F**k "Doctors orders"... or how I'm learning to not take my health for granted. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Exclamation F**k "Doctors orders"... or how I'm learning to not take my health for granted.

I had my knee surgery 5 weeks ago (torn medial meniscus and partially torn ACL) and I think I'm slowly going insane.

Aaron, it's not quite the same, but I think I feel your pain. For the past 5 weeks I have wanted nothing more than to get on my bike and ride. I am going stir crazy. Shit, I would even welcome running (and that's saying a lot! ).

The only leg exercises I can do are isometric rehab type stuff.
Walking only. Straight ahead, no pivoting, twisting, etc. Absolutely no running until at least 1/24/09 (3 mos. post-op).

At the 3 week appt. I told him it still hurt, both dull and sharp pains, but not all the time. He told me to keep up the rehab stuff and come back in 4 more weeks. That's two weeks from now, and I still have pains

When this is done, I swear to God, I will never squander my ability to exercise (or my general health) again. Being so sedentary sucks.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 12-01-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Lifer

Should have just cut it off!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
GoT mIlK

man that sucks bro ... hope everything works out soon.... I hated not being able to walk... thank god it only lasted for 3months...

sLoW 5.0 waitin on parts...

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
Should have just cut it off!
Fuck that. Then I would have had to give Slider my bike

LOL

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine
Fuck that. Then I would have had to give Slider my bike

LOL
Naw, just fab up a cam mechanism for one legged pedaling!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Walking only. Straight ahead, no pivoting, twisting, etc. Absolutely no running until at least 1/24/09 (3 mos. post-op)
You'll be running before me if that makes you feel better.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by my dixie wrecked
Fuck no! Jockey shift?! Which leg is it?
Right... but I'm talking about a bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my dixie wrecked
What kinda bike?
Specialized Allez.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
get on my bike and ride.
Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Haha.
You, sir, have problems. LOL

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Haha.

Brilliant.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
You, sir, have problems. LOL
Nothing that can't be fixed by a quick 5-mile bike ride in the brisk mid-afternoon air.

Too soon?

Quote:
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Lifer

It sucks, but it is worth it, to follow docs ordered. Don't be like some of my friends that re tare their knee 2 months post op, now that would really suck. Just be glade your walking, I could not walk for 1 1/2 months post op.

02-z28
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Crackalack!

Poor little tink-tink.....

(Chris Rock....)
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Doing things the lazy way

yeah dont try and rush anything i was in bed for 3 weeks after my surgery then didnt start rehab for another 2 then 16 weeks of therapy sucked like crap cause i got fat but now im playing football again and have not had a problem since, my homeboy thought he was all cool and thought he could walk on it and do everything normal 2 weeks after his and now 8 months later he is having to go back for another sugery cause it never healed right
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Right... but I'm talking about a bicycle. Specialized Allez.
Damn I didn't know we had other riders on the site. My weapon of choice. Stock save for Mavic Aksiums.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Nobody

No, there are alot of us, here's my pride and joy.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I had my knee surgery 5 weeks ago (torn medial meniscus and partially torn ACL) and I think I'm slowly going insane.

Aaron, it's not quite the same, but I think I feel your pain. For the past 5 weeks I have wanted nothing more than to get on my bike and ride. I am going stir crazy. Shit, I would even welcome running (and that's saying a lot! ).

Walking only. Straight ahead, no pivoting, twisting, etc. Absolutely no running until at least 1/24/09 (3 mos. post-op).

At the 3 week appt. I told him it still hurt, both dull and sharp pains, but not all the time. He told me to keep up the rehab stuff and come back in 4 more weeks. That's two weeks from now, and I still have pains

When this is done, I swear to God, I will never squander my ability to exercise (or my general health) again. Being so sedentary sucks.
I had my left ACL reconstructed in August of 2006. I was couch-bound after surgery and it sucks. Post surgery I had a large amount of swelling and I had to go in because they thought I might throw a blood clot. The doctor used a horse needle/syringe to drain about 60cc off my knee. It hurt like hell.

I ended up loosing a good amount of muscle size and about 14 lbs not being able to work out. The pain meds made me lose my appetite and I ended up flushing them down the toilet and dealing with the pain.

I had to go to rehab for several months and it was VERY hard to do the little quirky exercises when all I wanted to do was get back in the gym.

Trust me, take it slow and let your body heal. Don't push it. Do what the PT tells you to. If your insurance allows it, go to a good PT. The Landry Center in Dallas has a good program, or if you are in FTW go to The Ben Hogan Center. That's where I went to rehab, and they are EXCELLENT.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

2 month update...

Went back in this morning for another follow-up appt. Told him the aching was still happening off and on, showed him where, etc. He asked if it had given out on me, locked up, etc since the surgery, to which I said no. He said that the aching will be normal for quite a while. As long as there are no sharp pains I should not worry.

The he said the most awesome thing ever...

"Get back on your bike. Start pedaling. Get back in the gym as much as you are comfortable with. You don't necessarily need to baby it, but use good judgement and only do what you're comfortable with."

He did tell me I had to wear a fitted (read very expensive) brace if I planned to do anything that involved planting or twisting, but at ~$800 I think I'll just avoid basketball and racquetball, LOL.

He said I could probably expect some aching pains after doing any sort of exercise but not necessarily during.

Soooooo... since the weather is shit right now (and I don't want to get stuck away from home if for some reason it does fuck up ) I think I'll throw the bike on the trainer today after work and test it out

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:

you don't have it that bad my cousin had hip replacement 2 yrs. ago at age 32 the first time the fuckin doc either order it too long or didn't do it right but at the end of the operation my cousin's leg was 1 1/2 inches longer than the other so they had to order another hip that took a couple of months so he stayed in bed the whole time with a lot of pain. they open him the second time and took him almost a year to recover just to walk or kneel down, he still can't run. they said he might need another hip replacement in appx. 30 yrs. he said I kill myself before I go through that again...... he says he misses playing basketball, jogging hiking... it sux for him...
all because a fucking Doctor in mexico when he was a baby gave him a shot in the wrong place.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Thumbs up

Quote:
The he said the most awesome thing ever...

"Get back on your bike. Start pedaling. Get back in the gym as much as you are comfortable with. You don't necessarily need to baby it, but use good judgement and only do what you're comfortable with."
Great news, pussy.

Quote:
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Lifer

Because of my job (and my playing ice hockey), I requested a brace (it would have been covered under worker's comp). My doc denied it saying that you get dependant on the brace and it's not really good. He said my new ACL was as strong as my old one before it tore, so I really don't need one.

I partially tore it back in 2000 when I was hit by a F150, and finished the tear in 2006 fighting 2 guys that were trying to beat a 50 yoa man with baseball bats on the side of 287 in Mansfield.

Both were "on duty" injuries, so I'm not sure if I was denied it because worker's comp is cheap, or that's what the doc really believes.

I'll probably never know.

Good luck with your rehab. If you ever did squats, I hope you can return. I know I can't do free squats anymore. I can do 4 wheels/side on the smith rack, but I can't do free squats, it makes my knee hurt like hell for a couple of days after. Same with running. I can jog on the treadmill, but if I run on pavement or hard ground, the pounding just kills my knee.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Good to hear Matt, one day I'll get to hear the same. We took xrays last week (3 months in), and my tibia fracture isn't quite healed, and the fibula still hasn't fused comletely. Hit a few miles for me.

Quote:
He did tell me I had to wear a fitted (read very expensive) brace if I planned to do anything that involved planting or twisting, but at ~$800 I think I'll just avoid basketball and racquetball, LOL.
It's crazy what they charge for that shit. When I first started minimal load bearing, I was in this generic plastic and velcro boot that went all the way up the calf. They billed my insurance $450 for this non-jounted brace, I was floored. Insurance paid just under $300, and the company billed me the rest, but mom (works in medical insurance) said that it's unlikely that they'd actually send me a bill for the rest, that they were glad to get as much as they did. I'm glad to have had it, but insurance is a friggin' scam.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Good to hear Matt, one day I'll get to hear the same. We took xrays last week (3 months in), and my tibia fracture isn't quite healed, and the fibula still hasn't fused comletely. Hit a few miles for me.

You shouldn't have to wait for the fibula to heal since the tibia is the main weight bearing bone. When the fib fuses, you should be good to go.

I slid into 3rd base while playing softball in 1997 and broke my right ankle in a 90 degree break. The bottom of my right foot was facing directly to my right. I broke the tibia like a toothpick, the fibula in a "U" shaped fracture, and the bone that sticks out of the left side of my ankle was broken in half. I have a rod and 8 screws in the fibula, and 2 screws holding the inside bone back together.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Can do! Got back outside today... and it was a bit rough.

I guess I have some good goals for the new year now! LOL.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

OK, I need to bump this.

For anyone who has had ACL work, how long did you have that "loose" (like it could hyperextend at any moment if you dont watch it) feeling? Or how long before you were comfortable running?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Lifer

I would say it was about 6 months, but a year before it felt somewhat normal again. Now two years later it feel better than my other knee, its a long process, build up your leg muscles as much as possible, it really does help.

02-z28
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

It is time to get mine worked on. Hopefully I can stretch the surgury out until September so I can take time off from work.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Lifer

This is the guy I would have do any orthopedic surgeries on me if I needed them...he is a master at ACL repairs and getting you back to full speed very quickly...he works on all of the motocross guys and gets them back on the bike very quickly.

www.sandersclinic.net

His name is Mark Sanders. He is a moderator in the Health and Fitness forum on Thumpertalk and the Broken Bones forum on houstonmotocross.com. He is in Houston. His hospital will pay your airfare to and from Houston...pretty cool deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement