lower stomach, obliques - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

lower stomach, obliques

I'm 5'10 165-170. I've got a swimmers build, with broad shoulders long arms and am not huge by any means, i'm lean and toned. I work out 5 days a week, and have a good diet, but for the life of me can not get my obliques, and lower stomach where I want them. I hover around 12-13% body fat, and these two places have driven me nuts for about the past 6-8 months. I'm doing cardio, and like I said working out 5 days a week. Do y'all have any tips or different excercises that could help. Don't say diet, or cardio because those i'm already doing. Thanks guys.

I'll show your president the same respect you showed mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedLove View Post
Don't say diet, or cardio because those i'm already doing. Thanks guys.
Apparently not enough of one or the other. 12-13% is not all that lean in terms of showing the obliques and serratus muscles. They're under there as stabilizers, you just aren't lean enough yet to pull them out.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Baller

what exercises are you already doing? and ill second that your body fat is a few points too high

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Apparently not enough of one or the other. 12-13% is not all that lean in terms of showing the obliques and serratus muscles. They're under there as stabilizers, you just aren't lean enough yet to pull them out.
Yup, I used to think I didn't have them either.
As I got leaner and leaner, they then pretruded more and more and actually became noticable.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I do ATLEAST 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I don't drink soda, no junk food. My breakfast is, a bagel with light cream cheese, lunch usually consists of, turkey sandwhich, cheese, mustard. Apple, orange, or pear, with wheat thins. Dinner is either Chicken and some type of noodles always with a vegetable, or just noodles, with vegetable, and fruit. I rarely snack, if I do I have wheat thins and cheese, or some type of fruit. Sundays I will cheat, but it's never horrible just a backyard burger or something never any fast food. I dunno what else to do. I drink a protein shake once a day. I take N.O Xplode, I dunno what else to do man. Oh another snack I make is peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, and I drink atleast 100 oz of water a day.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

I agree that you have to change up something, 12-13% is a good body fat for being in shape, but you need to be more lean to show the obliques.

I am 6'1" and at my best last year I was 195lbs at 10% Body fat. You could see my obliques but they were not full blown out there yet.

I know I need to limit beer and have a better diet to get there, but I am happy where I am at now. 185lbs at 13%BF. My lower abs are just a testament to my beer love affair......

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Worship me

30 minutes of cardio is not really that much. I knocked that out this morning and I'm a huge fat ass just getting started in the shape up contest. In the past I've done over an hour a day.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
30 minutes of cardio is not really that much. I knocked that out this morning and I'm a huge fat ass just getting started in the shape up contest. In the past I've done over an hour a day.
I really don't have my time. I'm a full time student, as well as have a full time job. I need more hours in a day is what I really need.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I really don't have my time. I'm a full time student, as well as have a full time job. I need more hours in a day is what I really need.
Stangin4Lyfe in 5...4.....3....2....

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
lol

http://banamex.mybrute.com

01 silver lightning
FOR SALE
* Lightning supercharger set up.*$800
-supercharger, intake manifold, intercooler, fuel rails, and 7 42lb injectors. plus misc.. parts
*4.6/5.4 Cobra water pump $60
*4R100 with 36k miles $800
Turbo 5.4 is a thief
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Oh I hear you man. I got a full time job and a one year old at home that I like to see. I got on the treadmill at about 5:05am this morning.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Oh I hear you man. I got a full time job and a one year old at home that I like to see. I got on the treadmill at about 5:05am this morning.
You're a better man than me, that's some freakin dedication. I'm usually up till around midnight or so doing my studies after working, and if I don't get my 8 hours, I'm worthless the next day.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I do ATLEAST 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I don't drink soda, no junk food. My breakfast is, a bagel with light cream cheese, lunch usually consists of, turkey sandwhich, cheese, mustard. Apple, orange, or pear, with wheat thins. Dinner is either Chicken and some type of noodles always with a vegetable, or just noodles, with vegetable, and fruit. I rarely snack, if I do I have wheat thins and cheese, or some type of fruit. Sundays I will cheat, but it's never horrible just a backyard burger or something never any fast food. I dunno what else to do. I drink a protein shake once a day. I take N.O Xplode, I dunno what else to do man. Oh another snack I make is peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, and I drink atleast 100 oz of water a day.
Start by counting every calorie, that's the only way of knowing exactly what you're eating. Only then can you see where to adjust. Burning fat is a very simple equation, and no matter how "strict" you think you are being, you are eating too much of the wrong stuff if you aren't losing any more fat.

If you don't have time for more cario, the only other option is to get your diet niled down. You CAN get deep into single digit bodyfat with weight training and 30 minutes of cardio, but your diet has to be flawless.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
You're a better man than me, that's some freakin dedication. I'm usually up till around midnight or so doing my studies after working, and if I don't get my 8 hours, I'm worthless the next day.
Before I broke my leg I would jog for 45 minutes every morning, 4-6 days a week. it's a matter of how bad do you want it?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Start by counting every calorie, that's the only way of knowing exactly what you're eating. Only then can you see where to adjust. Burning fat is a very simple equation, and no matter how "strict" you think you are being, you are eating too much of the wrong stuff if you aren't losing any more fat.

If you don't have time for more cario, the only other option is to get your diet niled down. You CAN get deep into single digit bodyfat with weight training and 30 minutes of cardio, but your diet has to be flawless.
Do some people naturally store more fat?

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Yes, but stop making excuses already. If you want to reach that goal you gotta push harder

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Baller

Quote:
thats your problem...eight hours of sleep every night. Harden up and replace an hour of that with a workout.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Before I broke my leg I would jog for 45 minutes every morning, 4-6 days a week. it's a matter of how bad do you want it?
Trust me man I would love to have the "perfect" body, but it would come to the point where it would interfere with other more important things.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Yes, and you have to sacrifice for it. It's gonna take an hour a day of hard paced cardio and a super clean diet. At least, for me it does.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
thats your problem...eight hours of sleep every night. Harden up and replace an hour of that with a workout.
LOL Very true, very true.

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
There are 3 bodytypes (endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph) and all 3 of them will store fat if they eat too much. Conversely all 3 will burn it off if all factors are in check. calories in < calories out

For example, I'm a mesomorph, quick to gain weight, good and bad. I've been as high as low 20% bodyfat, and as lean as 8-9%. When I want to lose weight I count my calories and hit my cardio.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Trust me man I would love to have the "perfect" body, but it would come to the point where it would interfere with other more important things.
Then realize that life comes with priorities, and abs aren't high on the list for you. There is no easy answer, you're wanting your cake, and to eat it to, and the cake is keeping you fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Nobody

Quote:
There is no easy answer, you're wanting your cake, and to eat it to, and the cake is keeping you fat.
LMAO! Quote of the day!

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Baller

Quote:
You seriously think over sleeping is more important than badass abs?! even Staying awake playing with yourself will burn more calories than sleeping
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I haven't seen my obliques since I was 27. LOL

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Time Served

diet is the only thing man! its the most important thing in transforming your body!

one thing people forget about diet is the carb intake and that is very important !when you get stuck it can make a world of difference just influencing your insulin levels! when your body has carbs it releases insulin from your pancreas(not sure on spelling) and sends it thru your blodstream! which is great for your muscles but bad for fat burning! when insulin levels are high the body stores fat! find out what kind of carbs your eating and when you should eat them, then the fat will start to fall again!

just to start you off....
high GI (fast absorbing carbs) white bread, sugar, sugary cereals, jelly, white rice,

low GI (slow absorbing) wheat foods, brown rice, fruit, most jam, and most 100% fruit juices!

try eating fast absorbing carbs first thing in the morning and directly after work out only rest of the time eat slow absorbing carbs!!!! promise it will work it helped me and many of my clients!

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Thumbs up

Quote:
lol

HTFU

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
not exclude

Quote:
You seriously think over sleeping is more important than badass abs?! even Staying awake playing with yourself will burn more calories than sleeping
Or, keep your sleep and go hardcore on your diet. Get rid of the cheese, breads, wheat thins and keep pasta on the low side. Get your carbs from fruits and veggies as opposed to refined breads and pasta.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Or, keep your sleep and go hardcore on your diet. Get rid of the cheese, breads, wheat thins and keep pasta on the low side. Get your carbs from fruits and veggies as opposed to refined breads and pasta.
I guess that'll work...but that can be tough if he's as busy as he says he is. that's why not sleeping so much is a win-win situation. He has more time, and he burns more calories.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Sorry, I was slacking(at the gym last night, instead of on the net...my bad!).

But yea...I've been up at the gym at 3:30am hitting it by myself right before I had to be at work
at 6am for 7 days a week, 12-13 hr shifts.
so don't give me none of that I don't have time horseshit!
If you want it bad enough, you will make time.
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
It's tough but it's been mentioned how bad do you want it?

I saw this in someone's sig on Lockout...

"I do things today that others don't so I can do tomorrow what others cannot"
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Ab wheel is your friend
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Ab wheel is your friend

but does that really work the lower abs as much as the uppers? I have one and i feel it more up top than i do in the bottom abs.
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

There is no 'one shot advice'. Everyone is different, there are only good suggestions. You are just gonna have to try it and see. We all know (hate) those guys that don't do jack except chest and arms every Monday, and stay ripped. Just keep up what you are doing and watch your calories as described.

Core exercises are key also. Go flip some tires lol.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
but does that really work the lower abs as much as the uppers? I have one and i feel it more up top than i do in the bottom abs.
You're not listening...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:

It's all in how you use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7hthPZQKY
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Baller

Quote:
You're not listening...
Hell no he's not.

You're too fat! You can form and shape the muscle under the fat but you still wont see it. 12-13% is too high to be cut.

Stop sleeping so fucking much. 8 hours is for kids and old people. If you're really doing that much cardio then it's obviously not working. Double it. Cut some of the food.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Sorry, I was slacking(at the gym last night, instead of on the net...my bad!).

But yea...I've been up at the gym at 3:30am hitting it by myself right before I had to be at work
at 6am for 7 days a week, 12-13 hr shifts.
so don't give me none of that I don't have time horseshit!
If you want it bad enough, you will make time.
2nd I used to get mad that i didn't have time to do the things i "wanted" which was be lazy watch tv and eat. But i also wanted to have this nice body. Now it has become more of a lifestyle than anything. I hated eating every two hours. I hated cooking food for the next day. But now that I have been doing it for 4 months my body is looking better. If you want it bad enough you'll make time. If you can make time to eat right you can make more time to work out.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
You're too fat! You can form and shape the muscle under the fat but you still wont see it. 12-13% is too high to be cut.
I can tell you from experiance that even at 10 or 11% I've got decent looing abs including the underwear V, but my obliques don't show. Part of that is genetics, but mostly too much bodyfat. I have a strong core, and do plenty of lower and uper ab exercises, it's all about getting the fat outta the way

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I can tell you from experiance that even at 10 or 11% I've got decent looing abs including the underwear V, but my obliques don't show. Part of that is genetics, but mostly too much bodyfat. I have a strong core, and do plenty of lower and uper ab exercises, it's all about getting the fat outta the way
Same here, i show abs and V nicely at a true 12%.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Time Served

What are obliques?
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
You're not listening...

you're right, i don't hear shit, but aparently i don't read too well either.

how does my ab wheel question have to do with anything talked about above?
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Not to mention, most people do not know how to measure their BF correctly. Calipers are ok, but can be off, and forget the electric current meters.

Are you sure you are at 12 ish%?

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

You asked how to get your obliques and lower abs to show, and when told that it is primarily diet, you continue to ask for exercise advise. All exercising will do is make them stonger while still under a veil of fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
Not to mention, most people do not know how to measure their BF correctly. Calipers are ok, but can be off, and forget the electric current meters.

Are you sure you are at 12 ish%?
I am, but cant speak for the others.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Baller

Quote:

to be real with you...I originally thought you were asking in regards to what the OP was inquiring about. But now I see that you haven't said shit about abs showing, or body fat %.

To answer your question, ab wheels work amazing for lower abs if used correctly. When I was in the single digit body fat range and heavily concerned with the way my torso looked, the ab wheel was probably my best friend.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
You asked how to get your obliques and lower abs to show, and when told that it is primarily diet, you continue to ask for exercise advise. All exercising will do is make them stonger while still under a veil of fat.

no shit, but i asked about the ab wheel, nothing else. Trust me, i have a long ways to go before my lower abs start to show and i know what i need to do. ruffdaddy caught it ^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement