only have 1 hour to work out. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

only have 1 hour to work out.

If I’m going to be realistic about making a lifestyle change, I’ve got to set long term goals. That being said. It’s not realistic for me to wake up at 5am everyday to work out before work. I don’t get home till 6-7, have to help with dinner, spend time w/ the old lady, home work with the kid, etc. When that’s all said and done, its bed time at 10.

Sooooo… I’ve been working downtown and there’s a 24hr fitness a block from me. I’ve joined and have been going during lunch. Easy, convenient, and best of all is realistic!

I’ve been doing 45 min’s of cardio (only on my 2nd week). I do 30 min’s on the elliptical focusing on my quads and gluts. Then get a drink of water, come back and do another 15 focusing on my hams and calfs.

This is just for start up as I haven’t worked regularly in 2 years. I know i need to throw in weight training into the mix. My goal is maximum weight loss.

Does anyone have any proven work out programs that I can do in 1 hr that will help maximize my effort? Supplements to take? Etc?

I don’t want to bulk up at all, just want to CUT THE FAT!!

This is a good read, any input on teh article?

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0012281eac____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-less Chris
i got 20 says you car wont run in this year..now go run along and play on ls1tech..
Quote:
damn it son..i only had a few more days..sunnmamabitchin asshat! alight jaypee ill meet ya and pay ya your 20..fuckstick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Nobody

I think you can personally accomplish a lot in an hour, if you only focus on one bod ypart. However that requires more training days. I think you can be successful with 35 minutes working out 1 body part and then following up with 25-30 minutes of HIIT cardio. I have seen my best results doing HIIT cardio, and it beats the hell out of spending 45 minutes to an hour doing regular cardio. I spend more like an hour or so working out and then 30 minutes of HIIT.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

edit,

never mind googled it.

what are some good intervals? 2 mins?

Quote:
i got 20 says you car wont run in this year..now go run along and play on ls1tech..
Quote:
damn it son..i only had a few more days..sunnmamabitchin asshat! alight jaypee ill meet ya and pay ya your 20..fuckstick!

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINKRD View Post
edit,

never mind googled it.

In Flex they recommend a 3 minute warm up, 30 sec run, 60 second walk rotation and then 3 minutes cool down for a 25 minute session. I change it up, if I feel like running full blast for a minute, I just walk for 2, I'm not an expert, but I think the formula is walk for double what you run. You keep burning calories as though you were running the whole time.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
In Flex they recommend a 3 minute warm up, 30 sec run, 60 second walk rotation and then 3 minutes cool down for a 25 minute session. I change it up, if I feel like running full blast for a minute, I just walk for 2, I'm not an expert, but I think the formula is walk for double what you run. You keep burning calories as though you were running the whole time.

i've got a bum ankle (dislocated, tore all the ligaments, broken leg, etc)

i can barely jog now let alone sprint.

i'm thinking the stationary bicycle is going to be my best bet.

Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Soudns like you got the motivation and Cardio in there now to go with it. Get your diet in check and keep up with the cardio as much as you can. Once you are burning all those calories from cardio and intaking less from food and liquids, weight will start to fall off.

I lost 20lbs in 10 weeks last year doing cardio 5 days a week and eating better. Good work man, keep it up!

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Subscribing to read later

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post
Soudns like you got the motivation and Cardio in there now to go with it. Get your diet in check and keep up with the cardio as much as you can. Once you are burning all those calories from cardio and intaking less from food and liquids, weight will start to fall off.

I lost 20lbs in 10 weeks last year doing cardio 5 days a week and eating better. Good work man, keep it up!

Thanks! Iíve been getting my diet in check. Iíve been eating breakfast at 630am when I drive to work (low carb tortilla roll, turkey, cayenne pepper, mustard, halfslice of cheese) then a snack at 1030am (been doing pineapple) lunch at 1230 after my work out (wheat bread, turkey, half slice cheese) then another snack at 3:30ish. Dinner at 7ish.

Iím going to try a HIIT routine tomorrow on the precor. 20 hieght setting 15 resistance, fast as possible for 2minís. 2 min recovery. Iíll try that for 20 minís and see how I feel.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

article i just read on HIIT

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...tness_tip.html

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Nobody

Good luck man, I hope it doesn't screw you up. The key, I think, is to run as fast as you can during the high intensity sections, but you could go a little slower and extend the whole session a little and probably get the same results. Hope it works out for you. I used to spend an hour on the treadmill/elliptical/bike and I hated it. I am seeing better results for the past year or so I have been doing HIIT.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Hired Hand

Being that you only have an hour, I'd suggest focusing on that cardio until you've acheived your weight loss target. During that time tailor your diet towards that goal, and the fat will melt off. Once you've sufficiently leaned up, then you can up your calorie intake, and spend that hour doing HIIT to stay lean and harden up, or do a basic split routine with heavier weights to bulk up a little.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Being that you only have an hour, I'd suggest focusing on that cardio until you've acheived your weight loss target. During that time tailor your diet towards that goal, and the fat will melt off. Once you've sufficiently leaned up, then you can up your calorie intake, and spend that hour doing HIIT to stay lean and harden up, or do a basic split routine with heavier weights to bulk up a little.
Best advice I've seen yet. You are gonna dominate the transformation contest if you enter.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Best advice I've seen yet. You are gonna dominate the transformation contest if you enter.
I co-judged last year's contest, and as a show of support/motivation, I cut about 25lbs myself. We've got some pretty motivated people entering so I'm no shoe-in, but I've definitely got more experience and knowlege than most. If it weren't for my damn leg, I wouldn't have much room for change.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Nobody

Quote:
I co-judged last year's contest, and as a show of support/motivation, I cut about 25lbs myself. We've got some pretty motivated people entering so I'm no shoe-in, but I've definitely got more experience and knowlege than most. If it weren't for my damn leg, I wouldn't have much room for change.
I kinda know what you mean, my shoulder held me back through most of 2007, no where near as bad as your leg, but a fucked up shoulder eliminates a lot of movements. It took all of 2008 just to get back to a level I'm happy with. i'm going for broke in 09, but all natural this year.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
WTF is Zed?

High intensity, total body workouts. I guarantee you'll be dead in 20 minutes or less. Check out http://crossfit.com/
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

what about HIIT cardio to cut the fat?

Quote:
Quote:
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
i'm going for broke in 09, but all natural this year.
I'm not even gonna take protein shakes until my leg is 100%. At this point my main goal is to get my body healthy, weight and reps aren't a concern. Once I get to that point I'll see if my joints have any heavy lifting left in them.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
what about HIIT cardio to cut the fat?
I've never tried it myself, I'm more of a slow and steady type, but I can definitely see how and why it works. Everybody is different, and you've gotta do what you need to stay motivated.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I've never tried it myself, I'm more of a slow and steady type, but I can definitely see how and why it works. Everybody is different, and you've gotta do what you need to stay motivated.

cool. thanks for the tips. i'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes. my problem w/ the regular longer cardio is my pace and heart rate always end up in the high 160's which puts me in teh cardivascular zone thus burning more carbs then fat. like you mentioned in my other thread.

i'll give the HIIT cardio a whirl and see how it works out

Quote:
Quote:
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
wishin i had a fast car

Keep doing as much cardio you can stand and remember for your meals
breakfast-eat like a king
lunch-eat like a prince
dinner-eat like a peasant
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
WTF is Zed?

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee earley View Post
Keep doing as much cardio you can stand and remember for your meals
breakfast-eat like a king
lunch-eat like a prince
dinner-eat like a peasant
When dieting I eat like a fortune 500 business owner, 6 relatively equal meals a day. The key to keeping the metabolic fire burning is a constant supply of fuel.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
edit,

never mind googled it.

I use 30 seconds balls out...30 seconds normal pace with less resistance to catch my breathe. do that cycle for 15 mins at first AFTER you do a warm up of 5 mins and then a 5 min cool down and you'll drop some weight for sure. As that starts getting easier, cut the resting down 10 seconds and add 5 on the burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Lifer

I suck at running, so when the stairmills are full.
I resort to the treadmill for 24 mins post workouts.

I do...
5 mins 3.0 pace, (warm up)
2 mins 4.0 pace
2 mins 6.0 pace
2 mins 8.0 pace
2 mins 3.0 pace, (cool down)
2 mins 4.0 pace
2 mins 6.0 pace
2 mins 8.0 pace
5 mins 3.0 pace, (cool down)

I try to do all of them with a pretty good incline on the machine.
It seems to work pretty well for me.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
I use 30 seconds balls out...30 seconds normal pace with less resistance to catch my breathe. do that cycle for 15 mins at first AFTER you do a warm up of 5 mins and then a 5 min cool down and you'll drop some weight for sure. As that starts getting easier, cut the resting down 10 seconds and add 5 on the burst.

going to start today during lunch.

going to attempt 15 min's.

Quote:
Quote:
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
cool. thanks for the tips. i'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes. my problem w/ the regular longer cardio is my pace and heart rate always end up in the high 160's which puts me in teh cardivascular zone thus burning more carbs then fat. like you mentioned in my other thread.

i'll give the HIIT cardio a whirl and see how it works out
You could lower the intensity some when it gets up there. Also since you just got back into it your Cardiovascular system will catch up and it will become less stressful some and maybe bring the heart rate down some.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
wishin i had a fast car

Quote:
When dieting I eat like a fortune 500 business owner, 6 relatively equal meals a day. The key to keeping the metabolic fire burning is a constant supply of fuel.
I agree 100% but most people dont make the time to do it the correct way.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Went and did my first HIIT today.

Short summary, I thought I was going to puke. Lol

I had gone in w/ the intentions of doing 1 full balls out minute, then 1 min cool down. NOPE! The first hit I was only able to go to about 45 seconds, then after that I just did 30 seconds full blown, 1 min cool down. Towards the end of the 15 min’s I had a hard time just finishing the 30 seconds’

I can still feel my legs burning 45 min’s later. Arms feel tingly too. This crap isn’t for the weak minded for sure. Going to keep it up though and see what kind of results come about. My turkey sandwhich was not enough for lunch. I’m going down to subway to get a turkey wrap or something .

Quote:
Quote:
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Nobody

Quote:

Towards the end of the 15 minís I had a hard time just finishing the 30 secondsí

I can still feel my legs burning 45 minís later.
That's how you know you're doing it right.

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:

Short summary, I thought I was going to puke. Lol

I had gone in w/ the intentions of doing 1 full balls out minute, then 1 min cool down. NOPE! The first hit I was only able to go to about 45 seconds, then after that I just did 30 seconds full blown, 1 min cool down. Towards the end of the 15 minís I had a hard time just finishing the 30 secondsí

I can still feel my legs burning 45 minís later. Arms feel tingly too. This crap isnít for the weak minded for sure. Going to keep it up though and see what kind of results come about. My turkey sandwhich was not enough for lunch. Iím going down to subway to get a turkey wrap or something .
LMAO...Thats my favorite feeling though. Your gonna wanna start spreading out your meals if they are 3 big ones a day into 6. I pick at good stuff all day pretty much. Just looking at my pics from the beginning of last year til now...I see what people see when they tell me I've gotten thicker. My back and arms are the parts that always respond fastest. Legs are right behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
LMAO...Thats my favorite feeling though. Your gonna wanna start spreading out your meals if they are 3 big ones a day into 6. I pick at good stuff all day pretty much. Just looking at my pics from the beginning of last year til now...I see what people see when they tell me I've gotten thicker. My back and arms are the parts that always respond fastest. Legs are right behind that.

well i just started spreading out my meals over 5 a day. started this week actually.

7am. consist of 1 or 2 low carb tortillas, slice of cheese, turkey meat, mustard and cayenne pepper.

then at 1030am i've had either some pineapple or a wheat bread turkey sandwhich, then i workout at 1130. at 1230 i eat another turkey sandwhich or roll. then again at 330 and dinner around 7ish.

i'm going to look into a good shake for my pre and post work out meal. i've been reading up that it should be like 65%carb 25% proteins. or something along that line. depends on body weight. i need to find a calculator or something. found a good shake. 1 scoop of whey protein, 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt, 1/2 cup apple juice and something else.

have to run some errands during lunch tomorrow so i'm waking up early and going to the gym before work

Quote:
Quote:
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
i've got a bum ankle (dislocated, tore all the ligaments, broken leg, etc)

i can barely jog now let alone sprint.

i'm thinking the stationary bicycle is going to be my best bet.
I'm in the same boat (same injury) and HATE the stationary bike. I'd rather deal with the pain on a treadmill than deal with my nuts going numb.

Get a nice brace and stock up on motrin.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
If Iím going to be realistic about making a lifestyle change, Iíve got to set long term goals. That being said. Itís not realistic for me to wake up at 5am everyday to work out before work. I donít get home till 6-7, have to help with dinner, spend time w/ the old lady, home work with the kid, etc. When thatís all said and done, its bed time at 10.

SoooooÖ Iíve been working downtown and thereís a 24hr fitness a block from me. Iíve joined and have been going during lunch. Easy, convenient, and best of all is realistic!

Iíve been doing 45 minís of cardio (only on my 2nd week). I do 30 minís on the elliptical focusing on my quads and gluts. Then get a drink of water, come back and do another 15 focusing on my hams and calfs.

This is just for start up as I havenít worked regularly in 2 years. I know i need to throw in weight training into the mix. My goal is maximum weight loss.

Does anyone have any proven work out programs that I can do in 1 hr that will help maximize my effort? Supplements to take? Etc?

I donít want to bulk up at all, just want to CUT THE FAT!!

This is a good read, any input on teh article?

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0012281eac____

www.crossfit.com

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'm in the same boat (same injury) and HATE the stationary bike. I'd rather deal with the pain on a treadmill than deal with my nuts going numb.

You're doing it wrong.

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
You're doing it wrong.
Apparently. I'm talking about if I'm just sitting and maintaining a set speed for 30-45min. If I do HIIT, ye old balls are bueno. I know how concerned you are with my testicles, fucker.

You coming to my b-day party or are you going to be a cunt and bitch out?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
Rhabdomyolysis anyone? LOL. At least you know what you are getting into. I'm betting 99% of the people on this board don't have a clue of the connection.

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Rhabdomyolysis anyone? LOL. At least you know what you are getting into. I'm betting 99% of the people on this board don't have a clue of the connection.
Drink water

And the be all end all crossfit workout will always be Fran to me
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post

no dice on the treadmill. i've been doing it on the eliptical the past 2 days with good results so far

Quote:
Quote:
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Drink water

And the be all end all crossfit workout will always be Fran to me

They say, and I quote.

"If you want something easier, go do crossfit."

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
not exclude

Quote:

They say, and I quote.

"If you want something easier, go do crossfit."
Lol, maybe the intro crossfit stuff (like a lot of the named ladies), but nothing in that video is foreign to most crossfit geared gyms.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

lol..I doubt it..

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. I've found that for me, running burns a shitton more fat for me than working out does. That said, I also look like I run 3 miles a day and don't lift at all, but that's because I don't lift at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement