question need help please - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
question need help please

I am working out at least 3 times a week and sometimes 4 but I have a problem with my work outs. My left arms seems to go to failure after doing bench and incline, I can't do anything with it for about 20 mins or so. I am trying to figure out how to make my left arm stay strong like my right one. Nothing sucks worse than droping a dumb bell on your chest because your arm just gives out. So if any one can help, I would be thankful.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Hired Hand

I'd suggest staying with split body exercises that separate left and right such as dumbells, Hammer strength, and any other movement you can do left and right separately. Start with the week arm, go to failure, and stop at the same point on the right side (as far as reps go. This should hopefully keep you from favoring your right arm and allow the left time to catch up. Also remember that the body is not symetrical and imbalances can occur. For instance, after 7 1/2 years of lifting my left side is slightly weaker than my right. It has taken a constant conscious effort to even them out.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata
I'd suggest staying with split body exercises that separate left and right such as dumbells, Hammer strength, and any other movement you can do left and right separately. Start with the week arm, go to failure, and stop at the same point on the right side (as far as reps go. This should hopefully keep you from favoring your right arm and allow the left time to catch up. Also remember that the body is not symetrical and imbalances can occur. For instance, after 7 1/2 years of lifting my left side is slightly weaker than my right. It has taken a constant conscious effort to even them out.
well I have to do bench and incline there is no way to get away from that. but I do the dumbells and the hammer strength also. Now tonight, I seem to have gotten a little bit stronger only needed help on maybe two sets all night and I went with more weight this time, so that is good, and my left arm didn't fall off either. I am just confused as to way it does that I will try to work in more dumbells in my work out though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
I am just confused as to way it does that I will try to work in more dumbells in my work out though.
I am assuming you meant "why it does that" and as I said the human body isn't symetrical. Bones can be different lengths, muscles grow differenty due to many factors, injury repair causes problems, and even the nervous system can be more efficient in some places. Just recognize the places that need more work and consciously correct them.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 02:05 PM

do you have an injury in that arm or is it just a lot weaker? how long have you been training? do you participate in any organized sports or do you have coaches pushing you? i would take a break and work on some basic rehab if it hurts like streching and not lifting at all for a little while, that is if its an injury. just my .02

if its jsut weaker just work it very hard and give it plenty or recoperation between training sessions and it will be up to par in no time. most people when they start training have very weak areas of their body but can overcome them with peristance and work.

BTW: opinions are like assholes, everyones got one. in bodybuilding and weight training everyone has their own ideas that they swear by just like Professional Trainers all have diffrant routines and diets and most are very diffrant but most do work!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Well I did do something to my left arm a few months ago, not sure what it was. I worked out and either pulled a tricep muscle or pinched a nerve real bad. All I know is that my left arm swelled up on the tri area and I couldn't straighten it out for 3 or 4 days then all of a sudden it was fine.

I have started my workout about 5 weeks ago I think. My leg workout is fine no problems there, then again never had a problem with legs. It is just my arms have always been weak, even when I played football in H.S. never had much upper body strength never saw any reason for it since I could just push people out my way with my legs. so all my upper body workout is what is killing me. I just want to get back to 200lbs on bench right now I am lucky to get 150 up once let alone 4 times.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 12:55 PM

i think you should go see a doc mabe you streched, tore, or stressed something pretty bad, i threw my left shoulder out of secket 9 or 10 months ago and it took a lot of rest and rehab before it was better. it still pops if i turn it wrong but its way better than the day i did it!

injurys should never be rushed for it will only make it worse!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

It doesn't hurt any more, just weaker than my right arm. but like I said some times it fails and sometimes it holds up, just want it to hold up all the time
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Hired Hand

After injury you muscles and nervous system need to re-learn how to funtion properly, which is not an immediate process. Make sure the injury itself is healled fully first and then tend to the lagging body part(s). After a motorcycle wreck in '96 I am still slightly weaker in my left sid and it's not for lack of trying. Just be patient and work out smart.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement