A few questions for you in shape folks....need some weight loss advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Resident Pinstriper

A few questions for you in shape folks....need some weight loss advice

Ok, so many of you know that I hurt my back a couple years ago and had back surgery. Everything seems to be on the up and up now.

I went back to work and stopped drinking sodas and started eating better. At the job I previously had, I was running a machine in a warehouse and figured out that I could run 3 of them in the same amount of time that the lazy people I was working with could run 1 if I busted my ass. I worked 12 hour shifts and pretty much stayed hauling ass the majority of the 12 hours. I lost about 45 pounds in 3 months.

Well, I got a job offer for a way better job, working better hours (NOT nights), and making over twice as much money.

The only downside is, we do a lot of riding around in the work van, and not nearly as much physical activity. When we are out working, we don't have really any options other than fast food. Soooooo, I've put some weight back on.

Here's my questions:

1.) What are some foods I can take with me that don't need to be refrigerated that are healthy ?

2.) If we are near the shop and can sit down at the shop to eat, what are some foods I can eat that can be microwaved/or kept in the refrigerator ?

3.) How long should I wait after I eat before doing cardio ?

4.) Is it better to do cardio in the morning or evening ?

5.) If doing cardio in the morning, should I eat something before and after, or just after ?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Thanks for the help, I need all I can get !

-Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 PM
not exclude

1) I will cook chicken, usually with some soy or something, then put it in a tupper ware and in the fridge over night then carry it around with me the next day. It doesn't have to stay refridgerated. Most deli meats will be fine too. Fruits, carrots, broccoli, nuts (in small portions) are all great snacks too. Also, you could mix a protein shake with water and carry that with you until you get hungry.

2) Pretty much the same as point 1. Tuna is a good food but easier to eat when sitting down.

3) I tend to wait an hour between a meal/snack and working out. I have a bit of a weak stomach. I would definetely wait atleast 30 minutes.

4) Cardio in the morning is said to burn more fat as your body doesn't have as much sugar in the blood stream to use for immediate energy and must draw from its fat stores.

5) Given point 4, don't eat before morning cardio, but definetely eat as soon as you can afterward.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Resident Pinstriper

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
1) I will cook chicken, usually with some soy or something, then put it in a tupper ware and in the fridge over night then carry it around with me the next day. It doesn't have to stay refridgerated. Most deli meats will be fine too. Fruits, carrots, broccoli, nuts (in small portions) are all great snacks too. Also, you could mix a protein shake with water and carry that with you until you get hungry.

2) Pretty much the same as point 1. Tuna is a good food but easier to eat when sitting down.

3) I tend to wait an hour between a meal/snack and working out. I have a bit of a weak stomach. I would definetely wait atleast 30 minutes.

4) Cardio in the morning is said to burn more fat as your body doesn't have as much sugar in the blood stream to use for immediate energy and must draw from its fat stores.

5) Given point 4, don't eat before morning cardio, but definetely eat as soon as you can afterward.
I was always under the impression that chicken had to stay refrigerated until you were ready to eat it. Is there a certain amount of time you can go before it's not edible ?

Thanks for all of the good advice.

Anyone else have anything they want to add ?

-Aaron

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Out

Those vaccuum-sealed tuna and salmon packages are ideal for on-the-run meals. I'd also keep a couple of fruits/ veggies around to fill around your meal and in between. Always eat something fresh like that with every meal. (Keeps from waste build-up in your digestive system) DRINK TONS OF WATER!!! I actually started with cardio dirctly before dinner when I couldn't do it in the morning. I'm also crap the rest of the day if I do it first thing. I started off 30 minutes every other day for a couple of weeks, then went to everyday. As long as you stick to something good for your diet, you'll be seeing improvements.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
I was always under the impression that chicken had to stay refrigerated until you were ready to eat it. Is there a certain amount of time you can go before it's not edible ?

Thanks for all of the good advice.

Anyone else have anything they want to add ?

-Aaron
It will be fine if you are eating it by mid day. As long as you fully cook it (white in the middle) and the soy/salt helps preserve it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement