Here we go again... Iraqi diet. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Out

Here we go again... Iraqi diet.

My last tour of Iraq, I went from 208lbs to 159lbs, then back to about 175lbs all within 14 months.

During my initial drop, it had nothing to do with what I ate since my diet really didn't change from here in the states other than switching from Dr Peppers to Diet Cokes. I di drink more water than usual just because I had to (I normally don't drink ANY water). I was down almost 50lbs within 4 months because I actually worked my ass of in 120-140* heat, sometimes in chemical suits, 12-14 hours a day. It was a given that I would drop weight. I still ate about the same, though.

My second 4 months, I began working out a little and eating more fruits/veggies and almost nothing fried. I even went to just a few Diet Cokes a day and drank more water and/or Crystal light. My work-out was mostly cardio (35-45 minutes) then a few sets of 3 or 4 different weighted work-outs (rotating schedule). Every day. I gained 15-20 pounds and still lost another inch or so on my waist. It was actually the best shape I was in ever.

My last 6 months, I backed off work-outs to every once or twice a week, if that. Jumped back on the Diet Coke thing and worked less (physically) because our base was moving into a sustainment mission and all the hard work was pretty much done, not to mention we had a lot more people working. I gained a few more pounds, but you could tell my muscle mass was shrinking dramatically and my waist filled up again.

I was in the States for three years and downing Dr Peppers like they were going out of style (heaven forbid). Ate more than I ever did before, got a cush management job (little labor, but some walking). Ballooned up to 214lbs and had to buy new clothes. I eventually went BACK to Diet Cokes and during a 10 week bet with some people at work, I managed to starve myself down to 183lbs. Been about that way until April 08.

I've been in Iraq over a month now. I came into country 187lbs. I'm still crushing about 8 Diet Coke cans a day, but I'm drinking more water too. I haven't cut back on the eating and my work-load is more of an administrative position (consultant) than anything, except for emergewncy responses. I'm hitting the weight room daily (sometimes twice) with very little cardio. My problem is that I'm dropping weight, but not growing in muscle mass like I did last time. I have a good all-around rotation going for weights and I try to lift as much as possible while maintaining 3 to four sets of 8 reps. If I go lighter, I'll increase my # of reps, but I want to build a little more mass. If I go heavier, my reps will go down. I'm definately losing the waist, but I've been mostly focusing on chest, shoulders, arms, legs and back. I dedicate a couple days a week to a little more cardio and abs, but I feel it's at least needed to keep somewhat of a balance.

Is my only other alternative some sort of muscle mass chemical drink or something? That's been the only suggestions I've got from here. This place reeks of protien shakes and Decca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Lifer

You'll build muscle with protein. Eat some grilled chicken, fish, lean beef, etc. Protein shakes won't kill you.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Lifer

You never mentioned what you have been eating, just that your habits haven't changed

Judging by your choice of beverage, I can't imagine it's a real good diet.

You need some protein I would guess, you can get that from meat, beans etc, or through supps.

Get rid of the empty calories and shitty filler that all those cokes are giving you ( not to mention the havoc being reaked on your kidneys if it's all you drink with no water)

--wes

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Out

Breakfast- 0530hrs
Two eggs, over hard, 2 strips of bacon, one hash brown, two cans of V8.

Lunch- 1130hrs
Wheat wrap with Turkey, lettuce, jalapinos and a Diet Coke or water.

Dinner- 1700hrs
Either the main meat plate (usually beef of some sort and pasta), veggies (typical mixed from a can type), something like a potato or rice, and a Diet COke (or two).

Throughout the day, I really don't eat anything else. I'll just drink either Diet Coke or water. I know I need to kick this Coke shit, but FUCK!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Out

BTW, this is exactly the same shit I eat every day. It's like I'm Bill Murry in Groundhog Day. I know I need to be eating more, but it's hard when it's 120-140* or more and have no appitite.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Breakfast- 0530hrs
Two eggs, over hard, 2 strips of bacon, one hash brown, two cans of V8.

Lunch- 1130hrs
Wheat wrap with Turkey, lettuce, jalapinos and a Diet Coke or water.

Dinner- 1700hrs
Either the main meat plate (usually beef of some sort and pasta), veggies (typical mixed from a can type), something like a potato or rice, and a Diet COke (or two).

Throughout the day, I really don't eat anything else. I'll just drink either Diet Coke or water. I know I need to kick this Coke shit, but FUCK!

That's not too bad actually. I think cutting the cokes would of course help, but they do taste damn good......lol

It actually looks like you don't get a lot of carbs, your body needs them for fuel if you are active.....try eating some pastas and such to increase the "good" carb intake.

I used to have a diet similar to yours but have since moved to a 4-5 meal a day system. I find that I'm pretty much never hungry and I don't eat nearly as much. I started this about 3 weeks ago and feel it's helping quite a bit.

I started my current workout regimen about the same time as the Body transformation thread that some of the guys here competed in. I should have entered, I saw a lot of change/improvement during that time frame. I'm down from about 215 and about 18% BF....I've trimmed down all around and increased lean muscle by quite a bit. I weighed in for my BJJ tourney on Fri at 195 with 15% BF. I've lost essentially 20lbs and increased muscle mass/definition considerably, anyone that sees me regularly can attest to it. I actually had a hard time moving below 205 until starting the new eating schedule and I burn a lot of calories a day with my workouts and then BJJ at night.

Best of luck and keep your head down over there.

--wes
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Out

Thanks. It's just hard to eat anything when you're so fucking hot. Screw the bad guys. I think they had enough of the weather too. We're having record temperatures and sand storms. I haven't had to flee to a bunker in almost three weeks!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Oooooooh-whee

You're drinking enough Diet Cokes to make my stomach turn. I can't imagine how unbearably hot it is there, but you've got to replace a couple of those soda's with some calories and protein. I don't know what supplements you have access to over there, but you might try and find a protein shake that's got a lighter flavor to it other than a chocolate or vanilla, something fruit flavored, that has 150-250 calories, around 25g of protein, some bcaa's, etc. Basically some substance. Maybe mix it up with some ice to help it seem more refreshing than a chore to drink.

I'm sure Greg knows of one that might be more along the lines of a water and crystal light type consistency.

Actually, even the muscle milk light chocolate with ice and water is very smooth, but I don't know that I would want it when it's 120 degrees out.

8/16/05
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks. It's just hard to eat anything when you're so fucking hot. Screw the bad guys. I think they had enough of the weather too. We're having record temperatures and sand storms. I haven't had to flee to a bunker in almost three weeks!

Yeah, I hear you. Keep in mind these "meals" can be snacks, anything really. I like to do fruit (a banana, orange, apple etc) and some PB crackers or a protein bar/granola bar. It doesn't have to be, and really shouldn't be a full "meal"

--wes
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
You're drinking enough Diet Cokes to make my stomach turn. I can't imagine how unbearably hot it is there, but you've got to replace a couple of those soda's with some calories and protein. I don't know what supplements you have access to over there, but you might try and find a protein shake that's got a lighter flavor to it other than a chocolate or vanilla, something fruit flavored, that has 150-250 calories, around 25g of protein, some bcaa's, etc. Basically some substance. Maybe mix it up with some ice to help it seem more refreshing than a chore to drink.

I'm sure Greg knows of one that might be more along the lines of a water and crystal light type consistency.

Actually, even the muscle milk light chocolate with ice and water is very smooth, but I don't know that I would want it when it's 120 degrees out.
We've got just about every supplement I've ever heard and more. Hell, there's a shit-ton of these fuckers juicing as well. Nothing but wired fucks throwing up plates... ah, to feel safe.

I would definately need something with next-to-water consistancy. All that other shit would probably just come back up.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Worship me

8 reps is too much. Do some weight. Do the exercises that count too, deadlift, squat, barbell bench press, barbell curl. Anything after those is icing on the cake but that is how you build mass quickly. Your last set on any of those three exercises should be 3-4 reps. If you want to grow extra fast, get a spotter and get some negatives in.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
8 reps is too much. Do some weight. Do the exercises that count too, deadlift, squat, barbell bench press, barbell curl. Anything after those is icing on the cake but that is how you build mass quickly. Your last set on any of those three exercises should be 3-4 reps. If you want to grow extra fast, get a spotter and get some negatives in.
8 is too much? I weighted up just to get them down from 12ish.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
8 is too much? I weighted up just to get them down from 12ish.
Do 5-6. Like Al said, get some negatives in if you can. Count 6 seconds on the way down. Don whipped my ass with those things at first, but now I love them.

8/16/05
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Crossfit

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Hired Hand

5-6 is great for strenght, but 8-10 is best for muscular hypertrophy. I'd reccomend switching between the two rep ranges every 2 to 3 weeks. That said, you can't build muscle without fuel. From what I'm reading, you're eating enought to maintain a 180lb body, you'll need a bit more (primarily protein) to actually add lean mass.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P

Yes sir...

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
5-6 is great for strenght, but 8-10 is best for muscular hypertrophy. I'd reccomend switching between the two rep ranges every 2 to 3 weeks. That said, you can't build muscle without fuel. From what I'm reading, you're eating enought to maintain a 180lb body, you'll need a bit more (primarily protein) to actually add lean mass.
I agree with the need for more than just low rep workouts. If you want an attractive physique, 4-6 reps all the time is not the way to do it. You need to have not only high weight reps in there, but low weight/high rep exercises, and supersets.

And just like everyone else, up your protein a little. Just don't go overboard... despite what some people tell you, there is such thing as too much protein.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Out

OK... lifting heavier with fewer reps is definately a different result in the morning. I can barely lift a bottle of water without feeling the previous night's work-out. So, I see where resting those muscles is needed. What if I were to hit the weights just as hard and be sore the next morning, but by nightfall (when I work-out), they're not sore anymore? Can I hit them again, or is a resting period necessary even though they're not sore?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
OK... lifting heavier with fewer reps is definately a different result in the morning. I can barely lift a bottle of water without feeling the previous night's work-out. So, I see where resting those muscles is needed. What if I were to hit the weights just as hard and be sore the next morning, but by nightfall (when I work-out), they're not sore anymore? Can I hit them again, or is a resting period necessary even though they're not sore?

Let them rest 3 days. Do 2 muscles a day and you wont overlap.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Let them rest 3 days. Do 2 muscles a day and you wont overlap.
Gotcha... oh, and the appetite is increasing already. It's crazy how two days can change so drastically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement