running (HIIT) question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

running (HIIT) question

just wanting to get opinions and what y'all think, to see if i need to be doing more and whatnot.

Been running for 35min, just over 3miles, on the treadmill at 5.5mph. Then i go down to 4mph which is a really slow jog or fast walk for 10min (sometimes more) then a cool down walk for about 5min. So, i'm on the treadmill for almost an hour(4.5miles) This sound ok so far?

Now, i'm trying to work in a HIIT session every other time i run.
So i started out doing 5min at 5.5, then i ran at 10mph for 30sec and back down to 5.5 for 90sec (did this 5 times). I continue with a 6min run at 5.5 to make it an even 20min total running then finish it out with a 10min. walk at 4mph with a cool down. Total was about 35min.(2.5miles)

Does all of this sound right? Is it ok when i do the HIIT to cut my time in half on the treadmill (i thought that was the point in doing this)

i'm sure i've covered this before, sorry if i'm repeating myself. Just making sure i'm not wasting me time or not doing enough.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Nobody

It looks good, that's about right for everything.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM

4.5 miles > 2.5 miles. bottom line. good switch up though...just keep progressing.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Time Served

its not the bottom line! the purpose of it is to raise your heart rate and then bring it down to normal and then raise it again over and over again! the hole thing is based on heart rate not distance! so your work out seems pretty solid! once it starts getting easier play with the incline it makes a big difference!

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V View Post
4.5 miles > 2.5 miles. bottom line. good switch up though...just keep progressing.
Not true at all.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Time Served

4.5 miles is mathematically greater than 2.5 miles

EDIT: and biggest signature ever^
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Time Served

I like to full sprint X20sec and rest/walk x10sec and repeat. start off with 4mins. and work up there. you be surprised how you feel after a short time.
I also like to mix in with my weight lifting, light weight reps around 20 with 1 min rest, works good with bench squat and deadlifts (compound movements)
Just try to mix it up so your body stays confused and constantly tries to adapt to its environment.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

well, i think after tonight i'm going to space this out a little. I've been runnig 4days a week, mon-thur. But my damn calves were so sore from yesterdays little run that i could only stand to do 2miles of jogging. So i worked through the pain and walked the rest lol

think i'm going to put a day in between now if i'm going to keep the HIIT up. mon, tue, thur and friday. Maybe taking wed off from running will help out. Only day i do absolutly nothing is sunday. Not that i do that much with weights or anything. Didn't figure those 5 little sprints would cause this kind of problem. My leg muscles are cursing me right now
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM
tex
Lifer

Jesus, on your rest periods, slow down to a walk, then back to the sprint. You're not letting yourself recover properly. If I do intervals on a treadmill I drop down to 3.5 for my rest periods.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Jesus, on your rest periods, slow down to a walk, then back to the sprint. You're not letting yourself recover properly. If I do intervals on a treadmill I drop down to 3.5 for my rest periods.

ok, lardo
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
tex
Lifer

I'll take my 205 vs your 200.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Nobody

Quote:
No crap. I must have missed the 5.5 mph rest period when I first read this. You definitely want to drop down to super slow for the rest, you can even step on the sides for the minute of rest and still get the same results.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
not exclude

It depends on what you're training. A jog in between runs/sprints will foster towards aerobic/metabolic conditioning while walking in between sprints will focus more on anaerobic/muscle growth. I wouldn't recommend coming to a full stop in between intervals, can allow for lactic acid to build up which makes it hard to perform to your best on the next go around.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Not true at all.
LMFAO! how is that not true?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
not exclude

Quote:
LMFAO! how is that not true?
Because the distance you run is not all that matters. So your claimed bottom line is not the bottom line.

I could put you through a 2.5 mi workout that would make a 4.5 mi paced run feel like a cake walk.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
I'll take my 205 vs your 200.

let me work at this longer than 2months and you might not say that, fat boy. I'm sure my goals and your goals are not quite the same, are they?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Because the distance you run is not all that matters. So your claimed bottom line is not the bottom line.

I could put you through a 2.5 mi workout that would make a 4.5 mi paced run feel like a cake walk.
Based on calorie burn, that is all that matters. More miles equals more calorie burn.

Walking a mile versus running a mile will burn about the same amount of calories. However, there are a few differences. Due to running/sprinting being more intense, you are burning carbs(sugar), where as walking will burn more fat. Hence the cardio and fat burn zones for your heart rate.

So like i told him, the 4.5 miles is going to get a greater caloric burn(and mostly fat), but the 2.5 mile HIIT is going to be a good switch to get the most out of his workouts(building up cardiovascular endurance as well as burning the most calories) and keep the body from hitting a plateau.

So my bottom line was correct. Congrats if you can make someone sprint 2.5 miles and make them more tired versus walking/jogging 4.5 miles. Its not brain surgery?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Based on calorie burn, that is all that matters. More miles equals more calorie burn.

Walking a mile versus running a mile will burn about the same amount of calories. However, there are a few differences. Due to running/sprinting being more intense, you are burning carbs(sugar), where as walking will burn more fat. Hence the cardio and fat burn zones for your heart rate.

So like i told him, the 4.5 miles is going to get a greater caloric burn(and mostly fat), but the 2.5 mile HIIT is going to be a good switch to get the most out of his workouts(building up cardiovascular endurance as well as burning the most calories) and keep the body from hitting a plateau.

So my bottom line was correct. Congrats if you can make someone sprint 2.5 miles and make them more tired versus walking/jogging 4.5 miles. Its not brain surgery?
Did you just say that "4.5 miles is going to get a greater caloric burn, but 2.5 mile HIIT is going to...[be] burning the most calories"?

Pardon me if I seem scattered brained, but there is so much to approach here I don't even know how to come at it.

I was kind of hoping you'd use the good old "fat burning zone" we are all so familiar with from the face of the treadmill. It's bullshit. And no, more miles does not equal more calorie burn. That myth is based off the belief that calories are measured similarly to how work is measured. In a perfect world, maybe this would be true, but due to the inefficiency of your body as you increase the intensity of the workout, you get diminishing returns in performance meaning you must burn that many more calories to increase the intensity that much more. Running recruits more muscles than walking and uses far more oxygen.

According to several studies, running x distance consumes approx 40% more calories than walking x distance (Syracuse University, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Journal. Dec. 2005).

You can hit your "magical" 65%-75% for 4.5 miles and get some decent, fat burning cardio. But you aren't going to burn as many calories as a well regimented HIIT program (I think you agreed with this earlier so I won't go further into it). Your immediate source of those calories does not matter, it's the calorie deficit at the end of the day/week/month. As unused blood borne glucose is later stored into fat or low blood glucose will be pulled from fat.

HIIT/sprinting further has an added bonus of anaerobically working your muscles. Building muscle mass increases resting calorie consumption for the rest of the day/week/month.

See how your bottom line barely touches the surface?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
let me work at this longer than 2months and you might not say that, fat boy. I'm sure my goals and your goals are not quite the same, are they?
A) what the hell is your problem?
B) I don't have any goals, but if you're gonna be a dick when I'm trying to help you, why don't you put some money up and see how we compare?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
A) what the hell is your problem?
B) I don't have any goals, but if you're gonna be a dick when I'm trying to help you, why don't you put some money up and see how we compare?

WHOA, back up. No problem here.

Am i being a dick? You have to admit though that it's kind of ironic that you're calling somebody a dick LOL I was just fucking with ya. You're not turning all sensitive on me, are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement