Lifting - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Lifting

Are you guys working out multiple muscle groups at one time when you work out or do you just stick with one muscle group per day? I'm asking because I've just started working out with weights and I'm sorta limited to the machines I have. Our gym has 3 machines for shoulders, 2 for the back, 3 for chest, 3 for arms, and 3 for legs along with a cable cross system, dumb bells, squat rack, and some benches.

Keep in mind I'm using these for light weight high reps (20-30 reps for each set)

I only have 4 days to use our gym at work so I figured I'd break each day up into a muscle group doing cardio every day with each muscle group. I was looking at a schedule such as this:

Monday - Cardio (stairs/bike) & chest
Tuesday - Cardio (elipticle/treadmill) & arms
Wednesday - Cardio (bike/elipticle) & shoulders & back
thursday - Cardio (stairs/treadmill) & legs
Friday - cardio (running at home)

Is it more benefitial to combine muscle groups when working out or would a schedule like this work out just fine?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Eagles>Cowboys

I do this split right now.

Chest
Back and bi's
Legs - When my fucking foot heals I will do this more often.
Shoulders - Tri's

When I start mixing Cardio back in I will always lift first then do cardio.

I was doing 5 days of cardio on top of this for 3 months, it was rough, but I lost good weight. I too have a gym at work that is a great benefit. I am only doing cardio at it though. I do lift at the 24 hour by my house though. NO lifting partners at work

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Packin' up...

Chest/Shoulders
Back/Arms
Legs/Abs
Repeat

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Started doing cardio last week here at work and it's been very satisfying, my boss gives me an extra 15-20 longer on my lunch if I come in 15-20 early, that way I can shower after working out. It breaks up my day at work which is pretty nice.

EDIT: Another question, do I get any more of a benefit if I use the 3 machines for the muscle groups as opposed to just 1?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Started doing cardio last week here at work and it's been very satisfying, my boss gives me an extra 15-20 longer on my lunch if I come in 15-20 early, that way I can shower after working out. It breaks up my day at work which is pretty nice.

EDIT: Another question, do I get any more of a benefit if I use the 3 machines for the muscle groups as opposed to just 1?

You work at RadioShack, lol?

And yes, the more excersizes per muscle group you can do will help out a ton.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Very Interesting

Mon - Long Cardio
Tue - Chest/Back - Short Cardio
Wed - Long Cardio
Thu - Bis/Tris - Short Cardio
Friday - off
Sat - Long Cardio
Sun - Legs/Shoulders

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Of course! It's good to do 3 different excersizes/machines per muscle group. Each one would work the muscle a different way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Rookie

2 muscle groups a day for me. 3rd day off.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Thanks fellas, I've never really got started into lifting when I was in highschool. All the cardio from the sports I played seemed to keep me in shape.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Scared s**tless

Cardio is mixed in when needed...

Day 1: chest/triceps/quads/shoulders
Day 2: upper back/lower back/biceps/hams
Day 3: off
Day 4: chest/triceps/quads/shoulders
Day 5: upper back/lower back/biceps/hams
Day 6: off
Day 7: off

It's a bit aggressive, keeps me on the verge of overtraining... But it's effective.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Is there anyone around the Carrollton/Farmers Branch area that wouldn't mind joining me for a workout one afternoon around 2:30 to give me a few pointers? You'd be able to work out with me at no cost.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Cardio is mixed in when needed...

Day 1: chest/triceps/quads/shoulders
Day 2: upper back/lower back/biceps/hams
Day 3: off
Day 4: chest/triceps/quads/shoulders
Day 5: upper back/lower back/biceps/hams
Day 6: off
Day 7: off

It's a bit aggressive, keeps me on the verge of overtraining... But it's effective.
We get the point, Don.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement