mma role call!!???!!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

mma role call!!???!!!

okay!! looking for a new gym need to start focusing on grappling a little more. ive been training and fighting muay thai for the past 4yrs. so my stand up is solid but my recent fights have been ugly! still winning but not like i want! unless im in the clinch im getting taken down alot! my BJJ is decent i have a little bit in the past but its the transition from standing to the ground and vice versa where im getting slammed alot!

so where does everyone train in wrestling/grappling around this area?

looking to get into a school where its full of good fighters. so where are the top wrestlers training?

thought about lutters camp out in ft. worth but thought id see what yall say and what all is out there! any suggestions?

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Grapevine Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdbryan21
okay!! looking for a new gym need to start focusing on grappling a little more. ive been training and fighting muay thai for the past 4yrs. so my stand up is solid but my recent fights have been ugly! still winning but not like i want! unless im in the clinch im getting taken down alot! my BJJ is decent i have a little bit in the past but its the transition from standing to the ground and vice versa where im getting slammed alot!

so where does everyone train in wrestling/grappling around this area?

looking to get into a school where its full of good fighters. so where are the top wrestlers training?

thought about lutters camp out in ft. worth but thought id see what yall say and what all is out there! any suggestions?

JKD is our resident ninja....find what you seek, he will.

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Lifer

If it is more for mma I would recomend lutter, as I have trained with him a couple of times. Good guy and very informative. If you want straight technical, Carlos Mechado in dallas, I have met him and he is a nice guy. Heard good stuff about a couple other places but these are what I know in that area. When I come back to Texas I will be going back to lutters.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Warriors Way .... but you would have to drive a while most likely hehe.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM

hmmm..

i have some friends that are amatuers at mma,, but are really damm good, they re called dallas jaw breakers, if youd like some info let me know
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

try Guy Mezgers Combat Sports Club

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11sec4eyes
If it is more for mma I would recomend lutter, as I have trained with him a couple of times. Good guy and very informative. If you want straight technical, Carlos Mechado in dallas, I have met him and he is a nice guy. Heard good stuff about a couple other places but these are what I know in that area. When I come back to Texas I will be going back to lutters.

<----Carlos Machado student.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Time Served

ground game

i train with yousef over at his gym in carrollton. it is called star jiu-jitsu. the man has wrestled since he was crawling! he has 250+ gold medals in wrestling and jjiu-jitsu. on the day classes, friday n ight, and early saturday morning yoiu will have nothing but brown and black belts in there to train with. right now i am preparing for my pro mma fight on aug 29th. Those guys are excellent. the other place is marcus hicks school in lewisville, and he is a cardio machine, despite his loss with varner! those knees killed him. besides he really is a good trainer, and coach as well.

need to go faster!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Lifer

I train under Billy Blanks. I'm on Tae-Bo level 8.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Where would be a good place to start training, period?

I would be interested in MMA,
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECDOGGIE
Where would be a good place to start training, period?

I would be interested in MMA,

What side of DFW do you live and what is your budget for it?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
<----Carlos Machado student.

I have trained with them as well..top notch

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
x2
I'm back in Colorado right now, but trained with Hick's & Mezger down there for two weeks. Both are really skilled guys with plenty of top notch guys to roll with. I plan on moving down there soon (a month or so) & plan to cross train @ both gyms. From my experience, you'll probably get more one on one with Hick's. I previously posted on another thread that he was belted under Machado, but was actually belted under Mohler. If you're looking to get belted, Machado or Lutter both come with alot of credability. At the moment, you can't get belted @ GMCSC, Hick's told me he can belt however. I'm 6' working to get down to 185, Hick's walks around 5'6" & 165ish pounds, honestly after rollin' with Hick's he made me feel pretty small. JDK seems to know a little more about the gyms down there, so maybe you can pm him. I know I plan to as soon as I get back down there, I'm sure he won't mind.

Mezger's gym is very nice & has plenty of space with a cage also when you walk in to the right, a huge rolling mat strait ahead, a little work out station to the left, & showers in the restrooms as well. Talk with a lady named Heidi (manager), you can do a week for $10.00's or something along those lines just to try it out. Or you can have your previous instructor call & recommend you so you don't have to do the beginners classes. They charge $110.00/month direct deposit. If anything, just MAKE SURE YOUR NOT LATE, I was from out of town my first time,so they were very understanding once I told them who I was. Techniquely, they won't let you into class if your late...(Addison)

Hick's gym is a little more on the "Rough" side, I'd like so say it's a little more my style, a lot more "Raw". When you walk in there is a Boxing ring to your left, punching bags right pased that, and then a "Homemade' cage follows. There is also good sized rolling room to the right as you come in. I swear it had to be a 120 degrees in there & I swear I have never sweat so hard training before. Could be a good or bad thing, I found it hard in the sprawl drills only because I kept slipping in my own sweat. He'll probably let you try it out as well for a class or two. It's kind of hard to hold a long conversaion with him only because he's a real quite guy. If you F' up, he will let you know... He charges $140.00/month also via derect deposit. (Lewisville)

Machado was a great guy to talk with & the only reason I didn't try his gym out was because I was already training @ the other 2 previously mentioned gyms, & time did not permit. Very nice place however & a real genuine guy. He said that they don't do a lot of "No Gi" grappling, & that's all I really ever trained. Reguardless, he's a great instuctor if not the greatest in the area, just remember, BJJ specific. They charge $150.00/month starting also via direct deposit. Really close to Mezger's gym, maybe 2 miles away or so. (Farmer's Branch)

Anyway, I hope this helps out a little, good luck!
www.dynotunecolorado.com

Last edited by CompBoost; 08-10-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: type-o-
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Lifer

My friend goes here.

http://www.10thplanetjiujitsudfw.com...php/About.html

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
T-MINUS

Going through p90x right now. I'll be a self appointed 2nd degree brown belt in Kempo when I'm done.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD

I live in sachse... Budget? I never thought about that.

What would i be looking at?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I live in sachse... Budget? I never thought about that.

What would i be looking at?

Hey, we're neighbors! I'm in Wylie. lol.

Obviously cost is always a concern for everything we do. But you may also want to take in consideration how seriously you are taking this. Some MMA schools are pretty expensive. You also have to consider schedules. Whatever you interest is in, you have to find a school that suits your schedule.

In my opinion, one of the best MMA schools in Dallas is NDBJJ.

http://www.ndbjj.com/index_home_page.htm

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Plano is just out of my reach with gas @ $4.00/gallon. Has anyone trained at Siam Star there in Plano. I've heard a lot of good things for Muay Thai...
www.siamstarmuaythai.com/
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompBoost
Plano is just out of my reach with gas @ $4.00/gallon. Has anyone trained at Siam Star there in Plano. I've heard a lot of good things for Muay Thai...

What part of town are you in?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Commercial Flooring Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Hey, we're neighbors! I'm in Wylie. lol.

Obviously cost is always a concern for everything we do. But you may also want to take in consideration how seriously you are taking this. Some MMA schools are pretty expensive. You also have to consider schedules. Whatever you interest is in, you have to find a school that suits your schedule.

In my opinion, one of the best MMA schools in Dallas is NDBJJ.

http://www.ndbjj.com/index_home_page.htm

Yep.. I couldnt find anything on price?

Are we looking at something like 100 per week, or like 60 a month??

Just throwing numbers out there....
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
What part of town are you in?
I'll be moving to Flower Mound (75028) on or close to the 1st, I'll be there until November 1, then look to move somewhere in Addison.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:

Yep.. I couldnt find anything on price?

Are we looking at something like 100 per week, or like 60 a month??

Just throwing numbers out there....

Most schools have different programs with prices accordingly. Depending on how often you go, what program etc. The Machado school I'm at is about 120-200 a month depending on your contract.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompBoost

siams is a cool place to go if your lookin for mauy thai!! Tomer is a great trainer and he will get your stand up in awsome shape! i would get in decent shape (cardio wise) before you join bc it gets pretty intence and talk to him not sure if they still do but NDbjj shares the gym so you can get in alittle jj also!

but its a great place to go!

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

i appreciate the help im makin my rounds and checkin out some places! THANKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement