Protien shake question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Protien shake question

first off, sorry if my questions are getting annoying, i'm learning.

now to my quesiton. I normally do 30min of cardio then do abs and then i usually try to work in some weights ( i'm limited, i only have dumbells). If i do the weights i always have a protien shake afterwards. If i DON'T do the weights, do i still need to do the shake(not the Neal McCoy dance, the protien)? For some reason i'm thinking if i don't do the weights and still drink the protien it defeats the purpose of the cardio and ab workouts.

Am i right or just a total dumbshit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Nobody

Well, you can do some good workouts with db's. As for the shake, take it on all the days.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
Well, you can do some good workouts with db's. As for the shake, take it on all the days.

ok, may i ask why? I am guessing cause it helps whatever muscles i work on that day recover faster?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Time Served

I wouldn't say you ONLY have dumbbells, since they're pretty much the most versatile workout equipment ever invented. Check out the Bodybuilding.com exercises page if you need some new dumb bell exercises...
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

What are you trying to accomplish with your workouts? Are you trying to lose wieght and tone up or are you trying to build muscle and gain weight?

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
ok, may i ask why? I am guessing cause it helps whatever muscles i work on that day recover faster?

your muscles dont recover in one day so you need to continue to provide the necessary proteins and BCAAs every day of the week.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown03_GT View Post
What are you trying to accomplish with your workouts? Are you trying to lose wieght and tone up or are you trying to build muscle and gain weight?

lose weight and tone up. Mainly trying to get what gut i have and face fat off of me.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
your muscles dont recover in one day so you need to continue to provide the necessary proteins and BCAAs every day of the week.

so, rather i work out that day or not, drink a shake??
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Baller

Quote:
so, rather i work out that day or not, drink a shake??

yes...drink a protein shake every day of the week. but you don't need the 300 grams of protein most people here will try and tell you to consume if you're trying to cut down.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
yes...drink a protein shake every day of the week. but you don't need the 300 grams of protein most people here will try and tell you to consume if you're trying to cut down.

yeah, i've just been doing one scoop instead of the two that it says on the bottle.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Nobody

Quote:
That's right, you need like 700 grams, and at least two pounds of fruit. The fat will just fall off. Oh yeah, and eat it all at one meal.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Baller

Quote:
That's right, you need like 700 grams, and at least two pounds of fruit. The fat will just fall off. Oh yeah, and eat it all at one meal.
HAHAHA...someone thinks they're funny. That's cute.

What's the point of your post anyways?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Nobody

Quote:
yeah, i've just been doing one scoop instead of the two that it says on the bottle.
Seriously, if you are trying to lose bodyfat, stick to 1 gram per lb. Any more than that for your goals is literally just pissing money away. Since you are trying to cut your BF down, I will let you read what the EXPERTS say about fruit, so you can make your own decision.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Hey...that's my moto!
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Nobody

Quote:
HAHAHA...someone thinks they're funny. That's cute.

What's the point of your post anyways?
I'm agreeing with you and poking fun at some replies to other posts from other people.

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
Hey...that's my moto!
See, ruffdaddy, He got it.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Very Interesting

If you are trying to lose weight, the best method is simply create a deficit in calories.

3500 calories = 1 pound

In order to lose one pound a week, you'd need to create a deficit of 3500 calories for the week, or 500 calories per day.

Example: 250lb man, 6 foot tall, age 30 would need approximately 3000 calories a day to maintain that weight.

If you reduced your calories to 2500 per day, with no added exercise, you should lose a pound a week.

Now this isn't an exact science, it's all based on averages, etc. Find your caloric need, set your weight loss goal, and find out how many caloires of deficit you need per day to accomplish this.

By adding exercise, you can take the average caloric burn and subtract that as well.

Let's say you need 3000 calories to maintain weight, and you decide that a pound a week is a good ammount to lose, that means on your days you exercise, you can technically add more calories that day and still maintain a 500 calorie deficit.

Building muscle/strength and cutting weight is possible, but if you are strictly focused on building mass, then you want to create a surpluss in calories for your body to grow.

Keep your daily intake somewhere around 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. You can even step that up to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat, to reduce your fat intake.

Make sure the proteins you are taking in are lean, the carbs you take in are complex, and the fat you take in is low in trans fat.

Successful weight loss doesn't happen overnight, any quick loss typically results in quick regains after you stop.

Bring on the experts to correct me here

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Baller

Quote:
I'm agreeing with you and poking fun at some replies to other posts from other people.
and I'm a dumbass...haha...guess i misread.

There seems to be too many conflicting opinions on this subject so many people assume they should just go balls to the wall on protein. I get kinda tired of hearing people preach about their believe in 2-3 grams per lb of body weight.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
and I'm a dumbass...haha...guess i misread.

There seems to be too many conflicting opinions on this subject so many people assume they should just go balls to the wall on protein. I get kinda tired of hearing people preach about their believe in 2-3 grams per lb of body weight.
You know im with you on this one and even sell it. haha

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

OK, this is some good info i think. I believe ( if i'm adding it up correctly) i'm consuming just under 1500 calories a day, maybe just over if i don't eat the "usual".

breakfast- 1pkg of oatmeal with a whole weat toast (was two pcs but i went to one piece of toast with a little peanut butter for taste)

mid morning snack- 1 small Gala apple at 10am

lunch- is either a 6inch roasted chicken breast on wheat with lettuce, pickles and yellow mustard (sometimes honey mustard) and sweet tea. OR we go to Golden Chick and i get a roasted breast with green beans (i need to stop eating that damn roll that comes with it i know) with a small sweet tea

mid afternoon snack- 1 small gala apple at about 3:30ish

dinner- if i went to subway for lunch, i eat the rest of my 6inch sub. If not, i usually eat a boneless chicken breast or a small portion or something i can find in the house.

30-45min after i eat dinner, i get on the treadmill for 30min and then do some ab workouts with a littel weight lifting.

after workout is when i drink my Syntha-6 shake (1 scoop)

in a little over 2weeks time, i've lost 7lbs, i'm sure it's mainly water weight, but hey, at least i'm losing something.

How does this sound so far to the "experts"?
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

oh, sorry, i'm 6'2" and as of this morning i weighed 198
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
If you are trying to lose weight, the best method is simply create a deficit in calories.

3500 calories = 1 pound

In order to lose one pound a week, you'd need to create a deficit of 3500 calories for the week, or 500 calories per day.

Example: 250lb man, 6 foot tall, age 30 would need approximately 3000 calories a day to maintain that weight.

If you reduced your calories to 2500 per day, with no added exercise, you should lose a pound a week.

Now this isn't an exact science, it's all based on averages, etc. Find your caloric need, set your weight loss goal, and find out how many caloires of deficit you need per day to accomplish this.

By adding exercise, you can take the average caloric burn and subtract that as well.

Let's say you need 3000 calories to maintain weight, and you decide that a pound a week is a good ammount to lose, that means on your days you exercise, you can technically add more calories that day and still maintain a 500 calorie deficit.

Building muscle/strength and cutting weight is possible, but if you are strictly focused on building mass, then you want to create a surpluss in calories for your body to grow.

Keep your daily intake somewhere around 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. You can even step that up to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat, to reduce your fat intake.

Make sure the proteins you are taking in are lean, the carbs you take in are complex, and the fat you take in is low in trans fat.

Successful weight loss doesn't happen overnight, any quick loss typically results in quick regains after you stop.

Bring on the experts to correct me here
No corrections needed...
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

one last thing, i usually drink around a gallon of water a day. I've never pissed so much in my life
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Very Interesting

cut out the sweet tea, switch to unsweet tea

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
cut out the sweet tea, switch to unsweet tea

yuck, i'll just keep it at water then. Sweet tea makes that big of difference?
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Very Interesting

the added calories from the sugar are worthless, as are the carbs from the sugar at this point.

I couldn't find Chicken Express... But here is Sonic's Sweet Tea
Serving Size: 32oz
Calories: 290
Total Fat: 0g
Carbs: 75g
Protein: 0g

That's a shit load of sugar

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
the added calories from the sugar are worthless, as are the carbs from the sugar at this point.

I couldn't find Chicken Express... But here is Sonic's Sweet Tea
Serving Size: 32oz
Calories: 290
Total Fat: 0g
Carbs: 75g
Protein: 0g

That's a shit load of sugar

GOTCHA, no more sweet tea, that's going to be tough. So, besides the tea, does everything else i'm eating seem to be on the right track for losing some weight?
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Baller

where are you gettin 3500Cal is 1 Pound? Calorie is a measure of energy...
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
where are you gettin 3500Cal is 1 Pound? Calorie is a measure of energy...
just about every medical write up on fat.

3500 unused calories gets stored as one pound of fat.

If the body can't use it, or get rid of it as waste, it stores it as fat.

The body typically processes carbs, protein, and fat in that order. If you have a surplus of carbs, your body doesn't get a chance to use all of the protein and fat you take in. Which is also why a 40/30/30 ratio is a good ratio to maintain.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Nobody

Quote:
OK, this is some good info i think. I believe ( if i'm adding it up correctly) i'm consuming just under 1500 calories a day, maybe just over if i don't eat the "usual".

breakfast- 1pkg of oatmeal with a whole weat toast (was two pcs but i went to one piece of toast with a little peanut butter for taste)

mid morning snack- 1 small Gala apple at 10am

lunch- is either a 6inch roasted chicken breast on wheat with lettuce, pickles and yellow mustard (sometimes honey mustard) and sweet tea. OR we go to Golden Chick and i get a roasted breast with green beans (i need to stop eating that damn roll that comes with it i know) with a small sweet tea

mid afternoon snack- 1 small gala apple at about 3:30ish

dinner- if i went to subway for lunch, i eat the rest of my 6inch sub. If not, i usually eat a boneless chicken breast or a small portion or something i can find in the house.

30-45min after i eat dinner, i get on the treadmill for 30min and then do some ab workouts with a littel weight lifting.

after workout is when i drink my Syntha-6 shake (1 scoop)

in a little over 2weeks time, i've lost 7lbs, i'm sure it's mainly water weight, but hey, at least i'm losing something.

How does this sound so far to the "experts"?
That actually looks pretty good. I would add a protein shake with the breakfast, gets your body out of a catabolic state. Wouldn't hurt to up the cardio too, unless you are doing HIIT.

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
That actually looks pretty good. I would add a protein shake with the breakfast, gets your body out of a catabolic state. Wouldn't hurt to up the cardio too, unless you are doing HIIT.

i was doing HIIT a couple of times, but my treadmill doesn't go fast enough. I just figured that doing a 5min brisk warm up walk with 20min jog at 5.5speed (just a little over 2miles) and then a 5min cool down walk was better than doing no cardio at all lol
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Nobody

Quote:
i was doing HIIT a couple of times, but my treadmill doesn't go fast enough. I just figured that doing a 5min brisk warm up walk with 20min jog at 5.5speed (just a little over 2miles) and then a 5min cool down walk was better than doing no cardio at all lol
That's true, an extra 10 or 15 minutes at 4 mph or so, would make a good difference as well. But, whatever you can do is better than nothing, you don't want to start dreading the cardio.

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
That's true, an extra 10 or 15 minutes at 4 mph or so, would make a good difference as well. But, whatever you can do is better than nothing, you don't want to start dreading the cardio.

yeah, at first i was only running for 10min., then 15, and now i'm at 20. I know me, if i try to do too much at first, i'll just quit it all. Maybe next week or wed. i'll try the extra 10min.

Surprisingly, the cardio and eating right have been the easy things so far. And the ab workouts. I still have to make myself lift weights.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Baller

Quote:
just about every medical write up on fat.

3500 unused calories gets stored as one pound of fat.

If the body can't use it, or get rid of it as waste, it stores it as fat.

The body typically processes carbs, protein, and fat in that order. If you have a surplus of carbs, your body doesn't get a chance to use all of the protein and fat you take in. Which is also why a 40/30/30 ratio is a good ratio to maintain.

Oh i see what you mean...1 lb of fat provides 3500 Cal of energy. I hate calorie counting as it's a very difficult subject when you consider all factors of net calories obtained after digestion, effeciency in exercise, etc. But I also have never been over 12% body fat so it wasn't my primary concern.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

WELL, today was my first lunch without sweet tea

AND without eating that tasty roll

AND not eating the skin on the chicken breast. That one wasn't as bad lol
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
WELL, today was my first lunch without sweet tea

AND without eating that tasty roll

AND not eating the skin on the chicken breast. That one wasn't as bad lol
I have learned to use sweeteners with my unsweet tea and grown to like it a lot better than a sweet tea.

Two Sweet-n-low mixed in with a Bill Millers BBQ unsweet tea tastes similar to their sweet tea to me. (popular S.A., ATX, Corpus restaurant known for its sweet tea)

I also have my own iced tea maker. It is the type that you put a lot of ice and a little bit of water, a few tea bags, and a filter. The ice melts just enough to add more water - and everything mixes together.

When I put the ice in the pitcher, I add sweetener to the ice. Then the freshbrewed tea mixes with the sweetener when it is hot and it works out well. Seems to taste a little different this way as opposed to adding it in later, for whatever reason.

BTW - I have no clue how good/bad sweeteners are for you - I just know if worked for me when I was hooked on sweet tea. Now I generally drink unsweet tea with nothing more than lemon or lime.

SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
I have learned to use sweeteners with my unsweet tea and grown to like it a lot better than a sweet tea.

Two Sweet-n-low mixed in with a Bill Millers BBQ unsweet tea tastes similar to their sweet tea to me. (popular S.A., ATX, Corpus restaurant known for its sweet tea)

I also have my own iced tea maker. It is the type that you put a lot of ice and a little bit of water, a few tea bags, and a filter. The ice melts just enough to add more water - and everything mixes together.

When I put the ice in the pitcher, I add sweetener to the ice. Then the freshbrewed tea mixes with the sweetener when it is hot and it works out well. Seems to taste a little different this way as opposed to adding it in later, for whatever reason.

BTW - I have no clue how good/bad sweeteners are for you - I just know if worked for me when I was hooked on sweet tea. Now I generally drink unsweet tea with nothing more than lemon or lime.

SQ

HMMM, that's a pretty good idea, i never thought of that. Of course, now somebody will come in and say how bad the sweeteners are for you
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Nobody

Quote:
HMMM, that's a pretty good idea, i never thought of that. Of course, now somebody will come in and say how bad the sweeteners are for you
There's a lot of evidence for and against them. I use them and don't have any problems.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Artificial sweeteners are pretty bad for you, all of them. The carcinogen part of that argument isn't a big deal. It's the fact that sweeteners spike your insulin just the same as real sugar does, causing you to store the carbohydrates in your body anyway preventing them from being burnt off as easily. It's better to just use real sugar in strong moderation (or not at all) than the artificial sweeteners. I've grown to like unsweetened tea.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Artificial sweeteners are pretty bad for you, all of them. The carcinogen part of that argument isn't a big deal. It's the fact that sweeteners spike your insulin just the same as real sugar does, causing you to store the carbohydrates in your body anyway preventing them from being burnt off as easily. It's better to just use real sugar in strong moderation (or not at all) than the artificial sweeteners. I've grown to like unsweetened tea.
The very nature of how carbohydrates (muscle glycogen, to be precise) are stored is that they are stored inside the muscle tissue for use, so storing this form of carbohydrate is essential to any human movement at all. In fact, any meal containing carbohydrates causes insulin levels to rise, so regardless of the type of sweetener used, blood glucose rises in order to convert the carbohydrates into glycogen.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
The very nature of how carbohydrates (muscle glycogen, to be precise) are stored is that they are stored inside the muscle tissue for use, so storing this form of carbohydrate is essential to any human movement at all. In fact, any meal containing carbohydrates causes insulin levels to rise, so regardless of the type of sweetener used, blood glucose rises in order to convert the carbohydrates into glycogen.
How dare you bring factual scientific evidence in here. Don't you know you are only allowed to use anecdotal and/or hearsay?

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Time Served

Quote:
How dare you bring factual scientific evidence in here. Don't you know you are only allowed to use anecdotal and/or hearsay?
Dang it! That was actually an exerpt from an essay I was writing for class. I meant to say, "I eat lots of bread and cheese and it made me bulk up real good like!!"
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i weighed in at 179 last year in nov and i had 20% body fat. i wasnt very fat but i had a gut and i was flabby. in nov last year i started muy thai training. and if anyone else does it they know its pretty much ALL cardio. after only a month i dropped 15 pounds and 5% body fat. right now i weight 155 and im less than 10% body fat. i no expert but that worked for me. now im cut and you can see my abs for the first time in my life. you should do more cardio if you wanna tone up. together with your weights and eating protein, you'll bulk up and cut at the same time. it worked for me........might work for you, never know man

What was that you said about power to weight ratio? Thats what I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement