Crossfit: Fran - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

Crossfit: Fran

I know flashstang is a crossfit fan, wondering if anyone else on here gets their crossfit on?

I've been pretty exclusively doing strength lifting for the past 2 months or so, but decided to knock out a Fran this past weekend. For those unfamiliar with Fran, it's pretty much the diagnostic standard within crossfit.

Fran consists of:
(w/ 95lbs)
21 x Squat Thruster
21 x Pull ups
15 x Squat Thruster
15 x Pull ups
9 x Squat Thruster
9 x Pull ups
for time

My weight is considerably up since the last time I did Fran, but I was able to knock out a 6:46. Wondering if anybody else has some times to compare?

Here's a video (NOT ME) of the dirty girl

I've yet to be able to get butterfly kipping down, which is what he is doing for his pull ups in the video. I still use the standard kip.

I think it'd be pretty cool if we could get a dfwstangs record list for the various crossfit dirty girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I know flashstang is a crossfit fan, wondering if anyone else on here gets their crossfit on?

I've been pretty exclusively doing strength lifting for the past 2 months or so, but decided to knock out a Fran this past weekend. For those unfamiliar with Fran, it's pretty much the diagnostic standard within crossfit.

Fran consists of:
(w/ 95lbs)
21 x Squat Thruster
21 x Pull ups
15 x Squat Thruster
15 x Pull ups
9 x Squat Thruster
9 x Pull ups
for time

My weight is considerably up since the last time I did Fran, but I was able to knock out a 6:46. Wondering if anybody else has some times to compare?

I've yet to be able to get butterfly kipping down, which is what he is doing for his pull ups in the video. I still use the standard kip.

I think it'd be pretty cool if we could get a dfwstangs record list for the various crossfit dirty girls.

Ahhhh Fran is my favorite!

Whoa!! Nice time bro!

The people I started on CF two years ago have changed dramatically! (here I mean)

Good job man.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

With my recent lifting, I have gotten MUCH stronger in the shoulders and legs so my time was much better across the squat thrusters. I was averaging 9 minutes this past summer, so all my time was made up through the squat thrusters. However, I'm about 20 lbs heavier now so my pull ups HURT. Combined with not really being in practice with kipping, I've got a lot of room for improvement there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Time Served

Awesome! Pukie is my pal!

I trained CF pretty hard all last spring/summer but then had to take 4 months off due to 3 bulging disks, and have only been back for about 2 months. I am just now finally getting back to where I was 6 mos ago (frustrating, but at least I'm not starting from scratch.)

I did Fran (scaled down) when I had only been doing CF a few weeks, and got a 4:40 (only using 70lbs. though, and having to use the box on about ten of the pullups, so it doesn't really count.) I was really bummed that I missed Fran about a month ago, but I am anxiously awaiting her return since I can do it all as RXed now.

We did one called the "Fran Sandwich" last week (800m run - Fran - 800m run) and it was my first time to get through the Fran part all as RXed (I was so stoked!!) but the runs really took it out of me! (Took me 18:29 to finish, I was so whooped after doing it all as RXed for the first time, that last 800 had to take 4-5 minutes! :-/)

We did Murph on Monday of last week... I knocked off two minutes over the last time (down to 36:20... woot!) I guess CF is turning me into a masochist, cause I think Murph is my favorite workout now!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
not exclude

This is from about a year ago, had a horrible time on this one (just under 11 minutes) because I couldn't stop heaving.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Crossfit is da shit! Love it and hate it all in one!

Awesome time!

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
tex
Lifer

I've only done a couple of the routines, but I enjoyed them. Once I reach my last couple goals with traditional lifting, I plan on going full bore into CF.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
This is from about a year ago, had a horrible time on this one (just under 11 minutes) because I couldn't stop heaving.

LOLOLOL!!!!!!! That is greatness

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Fran consists of:
(w/ 95lbs)
21 x Squat Thruster
21 x Pull ups
15 x Squat Thruster
15 x Pull ups
9 x Squat Thruster
9 x Pull ups
for time

Pretty sweet video, though I didn't see him do a single real pull up. I love the idea of cross fit workouts, kind of scared to try them though, haha...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Pretty sweet video, though I didn't see him do a single real pull up. I love the idea of cross fit workouts, kind of scared to try them though, haha...
He's meeting a pretty solid chest-to-bar pull-up standard (until he starts failing at the end). Don't be thrown off by the appearance of the butterfly pull-ups, they add a very powerful metabolic conditioning aspect to the pull-ups. The dead-hang pull-ups are increasingly rare in the crossfit world.

I say fuck it, give Fran a chance. You'll hate it while you're doing it and then love that you just finished it. DO IT...and let us know your time
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
LOLOLOL!!!!!!! That is greatness
Yeah, I wasn't told that I was going to be video taped for that one I was so into my suffering that I didn't even realize he was doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement