Got my MRI results back :( (10-12 weeks out) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Got my MRI results back :( (10-12 weeks out)

So its been 2 weeks since my accident, still in pain. Finally got to see what the MRI looks like from last time. The doctor said I have a very serious partial tear of the supraspinous rotator cuff muscle, one of the worst they have seen while still maintaining thickness and not pulling away. They showed me all the fluid buildup inside of the supraspinous. They said that surgery is not required given that it is still connected (barely), but I shouldn't lift ANYTHING over shoulder height for 10-12 weeks, and then I should start out at a 1/4 of what I am used to. I dont really know why I am posting this here other then that I am totally fucking bummed. I really dont want to follow those orders, but he said at this point it could become a complete tear very very easy, and then I am looking at 6-8 months recovery after sugery.

What would you guys do about diet and excercise. I am 220lbs or so, had about a 500-550 squat (except the one that got me), 500 dead, 370 bench. I am sure when I come back its all going to have gone way down, but I dont know which workouts I can still do (of course doc said non), and how I should be eating to not get fat (since my workout used to help prevent that), and how much cardio I should do without sacrficing more muscle then I have to.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Scared s**tless

That sucks, man.

On the note of legs, I would become great friends with the leg press. sure, it's not squats, but it'll let you maintain a ton of the size during your healing.

Dead lift, I dunno. I imagine it's out of the question. lots of back hyperextensions with weight to help it maintain.

I know I couldn't bench for SHIT when I tore mine, constant tight pain with any serious pressure (incline was excruciating)...

... then again, White Lightning has been lifting heavy with a destroyed rotator for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Time Served

Yowch. I had a partial tear about 5 years ago from a mountain bike wreck (along with a grade 3 A/C separation, so a bit more complicated...) and I was back to normal activities at 10-12 weeks. That's not to say I was back to "normal" (strength-wise) but I could do just about anything at the gym and was rolling again at BJJ.

The shoulder felt really unstable for a long time (heck, it still may, but maybe I got used to it) but the strength came back fairly quickly. The instability was from the A/C separation more so than the rotator cuff, so you hopefully won't have that. I made sure to do light PT/Range-of-motion exercises for a good year after that and I think that helped a lot.

It takes forever to do all those little exercises and you feel like a weenie for only doing like 10lbs, but you can really feel the difference!

Best of luck on your recovery!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Nobody

I just read an article about a study they did on creatine supplementation. People who had an injured body part continued to use creatine and only lost around 8% of strength over 12 weeks as compared to 20% from those who didn't continue creatine use. Just throwing that out there.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement