Shoulder injury and questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Shoulder injury and questions

I was going to post this in the other shoulder thread but didn't want to hijack it.

I somehow severely jacked my right shoulder on Thanksgiving. Well at least I think it's my shoulder. It could also be the insertion of my right biceps, but not confident in that given the circumstances of the injury. Basically, I hurt it while leaning over (standing) at a computer desk, using my right arm to support my weight on the desk surface and simultaneously using the mouse. I was checking my fantasy football stats. I suddenly felt a sharp pain about halfway down my deltoid, sort of located where the anterior and medial brush up against each other. I'd never experienced so much pain from doing so little. The pain only increased as I tried my best to gently massage and move my shoulder. I felt intense pain during shoulder flexion and horizontal adduction/abduction. The intense pain lasted only a day or two, and quickly became more and more dull.

After a couple weeks off from shoulder lifting, I decided to give it a try, going very light weight after warming up with a stretch band. Shoulder responded well, though I would feel a slight pain on shoulder press at the very end of the movement (when my forearms/upper arms were at about a 90 degree angle. I usually go down to the top of my chest with the bar/dumbbells, but decided not to make the exercise any riskier). I also felt a strange, almost warm numbing, tingling sensation during bench press. After the first workout, the shoulder felt fine, and I considered the possibility that maybe it was just a muscle strain or slight tear. However, the feeling is still there, my shoulder press and bench press has weakened dramatically. I actually lifted shoulders today, and even went so far as to do some Arnold presses with about 40 lb DBs and the shoulder felt absolutely fine, I got a good pump and everything which is rare for me on shoulder day.

Anyways, does anybody have any idea what this might be? I thought maybe there was an off chance of biceps tendinitis, or something related to bicep tendon origin, but have no idea. I haven't been to the doctor, but my buddy with shoulder pain got some anti inflammatory stuff that helped him, wondering if I should go the same route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Nobody

I had something very similar happen, it's a pain about halfway from the peak of your bicep to your shoulder joint, that only hurts when you lift upwards with your arm at a 90 degree angle, like doing presses. I just stuck to lateral raises and some machine work and went kinda light for a few weeks, been fine since, still don't know what happened, but it wasn't a rotator, I have dealt with that before. I have full mobility again.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
I had something very similar happen, it's a pain about halfway from the peak of your bicep to your shoulder joint, that only hurts when you lift upwards with your arm at a 90 degree angle, like doing presses. I just stuck to lateral raises and some machine work and went kinda light for a few weeks, been fine since, still don't know what happened, but it wasn't a rotator, I have dealt with that before. I have full mobility again.
Yeah, that sounds about right, cause sometimes the pain will extend downward a little bit. Maybe I'll try skipping shoulder press for a month or so and see what happens.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKart View Post
Yeah, that sounds about right, cause sometimes the pain will extend downward a little bit. Maybe I'll try skipping shoulder press for a month or so and see what happens.
Yeah, that sounds like it. It was my left shoulder, and I even had to stop putting my left arm on top of my steering wheel, or it would bother me. Damn 92 lx and no tilt steering.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement