Cardio ? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cardio ?

What burns more calories? Running or Riding a Bike?

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I Я Invizabul

tag for info cause im a fatty
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Nobody

Well, it's more a matter of which one you can spend more time doing. If you can spend 45 minutes jogging or running, but know that you can only stand to be on a bike for 30 minutes, then running would be better. Or vice versa. Is this in a gym on equipment, or actually running or riding a bike.
This page has all the info you need.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
MFFL!

I forget the source now, but read within the last 2 months that mountain biking is the #1 exercise for burning calories. And I don't know how accurate Polar HR monitors are, but I did a 6 hour race a couple weekends ago and it showed that I burned over 4K calories in just a little over 4 hours of riding.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
I forget the source now, but read within the last 2 months that mountain biking is the #1 exercise for burning calories. And I don't know how accurate Polar HR monitors are, but I did a 6 hour race a couple weekends ago and it showed that I burned over 4K calories in just a little over 4 hours of riding.
That is some sick work man. I would bet that swimming is also very good for calorie burning, though it'd be hard to swim 4 hours.

I would assume that running (treadmill) is probably going to burn more calories than riding a bike (stationary) but it all depends on the setting and variables and whatnot...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Time Served

IMO I would go with biking to start with, easier on the knees and joints. Then maybe start running. I know my brother started biking and running and man he's cut and in awsome shape.
I just started biking at the gym and already notice more defination in all around. I like biking at the gym cause you can get your heart rate up and stay at a steady pace for awhile.
I heard jumping rope actually burns twice as much calories, can't remember if it was twice as much as biking or running.

When seconds count, police are only minutes away!

Dying for me was the most He could do, living for Him is the least I can do.

CSBA #600
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up

I run alot, I did half the white rock marathon on the 14th of december....I can run 4 miles, 5miles, 6 miles.... whatever at a normal 9 minute mile pace and be fine.

But If I get on my mountain bike and hit up Grapvine lake or arbor hills, I am DEAD for the rest of the day afterwards. Mountain biking is pure intervals, and I would agree that it is the BEST workout I have ever had. I try to go once a week starting around this time of year and up that to 2-3 times when it starts staying light out longer.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
That is some sick work man. I would bet that swimming is also very good for calorie burning, though it'd be hard to swim 4 hours.
You ain't lying. To date, that's the hardest thing physically I've ever done (only my 3rd race and first endurance race). It was a race, so I was pedaling hard and my HR was a constant 165-180 during the time I was on the bike. Most people who are just biking won't keep their HR at that level, so their MMV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Speaking of MTB i need to get my sproket/peddle fixed. I broke it in the fall last year. Erwin park is one of my favs.

http://banamex.mybrute.com

01 silver lightning
FOR SALE
* Lightning supercharger set up.*$800
-supercharger, intake manifold, intercooler, fuel rails, and 7 42lb injectors. plus misc.. parts
*4.6/5.4 Cobra water pump $60
*4R100 with 36k miles $800
Turbo 5.4 is a thief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement