Mma? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Mma?

how many people on here are training for this sport and or competing?
just curious what kind of camps and events go on in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Lifer

What is MMA?

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Lifer

Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
What is MMA?
MidgetMomAssfucking

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
What is MMA?
Man on Man Action?

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
Man on Man Action?

How YOU doin?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
How YOU doin?
hey sexy remember.. its only gay if you make eye contact...

D.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Lifer

Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
hey sexy remember.. its only gay if you make eye contact...
Well, don't kiss either because you make the shit too intimate!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94StangFiveO
Well, don't kiss either because you make the shit too intimate!
i love watching 2 grown men roll around in their underwear...
its only Fun to watch if ppl are on the side line screaming " POWER OUT OF IT"..

D.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Can someone please explain to me the mentality (stupidity) of an MMA fighter, or anybody interested in becoming a professional at it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you fight, you're going to get your ass kicked, even if you win. What makes people WANT to get their ass kicked? I'll stick to being a spectator.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor!
Can someone please explain to me the mentality (stupidity) of an MMA fighter, or anybody interested in becoming a professional at it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you fight, you're going to get your ass kicked, even if you win. What makes people WANT to get their ass kicked? I'll stick to being a spectator.

umm. its called being a warrior.. it takes a fuckin MAN to get in that ring knowing that win or lose you are going to get banged up..

D.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Some people enjoy knowing exactly what they're made of. In all aspects of life, if you never push yourself to the limits, you can never know just how much you have. As a fighter, you are forced to confront another like minded individual who on that day is standing there thinking the same thing about you. Today is my day, I AM better than him. Some people are okay with not knowing themselves, those people are spectators.

The pain brings clarity.

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:

You sir, sound like a fucking bitch.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Some people enjoy knowing exactly what they're made of. In all aspects of life, if you never push yourself to the limits, you can never know just how much you have. As a fighter, you are forced to confront another like minded individual who on that day is standing there thinking the same thing about you. Today is my day, I AM better than him. Some people are okay with not knowing themselves, those people are spectators.

Very well said.

Until you've put yourself out there like that, it's hard for anyone to understand. Learning to fight is just a by-product of the arts. Putting your heart and soul into your training to test yourself against another adversary who has done the same is very rewarding. It's the ultimate test of self. It has less to do with breaking down the spirit of another fighter then it has to do with putting yourself in a tough situation to see if you can get yourself out safely and efficiently. You take his best shot and deal with it to find out if your training has done what you hoped it would.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Just because he doesn't understand, doesn't make him a bitch. It just makes him ignorant and uninformed.

Are you a fighter? Or do you lack the courage of your convictions?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
I just don't really like getting my ass kicked. I don't think that's very uncommon...

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Just because he doesn't understand, doesn't make him a bitch. It just makes him ignorant and uninformed.

No, I do not fight professionally nor do I go out and start fights because I think I'm a bad ass but I'm not going to back down from someone. If I get punched then guaranteed there's one coming back your way.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I just don't really like getting my ass kicked. I don't think that's very uncommon...
That's understandable. I will not begin to say that a fighter's path is for everyone. I don't know that I would call someone's mindset stupid for doing something that I don't understand.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No it's not common for people to like to get their ass kicked.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
No, I do not fight professionally nor do I go out and start fights because I think I'm a bad ass but I'm not going to back down from someone. If I get punched then guaranteed there's one coming back your way.
Obviously.

Your typical bar brawl usually comes on unexpected. To purposefully step into a ring and get your ass kicked is completely different. The same holds true for boxers, not just MMA badasses. I just never understood it.

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:46 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
That's understandable. I will not begin to say that a fighter's path is for everyone. I don't know that I would call someone's mindset stupid for doing something that I don't understand.
That's what my mindset says. Guess I'm stupid for thinking that.

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Obviously.

Your typical bar brawl usually comes on unexpected. To purposefully step into a ring and get your ass kicked is completely different. The same holds true for boxers, not just MMA badasses. I just never understood it.
I don't think I would mind it. Some friends and I were horsing around the other day and I woke up the next morning a little sore and didn't mind it. I would like to train a little and step into a ring or whatever and get my ass kicked. I'll never know if it's for me until I try.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD

nah he's right geor is a bitch.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
That's what my mindset says. Guess I'm stupid for thinking that.

The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical ( and mental!) action.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
nah he's right geor is a bitch.

god bless.
And you're MY bitch.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

How's about you macho motherfuckers become some real men and learn the ways of the samurai, or is that a bit too much for ya?

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
How's about you macho motherfuckers become some real men and learn the ways of the samurai, or is that a bit too much for ya?
MMA fighters are pretty much a modern day samurai. (Or at least the closest thing to it)
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
MMA fighters are pretty much a modern day samurai. (Or at least the closest thing to it)
Minus the death and all...

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Minus the death and all...
Hence the need for the statement in parentheses.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Bushido- way of the warrior. I'm not unfamiliar. I would not call MMA fighters Samurai. Samurai fought for a reason that they felt was greater than each warrior independently.

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

It's about pushing your limits more & more everyday and not quiting when your body wants to.After pushing your self everyday for a year or so ,getting in there with someone that has done the same and seeing who's training has paid off and whos game is better.Yes you get hit,kicked,and pulled on but thats when your gut check comes and you really see what your made of.Plus its kinda fun to smash some one and them smash on you back.
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I'm from Colorado Springs, Co & came to the DFW area specifically for MMA training. There is a lot to offer in the area. I'm currently training at Guy Mezger's Combat Club in Addison (Lion's Den Dallas) & Hick's MMA in Lewisville. Both are top notch camps from what I have experienced. I plan on checking out Travis Lutter's camp in Ft. Worth, heard he actually has two locations, & also Carlos Machado's BJJ in Farmer's Branch (Internationally Known). I have a partenership in a shop back home, I plan on leaving that behind & starting out fresh over here to focus on MMA. Hope there's a lot of hardcore Mustang enthusiast out here, I have a few toys I'd like to bring with me. www.dynotunecolorado.com
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Bitter Italian

Why dallas? With all do respect.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Why dallas? With all do respect.
Why not? LOL... Have a sister here who's soon to have a baby. This is one of the easiest transitions for me to get serious with the sport. Also, Colorado Springs, Co... There is a huge difference! DFW also has the most Mustang's registered through the DMV via RL Polk 2005'. I would like to someday franchise my company back home to here. I have a lot of great accounts I can't let go to waste, i.e., Precision Turbo & Engine WD, 50resto, AFM, Procharger WD , Turbo People, Wolfe Racecraft, & Hellion just to name a few... So all in all, good question, seems like a smart, logistical thing to do.
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompBoost
Why not? LOL... Have a sister here who's soon to have a baby. This is one of the easiest transitions for me to get serious with the sport. Also, Colorado Springs, Co... There is a huge difference! DFW also has the most Mustang's registered through the DMV via RL Polk 2005'. I would like to someday franchise my company back home to here. I have a lot of great accounts I can't let go to waste, i.e., Precision Turbo & Engine WD, 50resto, AFM, Procharger WD , Turbo People, Wolfe Racecraft, & Hellion just to name a few... So all in all, good question, seems like a smart, logistical thing to do.

In regards to family and business yes Dallas is a wise choice. If were talking location for just furthering you training; Cali, Vegas, and Florida would be much better choices.

Btw you want Lutter for grappling and Val @ southeast Asian academy for MT.

Happy to help.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Btw you want Lutter for grappling and Val @ southeast Asian academy for MT.
According to Cung Le, Tomer Litvin is amongst the best Muay Thai instructors in the US & was trained by Master Chai & is Fairtex certified. I forgot he's at Siam Star in Plano.
I really think it's up to the individual & work ethic associated. As far as CA, NV, & FL are concerned, what is this based off? What about Miletich Fighting Systems out of Ohio & Jackson's MMA in NM? These camps are certainly Top Notch & have both put out way more prosperous fighters than Xteme Couture or The Pit. I've been to many camps, & believe me when I say the Metroplex Is Not Lacking Anything offered for MMA!!! Marcus Hicks (www.marcushicks.com) is set to fight Jamie Varner for the WEC 35 Lightweight Belt on August 3 on Spike live. Both Lutter (Ultimate Fighter Winner) & Marcus Hick's are both BJJ Blackbelts under Carlos Machado.
Do you have contact info on the SE Asian Academy? Where are they located? Love to check them out while I'm here...-Jay
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I'm from Colorado Springs, Co & came to the DFW area specifically for MMA training. There is a lot to offer in the area. I'm currently training at Guy Mezger's Combat Club in Addison (Lion's Den Dallas) & Hick's MMA in Lewisville. Both are top notch camps from what I have experienced. I plan on checking out Travis Lutter's camp in Ft. Worth, heard he actually has two locations, & also Carlos Machado's BJJ in Farmer's Branch (Internationally Known). I have a partenership in a shop back home, I plan on leaving that behind & starting out fresh over here to focus on MMA. Hope there's a lot of hardcore Mustang enthusiast out here, I have a few toys I'd like to bring with me. www.dynotunecolorado.com
One of my best friends who happened to make the US olympic judo team this year lives and trains in Colorado Spring, Co. From what I understand there are some great places to train up there.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

There are good camps all over the US. Do what do bro and don't worry about those who criticize.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
There are good camps all over the US. Do what do bro and don't worry about those who criticize.

Dude nobodys criticizing him, I wish him the best of luck. All I did was ask a simple question, why dallas? He gave me two great reasons why, his family(which should be the #1 reason) and work being number two. I thought he came here for the single purpose of furthering his training to which I pointed out the top three places people choose now days. I gave my oppinion on who I feel the two best in the area are. Its just my two cents, take it for what its worth.

Quote:
Do you have contact info on the SE Asian Academy? Where are they located? Love to check them out while I'm here...-Jay
val is right off 35 and Royal. Here is his contact info http://www.geocities.com/seaamadallas/

Again, no way was I knockin you man just asking a simple question. Best of luck to ya.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
One of my best friends who happened to make the US olympic judo team this year lives and trains in Colorado Spring, Co. From what I understand there are some great places to train up there.
Yeah, the Olympic Training Center (OTC) & we train there from time to time. You can make the best of anyplace you live. With that being said, you have to be really outgoing from my experience on running a shop. It's really hard to make free time to actually train, & especially the way you really should. I figure if I stay there, I may never have a good run at a possible career as a fighter. Yesterday I was 20 & tomorrow I'll be 30. I'd hate to be 35 and wonder "What If" or feel "I Should Have". I've prospected & researched this thoroughly, I love it here & would love to represent DFW. I truly believe this is my best destination of making something happen. Oh yeah, I'm a huge Cowboy's fan also. Thanx Wario, I'll view the link & do my best to check it out. -Jay
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Yeah, the Olympic Training Center (OTC) & we train there from time to time. You can make the best of anyplace you live. With that being said, you have to be really outgoing from my experience on running a shop. It's really hard to make free time to actually train, & especially the way you really should. I figure if I stay there, I may never have a good run at a possible career as a fighter. Yesterday I was 20 & tomorrow I'll be 30. I'd hate to be 35 and wonder "What If" or feel "I Should Have". I've prospected & researched this thoroughly, I love it here & would love to represent DFW. I truly believe this is my best destination of making something happen. Oh yeah, I'm a huge Cowboy's fan also. Thanx Wario, I'll view the link & do my best to check it out. -Jay
Did you ever make it up to Denver to train with Bang or Nate Marquardt? There is a lot of good MMA and BJJ around here. I know (and have trained with) some of the RIng of Fire fighters up here.

Did you fight in any of the local shows? I might have seen you.

Good luck in your training. It takes a special kind of person to make that commitment. I respect you for it.

Buying dogs kills.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Wow, I'm not a big poster on forums... I really just like to pick & read post, hardly ever reply. I'm here in Flower Mound & have this "free time" to whatever & here I am again talkin' Mustangs & MMA. I really had no idea a post would really receive so much response. Thanx everyone for all the replies & support.
Quote:
Did you ever make it up to Denver to train with Bang or Nate Marquardt? There is a lot of good MMA and BJJ around here. I know (and have trained with) some of the RIng of Fire fighters up here.

Did you fight in any of the local shows? I might have seen you.

Good luck in your training. It takes a special kind of person to make that commitment. I respect you for it.
Yeah, I know a lot of Ring Of Fire guys... Are you in the Co area? Never trained with Nate or Bang, but they are both studs... I have met Nate & Duane before in various events/seminars.
Hate name dropping though, send me a PM, especially if your in Co...
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Both Lutter (Ultimate Fighter Winner) & Marcus Hick's are both BJJ Blackbelts under Carlos Machado.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that Hicks is belted under Mohler.

post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Lifer

He is, and no offense to him. He is nothing compared to Travis, I went to a couple of his classes. Great instrucor and a super nice guy. I am in Alabama right now, training with team revolution. I am enjoying it right now but I miss texas
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11sec4eyes
He is, and no offense to him. He is nothing compared to Travis, I went to a couple of his classes. Great instrucor and a super nice guy. I am in Alabama right now, training with team revolution. I am enjoying it right now but I miss texas
I have not met Travis, but from what I hear, I would agree. Hicks is a machine though, his conditioning is pretty sick.

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I have not met Travis, but from what I hear, I would agree. Hicks is a machine though, his conditioning is pretty sick.
yeah he has been beaten on a couple of times and still comes away with the w so he is doing something right. Out here there is a huge MMA seen but it is not very well known, I am training to make a fight in Sept. or Oct. Just depends if the card gets the amount of fights they need. Strange, by I am amped.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

[QUOTE]Out here there is a huge MMA seen but it is not very well known

Tennessee or DFW?
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Lifer

[QUOTE=CompBoost]
Quote:
Out here there is a huge MMA seen but it is not very well known

Tennessee or DFW?
No, I am in Alabama. There isnt really much else out here to do lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement