Ok/safe to work out in pain? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Ok/safe to work out in pain?

Ok, so I hit the gym on Sat for the first time in years. Everyone here knows (I think) what you feel like after working out for the first time in a while. In an effort not to be a puss any longer, I'm hitting the gym again this afternoon. Is one day off enough? I'm gonna push it today because I'm trying to get into the routine of Mon (upper body) Wed (legs and Fri (upper body). As of right now, it's still hard to get to the toilet paper to the ass, so I'm wondering if I should give it one more day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Ok, so I hit the gym on Sat for the first time in years. Everyone here knows (I think) what you feel like after working out for the first time in a while. In an effort not to be a puss any longer, I'm hitting the gym again this afternoon. Is one day off enough? I'm gonna push it today because I'm trying to get into the routine of Mon (upper body) Wed (legs and Fri (upper body). As of right now, it's still hard to get to the toilet paper to the ass, so I'm wondering if I should give it one more day?
Are you sore? I would say NO... Let your muscles heal.. One day is enough if you are in there every day.. (switching muscle groups) however, you just started, take it easy man..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Baller

one day off is rarely EVER enough in most cases if it's regarding the same muscle group.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
GoT mIlK

Quote:
As of right now, it's still hard to get to the toilet paper to the ass
lmao... been there done that... Keep up the good work... No pain no gain...

sLoW 5.0 waitin on parts...

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Lifer

Ive had two injuries since i started working out..
One was caused due to ignorance and being called a pussy and trying to prove a point.

The other was i thought it wasnt serious as it was a slight pain..

With that being said, the moment i feel any pain i stop and take off until it goes away.
Just my $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Lifer

Wait a few days IMO. Your starting out it will take some time just go do something everyday even if its just walking on the mill. Its a process of building up your body it doesnt happen over night. Stay disciplined and keep going everyday if u can.

98 Brokra
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

I think I'll go today anyway and do legs. Then I can pick my workout carefully so that I can do upper body on Wed and Fri and then get settled into the routine I intended starting next week.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Baller

Quote:
I think I'll go today anyway and do legs. Then I can pick my workout carefully so that I can do upper body on Wed and Fri and then get settled into the routine I intended starting next week.
When you say upper body...is that your entire upper body? bis arms shoulders back?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
When you say upper body...is that your entire upper body? bis arms shoulders back?
Well, the workout on Saturday was full upper body...everything. The guy I was working with did a push/pull workout (going for strength, not size since I'm a cyclist) and worked it all. Going forward though, since I'll be doing upper body twice a week, it'll be broken down into 1 major/1 minor group per workout...alternating groups each workout. I'm using a trainer for at least the next month, so I can get into the habit of going. I probably wouldnt do it on my own otherwise.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Baller

ok good. I would say to allow each muscle group at least 3 days rest for strength training. I typically go longer if it's a very intense workout for a major muscle.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Rookie

Doing upper body one day and lower another is for people that only workout 2 times a week and never want to make progress.

If you plan on hitting the gym a lot then make yourself a good split with two muscle groups a day.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Doing upper body one day and lower another is for people that only workout 2 times a week and never want to make progress.

If you plan on hitting the gym a lot then make yourself a good split with two muscle groups a day.
So you're saying 2 upper muscle groups on Monday, legs on Wed and 2 other upper muscle groups on Friday won't get me anywhere???
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Baller

Quote:
So you're saying 2 upper muscle groups on Monday, legs on Wed and 2 other upper muscle groups on Friday won't get me anywhere???
No he's not...the way you typed is appeared as if it was just 2 simple workouts. one upper one lower.

Your workout is ok for a beginner.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
No he's not...the way you typed is appeared as if it was just 2 simple workouts. one upper one lower.

Your workout is ok for a beginner.
Oh yeah, saying I'll be doing upper body 2x a week. I see. Yeah, I do legs on Wed and then of course, I ride my mountain bike 3x a week bare minimum - which makes up for the lack of another leg workout and the cardio.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Time Served

I think the biggest question mark would be whether you could fit an entire upper body workout into one day, with the danger being possibly skipping over an important exercise and having a certain muscle or muscle group fairly undeveloped while the rest of your body makes a lot more progress. For example, you might do bench press and shoulder press every time you go in, but are you going to remember to include exercises for the rear of the shoulder and for your rotator cuff?

I think if you split upper body into two separate days, like back/chest and shoulders/arms, you might take more stress off yourself and give yourself a better chance at seeing results...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
I think if you split upper body into two separate days, like back/chest and shoulders/arms, you might take more stress off yourself and give yourself a better chance at seeing results...
You read it like i did. I think ^^this^^ is what he is doing though.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
You aren't 18 anymore. Don't kill yourself. Listen to your body.

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
You read it like i did. I think ^^this^^ is what he is doing though.
Yep, we're on the same page now.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Yep, we're on the same page now.
Gotcha. To be honest, it's pretty hard to speculate on your workout and its results without any good idea of what you're doing. What have you done so far, or what do you forsee yourself doing, as far as exercises go?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Gotcha. To be honest, it's pretty hard to speculate on your workout and its results without any good idea of what you're doing. What have you done so far, or what do you forsee yourself doing, as far as exercises go?
That's why I hired a trainer. I didn't necessarily want to keep track of everything myself to start out. I wanted to be able to go in and work hard right from the start without worrying about things. I wanted to get in the habit of going again. I know not all trainers are created equally, but I'm not going to a commercial gym. I'm using a trainer over at Metroflex in Plano who's apparently known for results. I guess we'll see.

So far, I just did that one workout on Saturday. It consisted of everything upper body. Push/pull workout. More weight/less reps since I mainly want strength. We alternated exercises. I did one push exercise and then one pull exercise for each muscle group...at the same time. Just alternated back and forth between the two exercises for that muscle group if that makes sense. Then we moved to the next muscle group. That included chest, back, bis, tris, shoulders and finished up with decline situps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement