Bike guys - critique this plan (first century) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Bike guys - critique this plan (first century)

I started riding ~6 months ago. I had no specific plans... just rode for fun. My longest ride last summer was 50 miles (in 102* heat).
About 3 months ago I had knee surgery. I've been back on the bike for a few weeks doing mostly light rides trying to build up the strength in my leg/knee. In my few weeks back I've been tentative and very careful not to overdo it.

My goal is to ride a solo century by July 4.

I've come up w/ the 25 week schedule below. At least 4 rides per week with the long ride being ~50% of the weekly total. Shorter rides will be varying intensity, and the long ride will increase 8% per week with a few recovery weeks thrown in.

Opinions?

Also, the HH100 is at the end of August. Assuming the first part of my goal goes well, what's the best way to "fill in the blank" for the 7 weeks between July 4 and Aug 29?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 01-08-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM
wishin i had a fast car

During the summertime we rode 45(5 hours) miles around oklahoma and texas and it was pretty tough. i couldnt imagine riding 100 miles, but it would be easier if we werent riding mountain bikes. i would love riding a good road bike and see how well i would like it. good luck with your training, i can bet after the surgery it will be really tough. i had shoulder surgery about 14 months ago and it just seems like in the last 2 months i can really use my shoulder about 90%.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Lifer

Don't be a pussy. Party it up the night before, eat some beef jerky during the century and fuck all that practicing. It's a bicycle, how tough can it be?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
mannish boy

SNAP INTO IT!

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
SNAP INTO IT!

I'm jealous of how awesomely macho that guy is.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
Don't be a pussy. Party it up the night before, eat some beef jerky during the century and fuck all that practicing. It's a bicycle, how tough can it be?
You know... sometimes I just can't tell if you're joking or being serious.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 01-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Racist....that means you!

I rode my bike for about 150 miles one day last year...............had to get gas twice..............maybe 3 times
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
You know... sometimes I just can't tell if you're joking or being serious.
Well I was exaggerating a bit, but I think you're making a bigger deal about it than it needs to be. Just go ride. Do you have a time goal in mind?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Do you have a time goal in mind?
Anything less than 6... closer to 5 would be awesome.

Quote:
but I think you're making a bigger deal about it than it needs to be.
This is what I'm looking for. It's a distance I've never done, so I really don't know what it takes to get there. But just so I can quantify some of the replies... have you done it?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Anything less than 6... closer to 5 would be awesome.

This is what I'm looking for. It's a distance I've never done, so I really don't know what it takes to get there. But just so I can quantify some of the replies... have you done it?
Nope, honestly I never have. I've done 40 miles offroad in a day, I've done 50 miles on a 28lb bike with commuter tires, and I've ridden for 4 hours a day, day in and day out all summer.

If you're in shape, I don't think it'll be a problem. Go do some hills when you want to do some hills. Do some speed days, do a couple of 75 milers if you can find a good riding buddy or two.

I can put you in touch with some of my roadie buddies, but i wouldn't worry too much. Just ride your ass off because it's fun.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Lifer

I'm not Bicycling Magazine, but I'll throw my .02 in.

1) If you don't take breaks in there somewhere, you will burn out before the HTH. I know you mentioned it, though. I like to mirror my cycling breaks with my gym breaks. Every 6-8 weeks, at least 1 week off. You need to recover.

2) The last few weeks, you have already worked enough to accomplish the HTH. You don't need to ride such long rides all the way up to the event. Not to mention you have no variety (i.e. it just gets longer every week). I would incorporate some short sprints in there toward the end and maybe some mtb rides along the way (do you have a mountain as well?)

3) Do you have a training partner or group? Doing the above alone will be a bitch. Riding with others not only pushes you to train consistently, the variety will help you grow and get stronger.

Oh yeah, hit a brother up! My Cannondale is aching to log some miles.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Lifer

If you're looking for a dirt riding partner, shout at me.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Not to hijack his thread, but I'm always up for a ride. I've got one for both types of terrain....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joezgarage View Post
Not to hijack his thread, but I'm always up for a ride. I've got one for both types of terrain....
Give me a little more time to get my knee used to it again and then we can definitely get something together.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Lifer

Training for a "century" is not like training for a marathon. Because of the low impact of cycling, you can train at a faster rate because your recovery time is almost over night. I did one two-day "double century" from Austin to Dallas, and I felt better the second day. Go figure... It's been a while (early '90's), but we rode 250-300 miles a week to train for a "fast" century. To me, fast was in the 4:30 area. HHH is not a good ride to try to set a speed record on. It's way too unpredictable, and there were years we rode it in 105* with 8000+ people. The "Waco Wild West" century was a good one, and Waxahachie had a "Tour d' Flowers" that was pretty good, too.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Training for a "century" is not like training for a marathon. Because of the low impact of cycling, you can train at a faster rate because your recovery time is almost over night.
LOL. After some searching and reading more I can see that I was way off. It seems you're definitley right. I have found 8, 10 and 12 week schedules.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
LOL. After some searching and reading more I can see that I was way off. It seems you're definitley right. I have found 8, 10 and 12 week schedules.
For an example, I started riding in my mid-20's, and after riding for four weeks (several days a week), I did 4 hour 100k (62 miles). After that, it was all downhill (pun intended). As soon as I finished, I was looking for that first "century ride".

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezgarage View Post
I'm always up for a ride as well. Mostly offroad, but I'll take my mtn bike on road from time to time. I'm trying to get a little conditioning in before the Ouachita Challenge (60mi) in April.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Lifer

Somewhat old thread and even more off-topic:

Is there a certain bike you guys would recommend for a beginner, road bike that is.

I just got my Wife a Trek 1.2 (women's design) and would like to get something comparable. A group of girls in her PA Program ride once a week - and it would give me something to do when I go visit her in the Armpit of TX (Midland/Odessa).

Any advice is appreciated. FWIW, I have never been on a road bike outside - but do quite a bit of stationary in the gym.

SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
Somewhat old thread and even more off-topic:

Is there a certain bike you guys would recommend for a beginner, road bike that is.

I just got my Wife a Trek 1.2 (women's design) and would like to get something comparable. A group of girls in her PA Program ride once a week - and it would give me something to do when I go visit her in the Armpit of TX (Midland/Odessa).

Any advice is appreciated. FWIW, I have never been on a road bike outside - but do quite a bit of stationary in the gym.

SQ
I 2nd this question, whats a good beginner bike?
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Lifer

pretty much all the bikes under 1,000 are going to be about the same. trek makes some really good entry level bikes, as do other company. If I was to buy a first bike again I would go used and get a lower line Carbon bike. Fit is one of the more important issues with a road bike, make sure it fits good and the bike store is willing to fit you on a bike.

02-z28
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Lifer

I was 'fitted' when my Wife and I picked hers out. 54cm seemed about right.

I looked at the Trek 1.2 (men's version) and the Fisher that was comparable. They were both AL alloy frame with carbon forks. They did have mid level components compared to some comparable brands who had lower level components in this price range.

Bikeworld in S.A. has a deal going right now for a Trek 1.2 with a helmet, water bottle and holder, computer, gloves, shorts, seat-bag, pump, tire repair kit, and multi tool for $979.00

The bike is listed at $849 I believe. The accessories are listed at almost $400. I know they have a ton of markup in the goodies, but it seems like a fair package. I just don't know much about the bikes so I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

I was looking at used ones on Craigslist but most low-end Carbon bikes are still $700-1200+

Maybe my parents still have my Dyno VFR in their garage?

SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Lifer

Never pay over list. Most of that stuff they are throwing in, they do not pay for anyways. My last bike was bought under list price, and included with it was a nice computer, clip less pedals, and a few other small goodies.

02-z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement