Starting the gym and need help. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Starting the gym and need help.

So I知 starting the gym today I知 24 years old, 216 pounds I知 5'11 and I don't really want to loose that much weigh but do want to make some muscle, I have never worked out in my life except when I was in middle school that I play soccer and baseball, that was like 7 or so years ago. What machines should I start with, I know for a fact I知 out of shape big time, I need some help please thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by audistang87
So I知 starting the gym today I知 24 years old, 216 pounds I知 5'11 and I don't really want to loose that much weigh but do want to make some muscle, I have never worked out in my life except when I was in middle school that I play soccer and baseball, that was like 7 or so years ago. What machines should I start with, I know for a fact I知 out of shape big time, I need some help please thanks guys.

Get a personal trainer..

They will go over all the machines with you and proper TECHNIQUE..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Baller

Quote:
I would suggest thinking about losing weight if you weigh that much and have never worked out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECDOGGIE
Get a personal trainer..

They will go over all the machines with you and proper TECHNIQUE..
I would not suggest this at a large chain Gym as most of those guys are not the most knowledgeable.

From an outside organization maybe, but your best bet would be to do your internet research, and ask friends in the gym.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
I would not suggest this at a large chain Gym as most of those guys are not the most knowledgeable.

From an outside organization maybe, but your best bet would be to do your internet research, and ask friends in the gym.
True to that because it seems like they charge so much but only show you how to use the machines and thats pretty much it, i know this from my wife that started before me and made the mistake on getting one.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Baller

Quote:
True to that because it seems like they charge so much but only show you how to use the machines and thats pretty much it, i know this from my wife that started before me and made the mistake on getting one.
Where do you live, and what gym?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
wishin i had a fast car

Quote:
I would suggest thinking about losing weight if you weigh that much and have never worked out.
if he starts working out he will lose weight.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Old Fart

Exercise in a way so you don't get burned out. Make it a part of your lifestyle.

A lot of the membership gyms offer some sort of personal trainer time up front. Good for learning technique and problem solving. e.g. "How do I build biceps?"

If you start working out, you will probably eat more as well, so you still have to watch your diet. Lifting weights and doing cardio don't solve bad eating habits.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Where do you live, and what gym?
Mesquite and im starting at bally's.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Nobody

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee earley
if he starts working out he will lose weight.
yes...that's exactly how it works...

And that also why I've remained ~190lbs for over a year while working out regularly and keeping my food intake consistent. And no im not at the bottom limitations of BF%.

I would say if anything...weight training can add weight. And more than likely will add weight as a beginner.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

So it was all good i don't feel it that much probably because I already play basketball but I did 15 minutes on each machine didn稚 do anything else I did this for 1 30 minutes sweated a lot, a lot a lot but I feel good today.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

The more muscle you can build, the more calories you will burn, even while at rest. The main thing I tell my buddies is to watch the carbs, especially after lunchtime. Cardio is something you can't skip either. I'd say a good 20-30 minutes a day if you go to the gym daily. Try to use moderately heavy weights, say some that you can do 12 reps of 1st set, then add 5lbs or so for 10, then another 5 for 8reps. I went from 6'0 and 150lbs with a max bench of ~175 up to 185lbs and a 380lb bench. I have a pretty high metabolism so I can eat pretty much whatever and it doesn't hurt me, but I only have about one cheat meal a week for a reward.
Basically you are what you eat, so if you eat junk, that's what you'll be. Your body will try to hold onto its fat reserves for as long as possible, so you have to keep pushing your body further so that it has to release some of it for fuel.

Also, if you decide to get a personal trainer to help you get started, make sure they practice what they preach. If they're not in good shape, by that I mean they atleast look like they use some of the equipment there regularly, then find somebody who is. From what I've seen, the guys who know what to do and actually do it will be of more help than the ones who only try to instruct you.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

every gym you go to should have at least 2-3 very knowledgeable trainers.

its just like every business....there are people that have been doing it for years and there are people that started 2 weeks ago. you cant judge everyone on the basis that there are some trainers that are complete dumbasses.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
every gym you go to should have at least 2-3 very knowledgeable trainers.

its just like every business....there are people that have been doing it for years and there are people that started 2 weeks ago. you cant judge everyone on the basis that there are some trainers that are complete dumbasses.
you also can't trust that you'll get the 1 or 2 good guys. I guess I prefer to do my own research or rely on a trustworth friend. And trainers these days are overpriced...Isn't it like $50-100 an hour?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
you also can't trust that you'll get the 1 or 2 good guys. I guess I prefer to do my own research or rely on a trustworth friend. And trainers these days are overpriced...Isn't it like $50-100 an hour?

Another reason i cant wait to open a gym. I'll pick my own trainers and train people myself for $30-40/hr.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement