also got up at 2 AM every night and drank half a protein shake. Now, you guys seem like even harder gainers than me, but you really can't eat enough. Keep the meals healthy and with useful calories, but I got to the point where I was eating to discomfort at every sitting.

Protein shakes and weight gainers help alleviate that discomfort by packing good calories into a small serving size. I'm not saying you have to feel like you're going to puke after ever meal (like I did), but in 99.9999% of people who can't gain a pound to save their life, they aren't eating enough.

3 meals is a better way to go about it as it slows down your metabolism...but it also makes it that much harder to get those extra calories in the day.

In terms of lifting, I'm a huge fan of the 5x5 and the 4x8, that's what most of my exercises fall into. Sometimes I'll go with a 3x15. I just like to mix it up. Yes, lesser reps are more geared toward bulk but really the bulk will come more with diet than the amount of sets/reps you decide on.

Also, I've found that I don't like working to failure anymore. I used to always workout a major muscle group once a week and go to failure with it but I've found that taxed my CNS too much. I was having to do my Army PT and playing IM sports while I was working out 4 days a week, so to keep from overtraining I would NOT go to failure. This allowed me to keep doing my other physical commitments and also I could weight train the same muscle group twice a week.
exlude is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Grapevine Ford
 
SALEEN449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grapevine Ford
Posts: 2,907
OK. I was 6ft and 153lbs when I started. I'm now at 205. I've always had a hard time gaining. You need to eat a ton of calories. You need AT LEAST 2g PROTEIN per day of ideal bodyweight. i.e. want to weigh 200?? 400g at least of protein per day with heavy lifting. Get some "magic pills" from Grayhorse and get to work....I gained 30lbs my first month on this program.

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com

Last edited by SALEEN449; 04-30-2009 at 07:20 PM.
SALEEN449 is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
thanks fot the input guys.....I've just joined Gregs website (lockoutforums.net), ,my SN is memo 4m gtown. As recommend on here and by Greg I am about to order the following...Syntha-6, Proline BCAA's, and Proline Creatine.

SALEEN449, thats the area im looking to bump up to...30 lbs in a month!?

Another area I am trying to work on that I dont see talked about much on here in my vertical leap...I would like to get to the 35-40 range. I currently jog for 10 mins with a 20lbs vest on, and I also wear it after my workout when I play some basketball for like 15-20 mins. Any suggestions/critism?

Thanks guys!
gtownGT is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
30lbs was on a PH cycle, you aren't realistically looking to gain anything like that in a month without AAS/PH support.

In terms of verticle...the vest running will definetely help, but greater gains are to be found in your squat/DL/box jump workouts and variants.
exlude is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
30lbs was on a PH cycle, you aren't realistically looking to gain anything like that in a month without AAS/PH support.

In terms of verticle...the vest running will definetely help, but greater gains are to be found in your squat/DL/box jump workouts and variants.
Cool, thanks for the advice....off to the gym!
gtownGT is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Bitter Italian
 
Wario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: On the mat.
Posts: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownGT View Post
thanks fot the input guys.....I've just joined Gregs website (lockoutforums.net), ,my SN is memo 4m gtown. As recommend on here and by Greg I am about to order the following...Syntha-6, Proline BCAA's, and Proline Creatine.

SALEEN449, thats the area im looking to bump up to...30 lbs in a month!?

Another area I am trying to work on that I dont see talked about much on here in my vertical leap...I would like to get to the 35-40 range. I currently jog for 10 mins with a 20lbs vest on, and I also wear it after my workout when I play some basketball for like 15-20 mins. Any suggestions/critism?

Thanks guys!
For your vert. Slap on your vest and find a park bench.
Wario is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 1,146
If you are having a hard time putting on muscle check out this guy. I have a little fat to lose then I am going with his program. I have done a ton of research and it is legit.

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/home1.php

Let me know if you have any questions.
Venom is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gtownGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If you are having a hard time putting on muscle check out this guy. I have a little fat to lose then I am going with his program. I have done a ton of research and it is legit.

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/home1.php

Let me know if you have any questions.
I just checked it out...seems just like another type of get in shape video IMO
gtownGT is offline  
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,163
Eat ~6 times a day and enough each meal that you're borderline going to puke.

Taylor is offline  
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If you are having a hard time putting on muscle check out this guy. I have a little fat to lose then I am going with his program. I have done a ton of research and it is legit.

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/home1.php

Let me know if you have any questions.

Want to go halfsies? The most interesting part to me is the diet plan for each week with the grocery list. It looks like it is all electronic...could just email you a copy.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Nevermind...thank you bodybuilding.com members

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...vince+delmonte

iManan uploaded the important parts

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Nevermind...thank you bodybuilding.com members

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...vince+delmonte

iManan uploaded the important parts
Great find.
Venom is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Great find.
the moral of the story is eat lots of food. I went through the 200 page book and basically found you just have to eat clean food. A SHITLOAD OF IT.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome