Newbie to supplements, help me out - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!
 
mustang_marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 15,423
Newbie to supplements, help me out

I'm planning to incorporate weight training into my regular cycling training for some upcoming races. Probably haven't touched weights in at least 8 years or so...therefore I probably have the strength of a weak sissy girl. I want to gain strength and mass quickly, yet maintain flexibility. In other words, not too bulky - not that I could pull that off anyway. At the same time, I'd like to drop a little more weight. Ive dropped 30 lbs in the last year, probably have about 10 left...all in the gut. So I know diet is probably the biggest factor to getting rid of that, but a little supplementation wouldn't hurt. I plan to hit it hard for the next 2 1/2 months or so and then just maintain my cycling. I'm 34, 6' tall, about 190lbs. I'd like to be about 180 and a ton stronger. What would you guys recommend I start with? The simpler, the better, but 1 or 2 staples for strength/mass and 1 for weight loss would be great. Sorry if that's too generic. Let me know and I'll see if I can be any more specific.
mustang_marc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lewisville
Posts: 341
Physiologically impossible to gain muscle mass and lose fat mass at the same time since one requires a surplus of calories and one requires a deficit, but the fat loss could, in time, result from the increase in lean muscle mass. I would argue for continuing your cycling while adding in a decent amount of weight training.

And just curious what you mean by "staples" of strength, mass, and weight loss?
StellarKart is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!
 
mustang_marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 15,423
Yeah, the weight loss is less important. I've got 75% of that out of the way. I just want to focus on building muscle the most. I guess after building muscle if I'm still not happy, I'll need to figure out a way to slim down.
mustang_marc is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Yeah, the weight loss is less important. I've got 75% of that out of the way. I just want to focus on building muscle the most. I guess after building muscle if I'm still not happy, I'll need to figure out a way to slim down.
Go to lockoutforums.com
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Start with protein and BCAA's. Since you're a cyclist i didnt say creatine.
Work two muscle groups a day, one small and one large group. Like Chest and Tri's for example.
The abs will come over time with healthy eating and time pushing weight.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!
 
mustang_marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 15,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Start with protein and BCAA's. Since you're a cyclist i didnt say creatine.
Work two muscle groups a day, one small and one large group. Like Chest and Tri's for example.
The abs will come over time with healthy eating and time pushing weight.
I know you said no creatine, but I have virtually no upper body at this point. I could always back down a bit if it was working too much. I've done a little reading and come across this. Would this be a good "starter kit"?
N'Gorge, BCAA Pro, and EvoPro.
mustang_marc is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
I know you said no creatine, but I have virtually no upper body at this point. I could always back down a bit if it was working too much. I've done a little reading and come across this. Would this be a good "starter kit"?
N'Gorge, BCAA Pro, and EvoPro.
Yes, however EvoPro is over priced. I'd look into Syntha-6 or ON Whey. I should have that N-Gorge cheaper than anywhere.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Yes, however EvoPro is over priced. I'd look into Syntha-6 or ON Whey. I should have that N-Gorge cheaper than anywhere.
Damnit I just bought some EvoPro.
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
Damnit I just bought some EvoPro.
Yeah, but not at a bad price really. I only made $1.13 on that jug. haha

There's just much cheaper protein out there...

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Yeah, but not at a bad price really. I only made $1.13 on that jug. haha

There's just much cheaper protein out there...
Why sell if youre making so little, Greg? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
Why sell if youre making so little, Greg? Just curious.
I beat or compete with almost every site for the Quanity of sales...
btw PlasmaJet is only 33.99 right now!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Nobody
 
SuperWho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Castle Grayskull
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
I beat or compete with almost every site for the Quanity of sales...
btw PlasmaJet is only 33.99 right now!
that's no lie, your prices are a lot better than most everybody.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
SuperWho? is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome