treadmill maintenance - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

treadmill maintenance

I got a new treadmill and have maybe run 50 or so miles by now
What kind of maintenance should i be doing to it?

check belt tension ?
motor belt tension?
lube deck with what? how often?

I just want to make sure I get max life out of this thing since ill probably put some miles on it
http://www.ironmanfitness.com/produc...ion&cat=treads

the parent company i think went under, but I managed to get it for 800$ new at second hand sports
so far im pretty happy with the purchase, and 10 lbs lighter

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Hero in a half shell

The motor and/or electronics will probably go out first before you need to wax or tension the belt on that treadmill. Not trying to make you feel bad but treadmills like Ironman, Proform, Weslo, Nordictrack are notorious for going bad and not lasting that long assuming one uses it consistently.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra View Post
The motor and/or electronics will probably go out first before you need to wax or tension the belt on that treadmill. Not trying to make you feel bad but treadmills like Ironman, Proform, Weslo, Nordictrack are notorious for going bad and not lasting that long assuming one uses it consistently.
What's a good brand for a treadmill then? Would an eliptical be better?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
mannish boy

I got a pacemaster gold elite off CL for like $700... dude said he'd only used it a few times, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

My wife freakin' LOVES it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Really? It's a 3 hp motor.... kind of suprised.
so when does the belt need to be tensioned / waxed?
can you use a silicone type spray underneath it?

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffc View Post
What's a good brand for a treadmill then? Would an eliptical be better?
If you are actually serious about logging some serious time on the treadmill, then don't get anything less than Landice, True, or Life Fitness (T5 and up series, T3 aint that great). Also, get it from a local authorized dealer so they can service it if/when it needs to be serviced. You also get the warranty by going through a local authorized dealer, getting stuff used or off the internet to save some money will end up costing you more in the long run since you have no warranty to cover anything. The best warranty in the industry is Landice hands down, you'll never have to pay for a part on that treadmill again as long as you register the warranty within 30 days of purchase and you get 1 year labor. You're looking at the 2.5-4.5K range for the really good brands like those.

Any doctor will recommend the treadmill over the elliptical if it's an able bodied person that can walk/run without too many knee/ankle complications from the standpoint that it's more weight bearing. Weight bearing exercises are what help us maintain bone density.

If you decide to get a treadmill/elliptical, get an RX form from your doctor with your name on it, the unit and a medical reason (high blood pressure, rehab, diabetes etc. etc.) for that piece of fitness equipment and you can be tax exempt Just bring the RX to the dealer and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by Fobra; 04-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
Really? It's a 3 hp motor.... kind of suprised.
so when does the belt need to be tensioned / waxed?
can you use a silicone type spray underneath it?
There is a difference between "peak duty HP" and "continuous duty HP." Companies like Ironman, Proform, Weslo (big box store brands basically) use peak duty. Those motor are half the size of the continuous duty motors and therefore must work much harder to produce that peak HP. They have to work at around the 5-6k RPM range as opposed to the 2.5-4k RPM range continuous duty. Just about all your appliances use continuous duty motors since they get used all the time, putting anything less than that in those environments will fizzle out quickly, it's the same thing with treadmills.

My Dad got a Proform from Sears years ago and we went through 3 motors in 2 years. That company also tells you to just go buy another treadmill instead of sending you the part you need, that's unless you are insistant on getting it, then they'll give you it. That's how those companies get your money, make inferior and cheap products, they break and people go back to buy it again, it's a cycle.

The belt needs to be tensioned when it either starts to slip or starts to track to the side. You basically have to pull the rollers back a little to tension it. Consult the owners manual to find out which way the rollers have to be tensioned.

As far as the wax is concerned, you'd have to call the manufacture. Not all manufactors use the same wax, if you put the wrong wax on it, then you take a chance on screwing up the wax, increasing the friction between deck and belt, thus making the motor work harder resulting in less motor life.

Last edited by Fobra; 04-08-2009 at 03:43 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
I got a pacemaster gold elite off CL for like $700... dude said he'd only used it a few times, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

My wife freakin' LOVES it
That's a pretty good deal for a used Pacemaster

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
That's a pretty good deal for a used Pacemaster
yeah man, I was stoked... she bought a cheapie off of CL for $40 just to see if she would actually use one and then she decided to buy a nice one... she went to a store to figure out what features etc. she needed/wanted. and we were watching CL.

then she went to her friend's in Austin and used her friend's pacemaster silver, and she really liked it and told me about it.

two days later I found that one on CL that was only about 15min from my house.

she uses it all the time, and even my fatass can get on it, and it doesn't flinch. I couldn't even use that cheap POS she got! she sold it to one of her kids at school for $50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement