Straps and other lifting aids... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Straps and other lifting aids...

Anybody here use straps regularly? I know a lot of guys swear by not using them, but I just get so much more out of my shrugs/deadlifts/pull ups by using them. Any other lifting aides that really make a difference for you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Hired Hand

I didn't start using straps until I was lifting heavy enough to need them for grip. Your forearms will adapt as quick as your muscles get stronger in the beginning, unless you're juicing.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I just know I wouldn't be able to rep 100+ lb dumb bells without them for very long, though I guess I've never really tried using chalk either as it's usually not allowed anymore...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
I just know I wouldn't be able to rep 100+ lb dumb bells without them for very long, though I guess I've never really tried using chalk either as it's usually not allowed anymore...
Assuming that you're talking about rows, 100's aren't super heavy, but if your forearms are failing before your back, then straps may be needed. If you're talking about presses, I personally don't use chalk or wraps, and have never had an issue with grip.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Assuming that you're talking about rows, 100's aren't super heavy, but if your forearms are failing before your back, then straps may be needed. If you're talking about presses, I personally don't use chalk or wraps, and have never had an issue with grip.

Love me some straps.
I just laugh when people make the small forearm comments regarding straps...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

No, I was talking about my shrugs. I get the best pump using dumbbells rather than a barbell or smith machine for shrugs. I usually end up stopping at the 120s or 130s cause the two gyms I go to don't have anything heavier, but that's just about my stopping point right now anyways, usually try for 10-15 reps on shrugs.

As for rows, I usually mix it up pretty well, but now that I think about it, I rarely do DB rows. Maybe I should get on that. I never use straps except with pulling motions, so on presses or anything, I just use my gloves.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
No, I was talking about my shrugs. I get the best pump using dumbbells rather than a barbell or smith machine for shrugs. I usually end up stopping at the 120s or 130s cause the two gyms I go to don't have anything heavier, but that's just about my stopping point right now anyways, usually try for 10-15 reps on shrugs.

As for rows, I usually mix it up pretty well, but now that I think about it, I rarely do DB rows. Maybe I should get on that. I never use straps except with pulling motions, so on presses or anything, I just use my gloves.
Like was said, that's a decent enough weight to possibly begin to need straps, especially if you are getting up there in reps. If you're content with the size and strength of your forearms, strap up. No need to hold other bodyparts up with lagging forearms.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Like was said, that's a decent enough weight to possibly begin to need straps, especially if you are getting up there in reps. If you're content with the size and strength of your forearms, strap up. No need to hold other bodyparts up with lagging forearms.
Well that's the thing is that I'm not quite content with their size and strength, moreso just the strength. Though I would like big forearms, I would rather have strong forearms, but they aren't very strong at that. But to me, it seems that I should do forearm exercises if I want strong forearms, not tell myself that I should quit using straps on exercises that I get a good benefit from. Is my logic backwards on this? To be honest, for my frame and size, my forearms are just fine. It's when I get really heavy that I begin to use them...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Well that's the thing is that I'm not quite content with their size and strength, moreso just the strength. Though I would like big forearms, I would rather have strong forearms, but they aren't very strong at that. But to me, it seems that I should do forearm exercises if I want strong forearms, not tell myself that I should quit using straps on exercises that I get a good benefit from. Is my logic backwards on this? To be honest, for my frame and size, my forearms are just fine. It's when I get really heavy that I begin to use them...
In your case I'd suggest doing your heavy lifting with straps, and then follow up with a couple good forearm exercises to finishe them off.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Anybody here use straps regularly? I know a lot of guys swear by not using them, but I just get so much more out of my shrugs/deadlifts/pull ups by using them. Any other lifting aides that really make a difference for you guys?
Shrugs and deadlift I would use straps, pull ups I don't unless I'm strapping a dumbell for added wieght, but my gym doesn't have the belt to do that with.
I was thinkiing of buying one.
Oh I'll also use them for seated rows and pullups if I have to use the crappy pull up bar that rips your hands to shreds. lol

When seconds count, police are only minutes away!

Dying for me was the most He could do, living for Him is the least I can do.

CSBA #600
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Nope, hate them. I do use wrist wraps though.

and chalk of course!!!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Time Served

Always use straps for deadlifts, many back (pulling) excercises, shrugs, and I even use them for bicep curls.

I use wrist wraps for my pressing excercises (Flat/Incline Bench, Military Press). I've noticed alot less wrist pain in the days that follow those workouts.

I could care less what people think, so long as I get stronger. The funny thing about it all is when you notice others starting to follow suit after you.

2001 Supercharged GT (SOLD)
1988 Clean GT (SOLD)
2003 Flamed R6 (SOLD)
1995 Nissan 200 SX (SOLD)
2001 Tahoe
1995 Cobra
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal96 View Post
Always use straps for deadlifts, many back (pulling) excercises, shrugs, and I even use them for bicep curls.

I use wrist wraps for my pressing excercises (Flat/Incline Bench, Military Press). I've noticed alot less wrist pain in the days that follow those workouts.

I could care less what people think, so long as I get stronger. The funny thing about it all is when you notice others starting to follow suit after you.
To be honest, I've never heard of people wrapping their wrists with anything other but straps. After thinking about it, the concept makes sense, though mainly for very heavy lifting. Which means, regardless of what I previously thought, I guess I haven't gotten to the heavy weights yet
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
Nope, hate them. I do use wrist wraps though.

and chalk of course!!!
x2
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Which means, regardless of what I previously thought, I guess I haven't gotten to the heavy weights yet
If it makes you feel better, I hit the gym last night to do back for the first time in a couple months, and to help buld my forearms back up I didn't bring my straps. I almost couldn't finish my sets of 12 reps of 100 freaking pound lat pull downs. Muslce atrophy FTL.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I hit the gym last night to do back for the first time in a couple months, and to help buld my forearms back up I didn't bring my straps. I almost couldn't finish my sets of 12 reps of 100 freaking pound lat pull downs. Muslce atrophy FTL.
I hate that! I noticed that same thing happen when I went strapless on my pull ups after about a month using them. Definitely shot any confidence I had in thinking I could do sets of 10+ pull ups at a time...
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
That sucks.
Gotta start back somewhere though.
You will get it all back soon enough.
Muscle Memory FTW!!!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Worship me

I've been contemplating getting some. That's because I will work my lower and upper back in the same workout. I save the shrugs until last and my grip is totally going away after all those sets. A lot of the time I'll do dumbell curls with dumbell shrugs throw in between sets and my damn forearms stop working, my grip starts to open up on the shrugs.

Maybe I need to get some of those damn grip working toys that someone posted a while back.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I've been contemplating getting some. That's because I will work my lower and upper back in the same workout. I save the shrugs until last and my grip is totally going away after all those sets. A lot of the time I'll do dumbell curls with dumbell shrugs throw in between sets and my damn forearms stop working, my grip starts to open up on the shrugs.

Maybe I need to get some of those damn grip working toys that someone posted a while back.
Get some straps, your traps will thank you. Your poundages will go up immediately once you aren't concentrating on keeping your grip closed. Shrugs are the one exercise that I've used straps the longest, I found myself able to go much heavier with them, and not sacrifice form.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
That sucks.
Gotta start back somewhere though.
You will get it all back soon enough.
Muscle Memory FTW!!!
I can tell you, lifting less than half your usual workout weigh is definitely a blow to the ego. I'm in no hurry to get it back though, heling my leg is my priority at the moment.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Lifer

Maybe you should stop smoking, Aaron....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
Maybe you should stop smoking, Aaron....
lol That's not even a concern, I'm not a "smoker", and am pretty much through with that phase. I'm thinking that being out of the gym for 6 months, and the atrophy associated with healing broken bones are to blame.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Worship me

I just changed my routine over the weekend, shrugs first. I could do a lot more. Forearms are sore as shit today though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement