confused!!?!?!? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

confused!!?!?!?

okay i was sitting eating lunch and a argument of sort started between a few guys and my self about a radio interview with Urijah Faber the featherweight champ of the WEC (and poster boy for them as well)... apparently he has givin his workout to some health mag or workout mag and in it he says lifting weights is not part of his workout reg! saying in the interview that the only lifting he does is tire flips and sledge hammer swings, everything else is pylometrics and skill workouts (boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and bjj) during this arguement i found out bj penn also believes in this training!

I know its hard to argue the results when he is 20 somthin-1, but WTF? how is weight lifting not important?
Faber says he only needs to be able to lift his body weight bc the guy he is fighting is about the same weight! this gives him more time to focus on skills!

am i the only one that thinks this is stupid?

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Have you ever done tire fliping?
He does lift a lot of weights, just not with iron.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

yeah i train every day for mma and understand what pylos and tire flips do but to say all you have to do is lift your weight is crazy and weight training gives you alot of advantages in a fight

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Lifer

Gym strength is important but usable dynamic strength and skill oriented strength is a lot moreso. The time spent lifting weights in a 2 hour / 5 day/week regimen is MUCH better spent on the matts, sparring, etc.

Randy Couture's conditioning workout is performed twice a week, and it's light weight, high rep.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
How would that be beneficial in fighting?
there is a difference in lifting to get huge and doing it to become stronger, im not talking about bodybuilding im talking about good old fashion iron lifting!

i understand the points made and all are true but wouldn't being as strong as possible be a smart goal? its like a football player running plays and working technique and only doing pylos! when there is a very beneficial way to use the weights in the room to optimise your strength. like tire flips good on strength and conditioning days but on a strict weight lifting day squats, dead lifts, and cleans are just as good (if not better) and add things in its own way! ask college wrestlers!

like i said i see the point and its hard to argue with the wins this guy has but i just find it hard to believe that it wont be beneficial to spend at least one day in the gym lifting!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdbryan21
weight training gives you alot of advantages in a fight
How?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
like i said i see the point and its hard to argue with the wins this guy has but i just find it hard to believe that it wont be beneficial to spend at least one day in the gym lifting!
Well considering your location says "THE GYM" of course it's going to be hard for you to believe. Think of it in terms of college vs. work experience. College can give you a modicum of background knowledge and theory, but all that can go to hell when you're in a work environment and deal with shit they never told you about in class. Same rule applies. And don't you see linemen in the NFL doing tire flipping and shit like that? It's hard to argue against exercise that will enhance the fighting that you will see in the ring.

I'm all for weights myself. I just don't see it as the "be all and end all" of preparation. It helps, but other things can help better.

Regarding Slo3gt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Whining about someone disclosing their salary on a message forum usually leads to said whiner being a broke dick. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

THE GYM refers to any gym mma and weight room!!
strength is how it helps in a fight !!! no brainer!! put some one one that lifts regulary and trains in skills as well in the ring with you and see the difference than a fight with someone that doesnt have that strength

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
strength is how it helps in a fight !!! no brainer!! put some one one that lifts regulary and trains in skills as well in the ring with you and see the difference than a fight with someone that doesnt have that strength
right

that was sarcasm

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Question

Sarcasm? What's sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
not exclude

Quote:
The basics of it are that most weight lifting is done to isolate certain muscles or muscle groups. With "traditional" weight lifting/body building, you typically aren't doing exersizes that are truly dynamic, compound, practical movements that you would use in a fight. A fighter's time is better spent training to skill, but that's not to say he isn't doing resistance exercises. He is definitely getting stronger, but lifting iron in the traditional, body building way isn't the best way to do it for him. There are better uses of his time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement