Pain in lower back after squats. Stop working lower back? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Pain in lower back after squats. Stop working lower back?

Got finished doing a set of 20 squats off a low box and started on some front squats when I got a seriously pain in my lower back. I have felt pains similar in the past but this was a very intense pain. I was wearing a belt and was very strict on my form. Decided to call it a day and drove home, the pain continued until I showered and since then my back has felt pretty normal.

Deadlifts are tomorrow and squats this weekend, not sure if I should give it a go or take a break, I hesitate to take a break since I am 2 weeks into a PH cycle right now and would like to continue doing the big lifts.

Anyone had a pain like that, very painful but only temporary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

I pulled mine doing some bent rows a while back....took it easy for a few weeks and hasn't bothered me since....Make sure to train smart....

Just another day in paradise.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Worship me

Box squats are retarded. One fuck up and you got lots of iron smashing your spine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Rookie

That's why you do them in the rack with the bars. Me loves some box squats.

Yeah, i get little pains here and there, mostly pinched nerves. They go away.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i know a dozen ppl who have herniated L5s1 from box squats... it is possibly the dumbest movement possilbe.. lets take ALOT of weight. put it on your shoulders and then Squat down onto a box.. compressing your spine and seeing how it holds up.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
i know a dozen ppl who have herniated L5s1 from box squats... it is possibly the dumbest movement possilbe.. lets take ALOT of weight. put it on your shoulders and then Squat down onto a box.. compressing your spine and seeing how it holds up.
I've seen dumb asses sitting down on the box with the weights bouncing on their shoulders too, you're suppose to control the weight down unload the legs and explode up. Yeah, it's still heavy weight on the spine but it helps with your explosiveness out of the hole. Most all good squaters do them.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Insane In The Membrane

Quote:
x2

On a mission for commission
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was only doing 245lbs since I was going for 20 reps in a row (killer set for me). I never actually sit on the box, only touch and then back up, I like them because I cannot cheat, either I touch the box or I dont, if I dont touch I dont count it which motivates me to make sure I get a full range of motion and more power off the bottom.

On that note, I went ahead and did deadlifts today. 405x5 on the ground and then 315x10 on a three inch box. No pain at all. I guess I probably just pinched something.

Now I gotsta go eat eat eat...

Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I used to do squats and DL every week staggering them every three days or so. That lasted a couple months then the freakin pain in the lower back hit. The muscles in the lower back take longer to recover than other muscles. I do squats almost every week, staggering them heavy and then light. I only do DL every other week when I do light squat........no more pain!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

going deep..

When I did squat(years ago) I was using a bench sideways instead of a box. Good tool for guaging your depth. IF you dont actually touch it...just use it as a ref point. But I was in yuma and this huge ass animal asked me for a spot. He had no shit ike 6 plates a side...turns out he was a former Marine from the 70's. This guy looked like one of those european worlds strongest men types. Just a freaking house. Anyway, I asked him for advice on legs. Here is something for you....dont do the box squats....he explained about compressing your spine instead go wuth a lighter weight and go all the way down. EXPLODE back up. No bouncing. just a smooth movement from deep deep down to back up to the top. He said always go that dep for 20 reps. once you get your 20 add 5-10 lbs and stay with that until 20 reps again. This is how most powerlifters train. He said their knees and lower back cant hold up to heavy weight for 4 reps all the time. He said you will get size and shape but your strength will really sore. Then the days you want t o tain for straight bulk or a 6 weeks out from a deadlift match you can do the heavy ass weight low rep routine I did this for about 2 months and holy shit. went from one 35 on each side to at the end of 2 months 60 lbs per side for 20 deep reps...it really helped my strength. Trust me you will have to drop the weight from whatever you are doing now but it works. going deep really compensates for the lack of weight. FORM a strict smooth form is most important. So give you back a rest for a week and try this. Again this is just an opinion but I know it helped me out!!! Good luck!

Its Gods job to judge the terrorist....its OUR job to arrange the meeting. Semper Fi/USMC
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
-Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985foxbody
This is how most powerlifters train.
Actually, that's not true. Not that we can put a percentage on the number to find 'most,' but a large number of big squaters use box squats.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Actually, that's not true. Not that we can put a percentage on the number to find 'most,' but a large number of big squaters use box squats.
i think the problem is not the box squats.. but its the Concept of corrrect form. most noobs PLOW into the box/bench, compress their spine and then shoot up. PL's who do it right. BARELY TOUCH.. because they are moving down SLOWLY.. i can honestly say 80% of the ppl i have seen doing box squats literally sit down on the bench.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
i think the problem is not the box squats.. but its the Concept of corrrect form. most noobs PLOW into the box/bench, compress their spine and then shoot up. PL's who do it right. BARELY TOUCH.. because they are moving down SLOWLY.. i can honestly say 80% of the ppl i have seen doing box squats literally sit down on the bench.
I agree completely, I see way too many guys that sit back and have their back too straight instead of keeping a correct arch, too.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Worship me

I don't care how many people do them or don't do them. I wouldn't do them, you only need one fuck up and your back will be screwed. What happens if your knee takes a shit? With bars in a rack then you could save yourself but just a box under me? Shit no!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement