Running - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Running

How long and how often do some of you guys run? How long do you need to run before it actually does you any good?

I just started back, was a pitcher in HS so we had to run all the damn time, i hated it back then and i still hate it now. Just plain boring to me lol

I've heard that running for a awhile and then walking awhile back and forth is better for you. Maybe cause your heart rate goes up and down?? Or do most of y'all just keep a steady pace? I've been starting out with brisk walk to warm and and cool down with the run in between. Only been doing a mile the first 3 days to get use to it again. I guess i'll just slowly increase that each time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
tex
Lifer

What are your goals?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
What are your goals?

what are goals?

i don't mind weighing around the 205 mark, i just want this gut gone and be able to see my abs. I'm lifting what weights i have here at the house. I don't want to be a muscle man or anything. I guess the best way i can put it is, i want a beach volleyball players body (guys, not girls body, i know what you'll say).

i know NOTHING about supplements(sp?), thought about trying that Tri-lean stuff or some type of protien. Any suggestions on any of this, Ross?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
MFFL!

Diet diet diet. From what I've read, that Tri-lean would help also.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

The warmup we did for baseball last year was pretty simple. Jog a quarter mile, get some blood pumping, and then stretch. And for cool down, just walk a lap and control your breathing.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Lifer

At around 1-3 months, you should see significant changes (depending on your routine, work ethic, and current state of health). I suggest getting a runners log, I know it might sound lame but it will help you stay motivated and will allow you to actually see your progress. Also, sometimes signing up for a race ahead of time will help you keep your routine. Signing up for an easy 5k in a month or two will keep you thinking about how you need to try and get in better shape

Working on my project Stang
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

should i be running everyday, every other day? I was going to take today off cause my lower legs are sore as shit, but if i get bored later i might hop on the treadmill for a little bit.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Lifer

I run every time I work out which is 5 days a week. I run a mile on the thread mill which takes 10 mins. And then I use eliptical(sp) for 10 mins with as fast as I do it, it comes out to be 1.25 miles. And I have seen a difference in my stomach in the past two weeks.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
should i be running everyday, every other day? I was going to take today off cause my lower legs are sore as shit, but if i get bored later i might hop on the treadmill for a little bit.
Each person will tell you something different. I rather run everyday but I switch off between easy days, pace days and 1 or 2 fast days a week running between 25-35 miles a week. Find out what works best for you. Once you get serious about it I recommend investing in a good pair of running shoes, your feet will thank you.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 PM
tex
Lifer

If you're just wanting to cut some fat, interval training is your friend. You can use any type of cardio equipment, any type of sports court, or any type of field. If I had more time I'd go more in depth, but for now Google High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). The theory is simple, and you can tailor it to your schedule or demands.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

thanks for the useful info guys
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I do 2.5-3.0 miles 4-5 times a week. Doing that and eating a balanced diet (nothing too strict, though) lost me 40 pounds in 4 or 5 months.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I do 2.5-3.0 miles 4-5 times a week. Doing that and eating a balanced diet (nothing too strict, though) lost me 40 pounds in 4 or 5 months.
Just so ya know this is fairy typical if your trying to lose weight, so keep it up

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
If you're just wanting to cut some fat, interval training is your friend. You can use any type of cardio equipment, any type of sports court, or any type of field. If I had more time I'd go more in depth, but for now Google High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). The theory is simple, and you can tailor it to your schedule or demands.

well, i looked it up and saw a chart giving an example, so i tried it today. Might not have done it like you are talking about, but it was different than what i've been doing.

i can't copy and paste the chart so i'll TRY to explain what i did on the treadmil

warm up- 5min, at speed setting 4 for a brisk walk or very slow run.
for 1min- ran at speed setting 10
for 4min- ran at speed setting 5
for 1min- ran at speed setting 10 (this time not so easy)
for 4min- ran at speed setting 5 (difficult time getting my breathing down)
cool down- started at speed setting 4 and slowly went down for the rest of the 20min.

No real problems during the sprinting sesion, it was the breathing for the first 2min after that, that was making me second guess doing this lol
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

OR maybe i should start off by doing 30sec jog followed by 30sec sprints to start off. Sorry, i'm still reading about it, talking to myself
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM
tex
Lifer

Yeah, reduce it to 30 seconds max effort, to 1-1:30 of rest. As it gets easier and easier, you can step up the time for max effort while reducing your rest periods.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Quote:
Yeah, reduce it to 30 seconds max effort, to 1-1:30 of rest. As it gets easier and easier, you can step up the time for max effort while reducing your rest periods.

yep, this sounded much better about halfway through that second sprint
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Wind sprints, abs, and diet for what you want.

(Nothing is going to change if your diet is off)

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Back when I wasn't a fatass I'd run 4-5 miles 2-3 times a week. I noticed that the first mile or so sucked, but then I guess the body gets used to the running and it's easier if you're running at a steady pace. It would take me 35-40 minutes to finish and I'd feel like a million bucks afterwards.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM
wishin i had a fast car

About 3 years ago I was in the 225lbs range, then I started running to lose weight, I just started around a small lake in the neighborhood and its 1.5 miles. In just a few weeks I was running the whole lake without stopping. It was a long haul but now Im in the 160lbs range. I dont run as much as I did back then. I still run on the treadmill at the gym since its cold. But during the warmer months I will do 2 runs of 4-5 miles and do a 10 miler on sundays. Just work at it and it will come to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement