Getting back into the swing of things - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Getting back into the swing of things

I'm looking to get back into running and wanted some opinions on something. Now, I'm 6'2" and weigh 310 with a BMI of 33 and would love to see that number fall. I use to run alot after high school, about 5 miles a day 5x a week, but needless to say I let that go and that was like 13 years ago. I want to start up again, but should I be concerned with distance or time spent doing cardio?

'00 GT 5spd. K&N filter, flowmasters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Grapevine Ford

How big were you when you ran like that??? If you have not been that big and ran before your knees, ankles etc might not like that too much.....you may want to start with a lower impact cardio workout to get your strength back in your joints, ligaments, tendons etc....just MHO.

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Rookie

140-150 heart rate is what you want. Start with 20min and work your way up to 45 or more.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN449
How big were you when you ran like that??? If you have not been that big and ran before your knees, ankles etc might not like that too much.....you may want to start with a lower impact cardio workout to get your strength back in your joints, ligaments, tendons etc....just MHO.

I think I was around 225 at the time I would run. I think I'll try to keep it low impact like powerwalking till I drop a few pounds. Thanks for the advice

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM

walk or run a mile, you'll burn the same calories. just takes less time to run.

start with walking to see how your legs handle it, then progress from there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman152
I think I was around 225 at the time I would run. I think I'll try to keep it low impact like powerwalking till I drop a few pounds. Thanks for the advice
At 310, you don't need to be running anywhere. Walking will still take a toll on your knees/ankles, etc. Get good shoes., The bigger you are, the more it matters. You don't mention an age, either, but you might consider a stationary bike or treadmill.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Oh, I'm 31. I work outside as a pest tech and do alot of walking all day. My legs are fine to handle walking around alot, I just gotta be careful when it comes to running. I weighed the same in the summer of '06 and was going to the gym doing the eliptical (sp?) for 1/2 hour 4x a week. I got down to 280. Then I broke my ankle on the job in Dec '06 and haven't got back to the gym since. So the weight I lost found its way back. My goal is to get down to 245 or so. After high school, I got into lifting and was in real good shape at 245. So I'm checking Golds out tonight to see what kind of start up deal I can get. We just had our first child in May and I need to get my ass in shape so I can be sure to see him grow up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement