Salt/soduim and dieting. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Salt/soduim and dieting.

Ok guys, forgive me for the basic newbie questions about dieting. Clearly by looking at me you can tell I have alot to learn.

I've started dieting and getting more activity in. I was reading that other thread about abs and getting leaner and it kinda confused me a little bit.

I'm completely cutting sugar and caffiene from my diet, but what effect does salt and sodium have on fat loss? Is salt something that needs to be completely cut off as well? I've always been under the assumption that salt/sodium makes someone retain water and difficult to lose weight. Any truth to this? What do you suggest as far as intake goes?

Thanks guys.

Steve

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Normal diet is 2g/day...so stay under that. Where salt goes, water will always follow in the body. The more you intake, the more water you will retain. Your kidneys will excrete excess sodium though.

Losing fat and losing weight are two different things. If you want to see better numbers, cut the sodium and sit in a sauna and sweat out the water. If you want to lose fat, cut your carbs and exercise.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Ok guys, forgive me for the basic newbie questions about dieting. Clearly by looking at me you can tell I have alot to learn.

I've started dieting and getting more activity in. I was reading that other thread about abs and getting leaner and it kinda confused me a little bit.

I'm completely cutting sugar and caffiene from my diet, but what effect does salt and sodium have on fat loss? Is salt something that needs to be completely cut off as well? I've always been under the assumption that salt/sodium makes someone retain water and difficult to lose weight. Any truth to this? What do you suggest as far as intake goes?

Thanks guys.

Steve
Can you explain exactly what you mean when you say that you're cutting sugar from your diet?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Can you explain exactly what you mean when you say that you're cutting sugar from your diet?
I have quite the sweet tooth between chocolate and sodas. Also carb addiction, pasta mainly, which i understand is sugar in the system, messing with insulin levels.

Back to the point, I've cut all sodas and sweets out, trying to eat fresh veggies instead of canned stuff since they have sugar in them, no pasta, bread, milk . I'm not sure on fruit yet, there seems to be quite the debate on fruit between people.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
I have quite the sweet tooth between chocolate and sodas. Also carb addiction, pasta mainly, which i understand is sugar in the system, messing with insulin levels.

Back to the point, I've cut all sodas and sweets out, trying to eat fresh veggies instead of canned stuff since they have sugar in them, no pasta, bread, milk . I'm not sure on fruit yet, there seems to be quite the debate on fruit between people.
You dont have to quit all pasta just the bad pasta.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
You dont have to quit all pasta just the bad pasta.
So whole wheat pasta is ok? (in moderation of course)

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Whole wheat pasta sparingly, yes. Stay away from artificial sweeteners as they spike your insulin the exact same way normal sugars do. A little bit of raw sugar is better than those sweeteners, imo.

Also, maybe you are doing it for personal reasons, but there are many studies out there showing caffeine to be good for your body (in moderation of course) so you don't have to cut it out. Black coffee or tea is the shit.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Whole wheat pasta sparingly, yes. Stay away from artificial sweeteners as they spike your insulin the exact same way normal sugars do. A little bit of raw sugar is better than those sweeteners, imo.

Also, maybe you are doing it for personal reasons, but there are many studies out there showing caffeine to be good for your body (in moderation of course) so you don't have to cut it out. Black coffee or tea is the shit.
So no Splenda?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:

We're a lot alike in that regard, I love candy and chocolate and bread and pasta. Our goals are likely different, which is why I eat all the carbs I can get my hands on. In fact, I should probably be eating right now...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10313074
Nice and cheap at walmart, you dont have to go crazy and spend big $$ at whole foods.

And like Exlude says, tea(green) is very good for you. Oh and drink more water.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
So no Splenda?
Good coffee doesn't need anything added.

Give me a dollar.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10313074
Nice and cheap at walmart, you dont have to go crazy and spend big $$ at whole foods.

And like Exlude says, tea(green) is very good for you. Oh and drink more water.
Hmmm, cool. Thanks for that info!

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
We're a lot alike in that regard, I love candy and chocolate and bread and pasta. Our goals are likely different, which is why I eat all the carbs I can get my hands on. In fact, I should probably be eating right now...
My goal is to lose 70lbs and get into a size 34 waist.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Baller

best idea is to go straight MSG instead.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
best idea is to go straight MSG instead.
MSG = also tasty
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Hired Hand

I personally have never had a problem with salt when dieting, and alot of the fat-free stuff that I eat is pretty high in content. As has been said, salt will make you retian water, but not severly if you're drinking enough. Most "normal" people wouldn't even notice a difference in the mirror, it'll show up on the scale, and be a problem if you are competing where vascularity is an issue.

If you're trying to reach a weight goal Steve, cut salt a week or two prior to weigh in, if fat loss is your only concern, then don't worry too much about it other than super high amounts is bad for the heart.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Good coffee doesn't need anything added.
Bailey's and Jameson?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I personally have never had a problem with salt when dieting, and alot of the fat-free stuff that I eat is pretty high in content. As has been said, salt will make you retian water, but not severly if you're drinking enough. Most "normal" people wouldn't even notice a difference in the mirror, it'll show up on the scale, and be a problem if you are competing where vascularity is an issue.

If you're trying to reach a weight goal Steve, cut salt a week or two prior to weigh in, if fat loss is your only concern, then don't worry too much about it other than super high amounts is bad for the heart.
Thanks Aaron. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't interrupt my weight loss at all. I'll keep it in low moderation of course, but now I won't obsess over it. This is kind of addicting watching what is in food and what I am eating.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Thanks Aaron. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't interrupt my weight loss at all. I'll keep it in low moderation of course, but now I won't obsess over it. This is kind of addicting watching what is in food and what I am eating.
It becomes second nature after a while. I read every food label from everything I eat/drink. Not cause I'm paranoid or addicted to it, but because I think it's interesting. For example, a lot of 100% whole wheat bread contains tons of high fructose corn syrup. Or finding out that your favorite protein bar or powder has tons of fat or sugars in it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
It becomes second nature after a while. I read every food label from everything I eat/drink. Not cause I'm paranoid or addicted to it, but because I think it's interesting. For example, a lot of 100% whole wheat bread contains tons of high fructose corn syrup. Or finding out that your favorite protein bar or powder has tons of fat or sugars in it.
Yeah, this is all new to me. It amazing how some food companies completely mislead the public into thinking some of their stuff is healthier then normal stuff. I was reading bread content in the store yesterday checking on different wheat breads. I was shocked to find out that many wheat breads are just as bad if not worse then some white breads! I ended up buying a loaf of 7 multi-grain bread instead. I'll only eat one piece at a time with turkey on it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Lifer

Check ur e-mail.

www.AutoConnectionUSA.net

AutoConnection USA LLC
7100 South Cooper Street
Arlington, TX 76001
(800)951-5714
Brandon Daniels or Allen Love
One of our latest Dyno Videos!!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Yeah, this is all new to me. It amazing how some food companies completely mislead the public into thinking some of their stuff is healthier then normal stuff. I was reading bread content in the store yesterday checking on different wheat breads. I was shocked to find out that many wheat breads are just as bad if not worse then some white breads! I ended up buying a loaf of 7 multi-grain bread instead. I'll only eat one piece at a time with turkey on it.
I have learned just to stay away from bread entirely. Don't get me wrong, I love bread. But all the good bread is god awful for you (highly processed, high on the glycemic index) and the only stuff that is decent tastes like hay.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post

Finally, some freaken first hand intelligence!

Don't worry to much about your salt intake(as it's more of a long term thing).
I put salt on almost everything(I know, I will probably die from it too, lol).
I drink nothing but water(as in... a few gallons daily) and I don't notice any real water bloating of any sort.
Like was said...if you have a contest coming up, then worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement