Runners... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Runners...

I've decided, at least for now, I get a much better cardio workout running on a treadmill than on an elliptical. I feel like it's easier to push myself harder and it really is time for a change. I also feel a great deal better after "running." The problem is I have 40lbs of extra fat I need to lose and it seems as though it is taking a toll on my right knee.
I've never really been a runner just because I've never liked it, but getting older I would like to take the challenge of being able to run a couple of miles w/out having to walk part of it. The question is should I use the elliptical or some low impact gadget to help lose the weight first before trying to run or should I just take it real easy and lightly jog or should I just hang it up, accept the fact that I'm old and fat with a bum knee and stick with elliptical?
The problem with the knee is that it is inflamed on the back side of my patella. No sharp pains. Just a continuous dull pain. I've dislocated both my knees numerous times while in my teens and early 20's from playing a variety of sports. Wondering if it could be scar tissue causing the prollems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Lifer

Go to a running store, shoes will help out a lot. Besides that alternating running and elliptical would be a good option until you drop some weight and your body gets used to running.

02-z28
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into different shoes and alternating machines...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Texan

I don't know if you're into reading, but I used to hate running even though I have to do it all the time. I read a book cahlled Chi Running that really helped with the mental side of running, and also it helped with a lot of physical changes too.

It should be semi-cheap on amazon.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Worship me

Just take it easy and build up to it over time. You'll get all sorts of aches and pains as you get adjusted. I got shin splints real bad for a few months but they eventually went away. You may try doing some weights to build up the strength in your knees, it can't hurt.

Part of the mental side of running is the aches and pains you will get. A part of the endurance is running right on through that shit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Just take it easy and build up to it over time. You'll get all sorts of aches and pains as you get adjusted. I got shin splints real bad for a few months but they eventually went away. You may try doing some weights to build up the strength in your knees, it can't hurt.

Part of the mental side of running is the aches and pains you will get. A part of the endurance is running right on through that shit.
Someone once told me, if you can run 5 miles with out stopping, you can do 20.. It is very true, running is 80% mental. The same pain you feel at mile 5 is the same you feel at 12 miles.

02-z28
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Lifer

Cycling is SO much better for you, especially if you're heavy. Low impact, quick recovery, and a lot more fun.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Trust me I'll do cycling as well. I'm at that age where I want to try many different things instead of being a boring old fuck with the same routine. There is a method to my madness. My goals are to get as much as I can out of every cardio workout I am still physically able to pull off. I've always done the same crap over and over and am now tired of it.
I was talking to a former runner about this and he said for beginners a good routine is to start off running for 2 minutes, then walk for three and continue this for 30min. Then as progression happens start reciprocating where you run for 3min and walk for 2 to the point of being able to constantly run for 30min. Gonna try this as well...
Thanks again everyone.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Lifer

Give this a read - it's free, and similar to what you are speaking of:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
Give this a read - it's free, and similar to what you are speaking of:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Good read. Thanks.
My knee is doing much better than before. I believe Al's "Run it off, bitch!" approach was extremely helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement