Muscle Milk + Routine? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Muscle Milk + Routine?

Anyone used Muscle Milk? Is it good or bad? I have been working out for the past three months and my body has gotten lean but I haven't bulked up any. So i figured this might help if i try it?

Routine- Work out everyday during lunch for an hour. At night i normally go swim for about 30ish min. But as do more i'll be able to swim more and i'll start swimming longer. The guy at GNC said that if i swim it will fight against the muscle milk and i won't notice any diff if i use it.

I'm looking to bulk up and gain overall strength.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Time Served

Gaining weight is simply a matter of a positive caloric balance. Basically, if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. As far as what kind of weight you will put on, this all depends on what you're eating. I'm currently in your same boat, trying to put on weight by the summer, so I'm eating huge meals, and downing weight gainer supplements post-workout and right before bed.

Muscle milk is a great protein supplement, but isn't the magic potion to help you gain weight. What would be best is to take the muscle milk along with a diet that is probably around 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% fat. If you're not used to reading food labels, I would start. Make sure you're eating as much natural, "good for you" kind of stuff, like chicken breast as opposed to lunch meat, or whole wheat bread as opposed to white bread. Milk and eggs are the gold standard of protein, mainly because almost every gram is ingested into the body and used for protein synthesis. I drink milk like water, and have eggs every morning.

As far as exercising goes, what does your normal weight lifting routine look like? What kinds of sets/reps/exercises etc?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Time Served

Here's another product made by the same guys that do Muscle Milk:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/gainer.html

This is geared more towards weight gain, and you can see by simply comparing the calories per serving with your muscle milk. The good thing about this weight gainer is that it is high in protein and carbs while very low on saturated fats and simple sugars. Definitely worth a look in the future.

Here's a weight gainer I've had success with, and still use:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/gainer.html

Once again, high protein and carbs, low sat. fats and low sugar. The good thing about this one is that it provides all the essential amino acids so you can take it as a standalone supplement and be sure that it's being used for muscle building and repair.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

My diet normally consist of 4 Boiled Egg whites in the morning with a small turkey sandwich at around 7:30am. Around 10AM i normally eat another small sandwich but i've been thinking of drinking the muscle milk there rather than eating a sandwich because of the bread. And since Jan. I've changed my bread from white to wheat. After my lunch workout i eat a 6in subway sandwich. Then i'll drink the muscle milk an hour after my workout. when i get home around 5 i'll eat some fruit and grilled chicken. And at night i'll eat the same thing fruit and chicken. I stopped drinking sodas and anything with any real sugar in it. And i mostly drink water all day. My workout during lunch changes from day to day. I haven't really kept a day to day workout. I only have an hour so i try to get in as much as i can. Some weeks light some heavy. Light weeks more reps less weight. Heavy more weight less reps. And every night swimming laps. I don't really rest in between sets and station changes at the gym as i don't have any time to. But the next workout doesn't involve the previous workout muscles to make my next set that much harder if that makes sense? That cyto gainer is what i was gonna buy but i opted for the muscle milk as the guy at GNC said it was a little better than the cyto gainer?

Anything wrong with what i'm eating? Or should i change it up?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Time Served

Food quality looks good. What I would try to do is count up your calories for the average day, and maybe look to keep them around 3000-3500 initially, then maybe increase as time goes on. Try to take your muscle milk immediately after your workout, and again right before you go to bed. This will sometimes mean getting up to pee in the middle of the night, so hopefully that doesn't bother you too much.

As far as your workouts, what I would do is maybe instead of switching up each workout going heavy and then light next time, try to devote an entire 2 weeks or a month of only heavy lifting. Try to aim for no more than 10 reps max, and maybe incorporate drop sets to intensify if necessary. For example, if you were lifting dumb bell bench press, and you do a set of 8 reps, drop the dumb bells and pick up a pair that's maybe 10-15 lbs lighter and rep them until you can't anymore. This will really give you a huge pump and will activate as much muscle fiber as possible. And you will definitely feel it the next day.

If your diet is sound and your workouts are progressing well and you still don't gain any weight after a few weeks, then you know it's time to up the calories. More chicken, two more eggs for breakfast, maybe add another muscle milk shake during your day.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'm gonna try my normal diet adding Muscle Milk to it and seeing what changes i see. I already do some of the lifting your talking about during heavy weeks but i'm gonna try to do two weeks of heavy lifting while doing what you said. If i see results i'll probably up my calories and add another shake.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Time Served

GSXR dont forget about your fats. A great way to add those surplus calories you need. I usually shoot for .5 g of (mono/polysaturated) per lb of lean body mass. Peanut butter is your friend! (Olive oil, avocados, certain fish). How is your postworkout nutrition, I notice you said you do a Muscle milk an hour post workout, but you probably could squeeze in some protein/simple carb immediately after workout and then still dominate food/shake an hour later.

2001 Supercharged GT (SOLD)
1988 Clean GT (SOLD)
2003 Flamed R6 (SOLD)
1995 Nissan 200 SX (SOLD)
2001 Tahoe
1995 Cobra
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal96 View Post
GSXR dont forget about your fats. A great way to add those surplus calories you need. I usually shoot for .5 g of (mono/polysaturated) per lb of lean body mass. Peanut butter is your friend! (Olive oil, avocados, certain fish). How is your postworkout nutrition, I notice you said you do a Muscle milk an hour post workout, but you probably could squeeze in some protein/simple carb immediately after workout and then still dominate food/shake an hour later.
Like what for example? I'm willing to try anything and open to suggestions. I mean right after my workout since it is during lunch i usually just go straight to subway get a quick sandwich eat it then right back to work. But if something will help/work i'll try it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement