Eat before or after? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

Eat before or after?

is it better to eat before or after a workout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Rookie

I eat after.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Nobody

Yes.

Seriously, both. But you can substitute with shakes. I eat some oatmeal and a bunch of egg whites, or egg beaters about an hour before, then I eat a MRP bar soon after, something with a lot of protein and some sugar. Of course don't forget your pre and post workout shakes>

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
CEO of......

thanks guys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Commercial Flooring Guy

If you wanna cheat... Its best to do right after a workout..

I get the Tri-0-PLEX bars, banana walnut mmmmmm...
bars that have like 46 grms of carbs and it seriously helps me
get through a tough workout.. I eat one about an hour before..
I feel its important to eat plenty well before a workout.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
If you wanna cheat... Its best to do right after a workout..

I get the Tri-0-PLEX bars, banana walnut mmmmmm...
bars that have like 46 grms of carbs and it seriously helps me
get through a tough workout.. I eat one about an hour before..
I feel its important to eat plenty well before a workout.
I'll second this. Eating a small, light, but carb-rich meal at least 30 minutes before a workout is a good idea. It gives your body fuel to make a sufficient amount of glycogen for your workout while not making you feel full and sluggish. If I eat before a workout it'll usually be a PBJ sandwich and small glass of milk or juice. And some roids, can't forget the roids...

As for after the workout, though some people like to eat big meals right afterwards, it's probably best to save the meal for later. Since you just killed your muscles in the gym, and probably have a good pump going on cause of all the blood you just forced in there, it doesn't make sense to eat a gigantic meal which demands a significant amount of blood rerouted to the stomach and intestinal wall in order to carry the nutrients away. It would be much better to down a small protein drink right after because such a small amount of food doesn't demand a whole lot of blood to carry those nutrients off.

This is a subject that my exercise physiology professor always harped on, because the muscles and the stomach are always vying for more blood. Think about it, whenever you exercise, the muscles almost always win the battle for blood. That's why you seldom have to use the bathroom during intense exercise, because much of your blood is being used to fuel your muscles, therefore many other things take a back seat (bladder, stomach, intestines). And also why your mother told you to wait 30 minutes before getting into the pool after eating a meal, because when you eat, your gut requests a whole lot of blood to carry the digested nutrients away which leaves the muscles with less blood than normal. So if you get into the pool (or do any sort of exercise) with a bunch of food in your stomach, it often times leaves the food sitting in your stomach, digesting very slowly, making your stomach upset.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Kill u w kindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
And some roids, can't forget the roids...

LOL I needed a laugh this morning

great post

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Time Served

never train on an empty stomach!!!

before training eat something that will not spike your insulin! ( a spike in insulin means your body holds on to fat and you want to burn while you work out! plus your energy will slow during you workout if insulin is boosted!) plus a protien shake (whey)

after training eat something high in protien along with something to spike your insulin to excellerate and boost the muscle building! plus a protien shake (30g whey and 30 g casein)

before training i eat some oats along whith my shake and directly after i drink a gatoraid (to spike insulin levels) and eat a chicken breast along with my
30g-30g shake

method will work great if you want to build muscle or lose fat!!! promise

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdbryan21 View Post
never train on an empty stomach!!!

before training eat something that will not spike your insulin! ( a spike in insulin means your body holds on to fat and you want to burn while you work out! plus your energy will slow during you workout if insulin is boosted!) plus a protien shake (whey)

after training eat something high in protien along with something to spike your insulin to excellerate and boost the muscle building! plus a protien shake (30g whey and 30 g casein)

before training i eat some oats along whith my shake and directly after i drink a gatoraid (to spike insulin levels) and eat a chicken breast along with my
30g-30g shake

method will work great if you want to build muscle or lose fat!!! promise
I agree with this, though I'd take the fat burning comment with a grain of salt. Research shows that depending on the type of workout, you may be using different types of fuels, so burning fat may not even be an option. For example, lifting moderate to heavy weights for moderate to low reps triggers the body to use creatine phosphate as its primary source of fuel. CP is useful for about 30 seconds worth of exercise at a time, after which fats then carbs come into play as a fuel source. For the typical weightlifter, CP is their main source, whereas any kind of long duration exercise will burn fats and carbs depending on the intensity and duration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement