Got a new bike today. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thumbs up Got a new bike today.

Got a pretty good deal on it at RBM. Should be a good tri season this year. My old college club invited me to ride in the College Nationals with them this year so I have some work to do to get ready. The guys at RBM are awesome, they spent a lot of time perfecting the fit, which was a lot of work to get me fit on the bike.

02-z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Baller

Chainlove had a Roo Caliente (carbon, full Dura-Ace, etc) up a week or two ago (not for long) for something like 45% off. It was like $1800 after the discount.

Can I ask what it set you back? Also, I know you're a clyde like me... what are you doing for wheels?

BTW, some guys at work talked me into doing a tri with them (which is why I started running again) but I realized my knee just won't take it right now. Anyway, As I ease back into it, a tri (just a sprint for now) is what's motivating me.

EDIT: Actually, I just searched for it. They still have one S and one L for 40% off (raw, unassembled)

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Out the door I was right at 1300 with a few little extras. They had to change out a lot to get my reach to work with the bike. I had to go with a longer stem, longer aero bars, and droped the bars a bit. Zipp has a new Cylde series of wheels, I will probebly go with those in a few months. I almost went with a P1 but I liked the feel of this bike better.

02-z28

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM
MFFL!

Nice bike. I only mtn bike, but I've been thinking of getting a roadie for training. Much less of a bike than that though. I've been looking at the Specialized Allez Compact double. First TMBRA race I'm doing is in a couple weeks at Bar-H. I need to pick up my game.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
That's what she said!

That's a nice bike man. I may have to check one of those out in person!

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
That's what she said!

What brand is that?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatch5_0 View Post
What brand is that?
Quintana Roo

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
That's what she said!

That's what I thought I just could not find it on Richardson's site.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Wow, Just got done with my first real ride with it. World of difference. I gained about 6 MPH on my average today and was not pushing myself. I should have done this a long time ago.

02-z28
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Chainlove had a Roo Caliente (carbon, full Dura-Ace, etc) up a week or two ago (not for long) for something like 45% off. It was like $1800 after the discount.

Not that many people would be interested, but it's back up right now: http://bonk.gearattack.com/

Quintana Roo Caliente Triathlon Bike
Built specifically to rule a triathlon. ( toggle )

Quintana Roo didn�t take a time-trial bike and slap a triathlon sticker on the side, it made the Caliente Bike from the ground up to help you dominate your next race. In fact, Quintana Roo makes nothing but triathlon gear, so you know this bike includes everything you need to crush it. Carbon construction and Dura-Ace components keep weight low and performance high. DISCLAIMER: Bike is NOT ready to ride and requires assembly by a certified bike mechanic. We will not be held liable for injuries you cause to yourself or others through the use (or misuse) of this product.

* Raw, S (2 of 2 remain)
* Raw, M (3 of 3 remain)
* Raw, L (2 of 2 remain)

# Price: $1867.47 USD
# Stock: 7 of 7 (100 %)
# Discount: 47% off
# MSRP: $3499.95 USD
# Removed: - current item -
# Time Available: 19 minutes

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

That is a hell of a deal.. I might have gone for that if I had seen it. But, I am happy as hell with what I have.

02-z28
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Make 7 Up Yours

Do you guys ever hit White Rock lake? I live at WR and love going out there. I try and hit it 3-5 times a week.

I am riding an old steel with upgraded whls, but am looking for a newer (used) road bike. I plan to do 2-3 races this year. Nothing too far, just some 25-45 milers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
No wonder you dont want to have casual sex...you've been traumatized! LMAO.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135 View Post
But, I am happy as hell with what I have.
As you should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiA View Post
Do you guys ever hit White Rock lake?
I never have, but I have a buddy that lives over that way that is always wanting to go... but it seems everytime we try to get over there it gets balls cold. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

I think I'm going to do this on Saturday. Very rough google earth estimate is ~13mi one way. Some long flats, some good hills, etc.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-25-2009 at 06:48 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I am out at White Rock every Wed. and Sunday. Every once in a while I go over to River Legacy on Wed. for my old tri. clubs ride.

02-z28
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Make 7 Up Yours

Quote:

I am out at White Rock every Wed. and Sunday. Every once in a while I go over to River Legacy on Wed. for my old tri. clubs ride.
What time are you over here those days? Riding solo gets boring and I find that I am not pushing myself as much as I do when I jump in with a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
No wonder you dont want to have casual sex...you've been traumatized! LMAO.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiA View Post
What time are you over here those days? Riding solo gets boring and I find that I am not pushing myself as much as I do when I jump in with a group.
Really just depends, I like to go around 1-2 in the afternoon, but sometimes later. If you ever wanna ride, just shoot me a PM.

02-z28
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Lifer

The Trinity Trail in FTW is about that distance. It's a nice ride. You could ride and stop in at Hoffbrau for a beer and/or steak!

My wife and I used to ride it before we had our kids.... Back in the early 90's it wasn't as nice, and there were a bunch of homeless you had to watch out for.

I used to ride with DORBA too. I miss those rides....
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Ok Ronin (Ryan, right?)...

Any recommendations for a good fitter around here? I wasn't planning on buying anything later in the year until I had more running time on my knee and could sign up for some races, but I came across a private seller deal too good to pass up.
The fit needs some tweaking (the crank arms and stem feel a little too long) but I paid less for the whole bike than it would cost to just buy the drivetrain parts new.

I was thinking about taking it over to Richardson Bike Mart (?) unless someone has a better recommendation.

Anyway...

Viner Pro Team TT frame ( www.vinerbikes.com)
Dura Ace crank (55-42), brakes, derailleurs, front hub, chain
Ultegra cassette (12-27), rear hub
Vision aero bars
Saturn wheels w/ Conti tubulars

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 06-22-2009 at 08:03 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Lifer

Wow thats a sick lookin bike!

<--- Fellow biker, but mines a mountain bike. I love my bike, riding is one of the best activities ever.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Ok Ronin (Ryan, right?)...

Any recommendations for a good fitter around here? I wasn't planning on buying anything later in the year until I had more running time on my knee and could sign up for some races, but I came across a private seller deal too good to pass up.
The fit needs some tweaking (the crank arms and stem feel a little too long) but I paid less for the whole bike than it would cost to just buy the drivetrain parts new.

I was thinking about taking it over to Richardson Bike Mart (?) unless someone has a better recommendation.

Anyway...

Viner Pro Team TT frame ( www.vinerbikes.com)
Dura Ace crank (55-42), brakes, derailleurs, front hub, chain
Ultegra cassette (12-27), rear hub
Vision aero bars
Saturn wheels w/ Conti tubulars

Yes its Ryan, I got Fitted at RBM and had a great experience I had the head fitter fit me and he did a great job and even stayed 1 hour past closing to get it right. Looks like a sweet ass bike man, have fun on it, bikes are addicting huhh?

02-z28
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Yes its Ryan, I got Fitted at RBM and had a great experience I had the head fitter fit me and he did a great job and even stayed 1 hour past closing to get it right. Looks like a sweet ass bike man, have fun on it, bikes are addicting huhh?

No doubt.
1 roadie, now 1 tri/tt... eventually I'll add a MTB to the stable. I should have kept that Gary Fisher hybrid I had. It was a nice cruise-around-with-nothing-to-do bike.

I'll call RBM tomorrow and try to make an appt.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Lifer

Just get yourself a simple Hard tail. You dont need a full suspension. Then you can come down here, and ill show you some cool trails!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
No doubt.
1 roadie, now 1 tri/tt... eventually I'll add a MTB to the stable. I should have kept that Gary Fisher hybrid I had. It was a nice cruise-around-with-nothing-to-do bike.

I'll call RBM tomorrow and try to make an appt.
I now have 3 road bikes, 1 mtn. bike and a Tri bike. Looking to add a Fixed gear race bike to the stable before to long.

02-z28
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Gunga galunga

So do any of you MTB people use clipless pedals? I put them on and I can't get comfortable with them. I had no problem with them on my old road bike, but on the trail I just don't like it...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:

OK, once I get the fit dialed in, or at least close enough for now, how long is it going to take to get used to being aero for extended periods? My neck just ain't used to this shit... but damn, there is definitely a speed difference.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
So do any of you MTB people use clipless pedals? I put them on and I can't get comfortable with them. I had no problem with them on my old road bike, but on the trail I just don't like it...
I have clip ins on mine. I LOVE them. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do, its so much better.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You need to get some that release better. Or use some that have more "float". I used some shimano style cheapos years ago and hated them. Swore off them for years. But now I use Crank Brothers egg beaters. They are light, they have a good amount of float, they release easily, and they are small enough that they never get hung up on anything. Some people may think I'm weird, but I use these on my mountain bike AND my Cannondale road bike. I love them. Not saying they are for everyone, but you may have to experiment with a few types before you find one you like.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Lifer

Mine are the Shimano, and Ive never had any issues with them. Like I said it took awhile to get accustomed to, but after you do, its like 2nd nature. Wouldnt ride with anything else.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Nice bike. I only mtn bike, but I've been thinking of getting a roadie for training. Much less of a bike than that though. I've been looking at the Specialized Allez Compact double. First TMBRA race I'm doing is in a couple weeks at Bar-H. I need to pick up my game.
I did finally get my roadie too, well a cyclocross bike. Picked it up off Ebay out of a shop in Canada. Brand new, never ridden. Retail from Specialized was $2700. I got it for $1170 shipped, plus he threw in some matching Specialized water bottle cages and a matching helmet. Has full SRAM Rival components w/ Doubletap shifters. Couldnt pass up that deal.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM
MFFL!

Quote:
Yeah, I have Shimano SPDs on both my mountain and cyclocross bikes. With the mountain bike, it took maybe 10 rides to get totally comfortable to be able to ride anywhere with them. Once you fall a couple times and realize that you actually can get out of your pedals and you're not gonna die, it becomes much easier on the mind.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Yeah, I have Shimano SPDs on both my mountain and cyclocross bikes. With the mountain bike, it took maybe 10 rides to get totally comfortable to be able to ride anywhere with them. Once you fall a couple times and realize that you actually can get out of your pedals and you're not gonna die, it becomes much easier on the mind.
Yeah, I haven't been riding much, I need to give them another chance... I'm using the m540's which are really similar to what I had on my road bike. I adjusted them to be a little "looser", but I think I went to far. I've always used mtb style shoes because I like to be able to walk so nothing has changed there

I just got back onto a mtb, and I've felt like such a pussy on the trail... Stuff I would have done without a second thought is a lot tougher now lol, and the pedals haven't helped...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
OK, once I get the fit dialed in, or at least close enough for now, how long is it going to take to get used to being aero for extended periods? My neck just ain't used to this shit... but damn, there is definitely a speed difference.
Ill put it this way I am still getting used to it. I can go about 20 miles before I have to get up a stretch for a few miles. But, I am also about 60 pounds heaver than the average person these bikes are built for. I also noticed I do better in the areo position if I drop my cadence down from what I do on a road bike.

02-z28
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:25 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Ill put it this way I am still getting used to it. I can go about 20 miles before I have to get up a stretch for a few miles. But, I am also about 60 pounds heaver than the average person these bikes are built for. I also noticed I do better in the areo position if I drop my cadence down from what I do on a road bike.
Good to hear. I've noticed that while aero I naturally drop my cadence. I havent hooked up my Garmin on this one yet so it's all by feel, but if I try to maintain what feels like a normal roadie cadence (~90) then my pedal strokes start to feel jerky and unstable. Oh and my neck hates me... and I think I need a different saddle, LOL.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement