I need to gain some weight! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

I need to gain some weight!

Okay, I've always been skinny. Buck sixty at the most. Recently, after my surgery, I lost about 15lbs, and I can't seem to gain an ounce back. Now with summer upon us, and me working outside, I'm going to be sweating like a mother, and it's going to be impossible to gain anything.

Figured I would ask you guys since you deal with all the weight gain stuff for lifting. But what works out there to get some weight on my bones? Shakes?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
not exclude

Wait a second, you changed your name? I don't like it.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 AM
not exclude

To actually answer your question. Yes you will be sweating a lot, but that's just going to fluctuate your water weight...not weight that really means anything. What I've noticed for "hard gainers" in general is they really aren't eating enough. I eat myself to an almost uncomfortable position almost every time I eat when I'm trying to put on weight. It sucks, but it works. Shakes help this by packing in a good amount of nutrients in a smaller size. Past that, work. All this food has to go somewhere, make sure it goes to the right place by taxing your body. I'm a subscriber to the idealogy that, "Anything works but nothing works forever." Find a workout plan that works for you, but switch up the workouts every 3 weeks or so.

Now, just because you're eating a ton doesn't mean you can eat whatever the fuck you want. Still have to make smart choices there.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I voted for McCain!!

That problem beats the hell out of the alternative. I'm the same way. Been 150lbs since 1994.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
To actually answer your question. Yes you will be sweating a lot, but that's just going to fluctuate your water weight...not weight that really means anything. What I've noticed for "hard gainers" in general is they really aren't eating enough. I eat myself to an almost uncomfortable position almost every time I eat when I'm trying to put on weight. It sucks, but it works. Shakes help this by packing in a good amount of nutrients in a smaller size. Past that, work. All this food has to go somewhere, make sure it goes to the right place by taxing your body. I'm a subscriber to the idealogy that, "Anything works but nothing works forever." Find a workout plan that works for you, but switch up the workouts every 3 weeks or so.

Now, just because you're eating a ton doesn't mean you can eat whatever the fuck you want. Still have to make smart choices there.
You gotta understand this guy's metabolism too. It's through the roof.

Nick, throw in a protein shake (like True Mass) in between meals and maybe a thick peanut butter sammich before bed. You'll be good there.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
You gotta understand this guy's metabolism too. It's through the roof.

Nick, throw in a protein shake (like True Mass) in between meals and maybe a thick peanut butter sammich before bed. You'll be good there.
I used to sit at a steady 165, couldn't gain a pound if my life depended on it. Through repeatedly working myself to the bone and forcing myself to take those extra bites or suck down that shake, I was able to increase my weekly calories almost exponentially and now rest at about 190-195. Calories aren't as high as when I was growing, but are definitely comfortably sitting higher than what they were at 165.

I also got a little crazy with it for a while and was setting my alarm to wake up for that 1AM protein shake.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Out

Quote:
I used to sit at a steady 165, couldn't gain a pound if my life depended on it. Through repeatedly working myself to the bone and forcing myself to take those extra bites or suck down that shake, I was able to increase my weekly calories almost exponentially and now rest at about 190-195. Calories aren't as high as when I was growing, but are definitely comfortably sitting higher than what they were at 165.

I also got a little crazy with it for a while and was setting my alarm to wake up for that 1AM protein shake.
LMAO!!! Now that's bad!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Man, a workout routine just will not exsist in my day. I can pretty much garantee you that. I barely have time to take a dump, much less take 30 minutes to an hour to work out. It ain't gonna happen.

190 or so would be ideal for me at 5'11". But getting to that point has been impossible. I eat 3-4 meals a day, and get nothing in return. I started eated a shit load of sweats(like a huge bowl of ice cream) right before bed, and nothing, nada, zip! Not one ounce gained.
Denny is right, my metabolism is thru the roof. Need something to pack a few pounds on. I really don't care where it goes, just as long as I'm not this bean pole anymore
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Bitter Italian

http://store.bsnonline.net/detail/truemass.html

This well help but you have to workout as well. If you dont you'll end up looking like a pregnant women.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
http://store.bsnonline.net/detail/truemass.html

This well help but you have to workout as well. If you dont you'll end up looking like a pregnant women.
Well a workout just isn't going to happen. Like I said above, I just don't have the time. Working a full time job, plus running this detail business, my days are packed full. I'm usually leaving the house about 4:30am, and don't get home till 9-10pm. No room for a trip to the gym in there.

Any other options that do not require a work out routine?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
not exclude

I realize you're going to get some muscle work from detailing, but if you don't tax your muscles outside of that...it's not going to be good weight. Unfortunately, there is no magic alternative to lots of food and time in the gym. It's just the way it is. Kinda like you can't detail your car just by spraying it down with a hose. Your body is going to want to resort to the most energy efficient state possible. That means it will try to get by with the least muscle mass possible because muscle is energy expensive. You've got to tell it that you need more muscle by smashing those weights.

As The Raven and Stangin4Life preach, it's going to boil down to how bad you want it. Are you willing to compromise an hour of sleep to get 30m-1hr in the gym? Does putting on weight mean that much to you? Or is that extra hour of sleep a night worth not being as strong, heavy, what have you?

A protein shake, weight gainer, etc. could help you elevate those calories...but I'm afraid that adding 20lbs of fat to you will get you some undesired results.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
Well a workout just isn't going to happen. Like I said above, I just don't have the time. Working a full time job, plus running this detail business, my days are packed full. I'm usually leaving the house about 4:30am, and don't get home till 9-10pm. No room for a trip to the gym in there.

I wish I could say yes but think of it like this. Roids are the closest thing to a magic pill and with that you still have to wokout. If you dont you just end up fat with backacne.

You can get a good workout in in 30 min. Will you ever look like Greg or some of the other guys, no. Its still a good start though. I understand work is number 1 but you have to find a way to fit it in man. The hardest workout is the first one. It gets easy after that.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Could I get away with a workout routine 1 or possibly 2 days a week? Or would I have to pony up for the 3-4 days a week to workout?
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
not exclude

Hell, yes. Anything is better than nothing. If you go with an intense workout 2x a week, you will definetely notice improvement.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Hired Hand

You can gain "weight" without working out Nick, but once you reach your body’s natural balance point, anything beyond that will be body fat. Working out though, will put those extra calories to use, to build “good weight.” To come back from surgery, I’d recommend that you find a tolerable weight gainer, and drink half shakes once a day. They are generally in the 1000+ calorie range and full of sugar, so a half shake would be plenty for someone not hitting the gym. If you aren’t gaining weight add another shake. Once you get to the point that you see a little pudge forming, drop the shake, as further weight gain will be fat, unless you start working out.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
You can gain "weight" without working out Nick, but once you reach your body’s natural balance point, anything beyond that will be body fat. Working out though, will put those extra calories to use, to build “good weight.” To come back from surgery, I’d recommend that you find a tolerable weight gainer, and drink half shakes once a day. They are generally in the 1000+ calorie range and full of sugar, so a half shake would be plenty for someone not hitting the gym. If you aren’t gaining weight add another shake. Once you get to the point that you see a little pudge forming, drop the shake, as further weight gain will be fat, unless you start working out.
Sure you can, however Ive yet to meet anyone who gaind good "weight" just sitting around drinking weight gainers. I do understand what your saying though. Nick is rail thin and could use the extra lbs no matter. All I was saying is you cant just sit around and drink/eat and expect to put on quality size.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Sure you can, however Ive yet to meet anyone who gaind good "weight" just sitting around drinking weight gainers. I do understand what your saying though. Nick is rail thin and could use the extra lbs no matter. All I was saying is you cant just sit around and drink/eat and expect to put on quality size.
I'm talking about the 15 pounds that he lost while being sedentary post surgery. He probably doen't even need the shakes, he just needs to eat more and be patient, but some people find it easier to get extra calories this way. Once the 15lbs is back, anything beyond that will be chub.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Thats my thing though, I rarely, and I mean rarely ever just sit around. I am working no stop. Detailing is some pretty tough work when you're doing it all day everyday.
The way you make it sound, I'm just going to be drinking shakes and sitting on the couch watching TV, and that just isn't the case.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Thats my thing though, I rarely, and I mean rarely ever just sit around. I am working no stop. Detailing is some pretty tough work when you're doing it all day everyday.
The way you make it sound, I'm just going to be drinking shakes and sitting on the couch watching TV, and that just isn't the case.
The fact that you are always on the go is exactly why I suggested the shakes. They are quick and easy, and dont' taste half bad. Even having a desk job, I finde it tedious and sometimes difficult to eat enough real food often enough, especially when I'm busy.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
The fact that you are always on the go is exactly why I suggested the shakes. They are quick and easy, and dont' taste half bad. Even having a desk job, I finde it tedious and sometimes difficult to eat enough real food often enough, especially when I'm busy.
Okay, perfect!

Now, which brand of shakes work and taste the best?
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM
not exclude

Syntha-6

/thread
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Okay, perfect!

Now, which brand of shakes work and taste the best?
I've always taken protein only shakes, which wouldnt' do you as much good. I have tasted a few weight gainers over the years, and maybe it's 'cause I'm used to bland food, but all of them tasted pretty damn good. Eating anything daily get's old, I'd recommend buying the least expensive brand that has what you want in it. Buy the smalles size they offer, so that there's less to go through if you get sick of it.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Syntha-6

/thread
^^^Worst advice in this thread.^^^

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
not exclude

Quote:
^^^Worst advice in this thread.^^^
Hardly. He's looking to replace some lost inner fat as well as some additional meat he lost. He's got the metabolism of a damn mouse and work ethic to boot, so the sugars won't hurt him at all. The casein element will add some prolonged delivery for his fast paced day. It tastes great too, so he can drink it with water as opposed to milk which, imeo (educated opinion), is pretty damn harsh on you. Especially with his back issues, he doesn't need the additional hormones from milk.

It's pricey, but for the non hardcore, the taste will keep him to it as opposed to forcing him to chug some god awful cheap protein that he'll drop in a week.

It's a middle of the road shake. Not pure protein, not a gawdawfully fatty/sugary full blown weight gainer. The heavy gainers could be a bit too much for him if he wants to gain any GOOD weight without working out.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Hardly. He's looking to replace some lost inner fat as well as some additional meat he lost. He's got the metabolism of a damn mouse and work ethic to boot, so the sugars won't hurt him at all. The casein element will add some prolonged delivery for his fast paced day. It tastes great too, so he can drink it with water as opposed to milk which, imeo (educated opinion), is pretty damn harsh on you. Especially with his back issues, he doesn't need the additional hormones from milk.

It's pricey, but for the non hardcore, the taste will keep him to it as opposed to forcing him to chug some god awful cheap protein that he'll drop in a week.

It's a middle of the road shake. Not pure protein, not a gawdawfully fatty/sugary full blown weight gainer. The heavy gainers could be a bit too much for him if he wants to gain any GOOD weight without working out.
Not googling owns me. For some reason I was thinking that Syntha6 was a prohormone. You are right on all counts except for the fact that I don' think he needs to pay the premium for a shake like that, when he's not working out. If money's not an issue though, that an Metrx are good options.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Okay, cool! Thanks guys!

I'll start looking into those shakes, and will ask your opionon before I buy one.

Nick
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Not googling owns me. For some reason I was thinking that Syntha6 was a prohormone. You are right on all counts except for the fact that I don' think he needs to pay the premium for a shake like that, when he's not working out. If money's not an issue though, that an Metrx are good options.
I totally agree. I had a paragraph about PHs typed up earlier, but deleted just because I think it's far from what he needs.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:

You will never get anywhere without pushing some weight. You can find time for a 30 min workout at least 4 times a week.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
You will never get anywhere without pushing some weight. You can find time for a 30 min workout at least 4 times a week.
Thats all I was trying to say.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Lifer

Try Big Maxx from Max Muscle. Thats the only weight gainer I have used that actually worked. Drink one for breakfast follwed up with oatmeal, eat lunch and wash it down with a shake, then take another shake before bed. I did this and gained about 1lb a week.

<---very fast metabolism

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadintx
Agreed! My husband is tall, average, and SEXY!
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Scared s**tless

When I am putting on size, I like Syntha 6... great stuff, and effin' delicious. Couple it with a weight gainer like Optimum Nutrition, one scoop of each with whole milk. Syntha 6 isn't cheap, and this will let it go longer.

Also, seriously, start doing some workout shit that's quick if you reaaaaaally can't justify a gym membership and the time... like 4 rounds of 25 push ups every other day, find a place to hang one of those pull up bars and do pull ups and chin ups, triceps dips etc. Do a search and find some exercises that you can pull off on the fly. 100 push ups only takes 4-5 minutes, and at least it'll be some good work for your muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Rookie

30 servings at 25.99 makes Syntha one of the cheaper ones on the market.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Still haven't bought anything. From what everyone has been telling me, if I don't work out, I'll just get a fat belly.
Honestly, with the amount of work I do on a daily basis, I really thought that would be enough to direct this weight gain stuff into the right places. And working out just isn't going to happen. I could say that I would, but in all honesty, it just wouldn't happen on any kind of regular basis. Summer is coming, and I just wouldn't have any time to do any kind of regular workout routine. Maybe I should just let nature take it's course, and do it naturally by just eating more?
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Maybe I should just let nature take it's course, and do it naturally by just eating more?
Best plan yet. I know you want to get bigger Nick, but without weight training that just isn't gonna happen. The type of work you do will build stamina, but it's not enough to induce hypertrophy. Think of it this way, if Lance Armstrong were to all of a sudden add 2000 calories to his diet, he's not gonna get bigger. He'll simply burn up what his body needs to do his biking, and he will store the rest.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Chalk

worked for me!!!

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning View Post
Chalk

worked for me!!!
He doesnt want to gain that much weight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement