Good women's routine? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Good women's routine?

My wife is wanting to work out regularly, and has basically zero workout/sports experience.

I know lots of weight training and exercise info, but only as it pertains to me, so I could use some help easing her into a routine, and making it a good one.

I'm trying not to crowd her with too much info, at least at first, so I'm starting with rough concepts. Stuff like...
if you can do more than 12 reps, you're not doing enough weight
for multiple sets, do enough weight to go 12-8-5(ish) reps
I have a few non-weight exercises like mountain climbers and those Y-things that you do against the wall that work your back. What else?
she has giant cans, so running/jogging is out of the question (fuck you, no pics) Stair climber? Anything else?
squats are a big player. Start her out on the smith machine?
Form above all else is paramount.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
My wife is wanting to work out regularly, and has basically zero workout/sports experience.

I know lots of weight training and exercise info, but only as it pertains to me, so I could use some help easing her into a routine, and making it a good one.

I'm trying not to crowd her with too much info, at least at first, so I'm starting with rough concepts. Stuff like...
I have a few non-weight exercises like mountain climbers and those Y-things that you do against the wall that work your back. What else?
she has giant cans, so running/jogging is out of the question (fuck you, no pics) Stair climber? Anything else?

Well what kind of shape is she in to begin with, and the whole big can thing isnt whats keeping her from running, my wife has DD's and runs 4-5 miles a day. If you are wanting her to get bigger than yeah sure your stuff you said, but if you want her to get toned, have her do cardio and less weight more reps, not that whole if you can do more than 12 reps its not enough weight.

If you would like my wife works out twice a day, shes a size 0 and is very toned with nice abs. So you can pm me and i will fill you in on her workouts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright_94z28
If you would like my wife works out twice a day, shes a size 0 and is very toned with nice abs. So you can pm me and i will fill you in on her workouts.
I think we're gonna need to see pics.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I would too LOL im in Iraq and the only ones i have are ones you guys will never be setting eyes on
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

MS paint over the good stuff.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
MS paint over the good stuff.
LOL i will have to think about it.

There were some of her on here from a while back before she stared working out.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

stairmaster is a GREAT workout

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
stairmaster is a GREAT workout
Stairmill is a BETTER workout

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Well, she's obviously not going for mass, but I figured if she added a little muscle, it would help with the metabolism and overall fitness. I just didn't want her to be throwing the 2.5 lb dumb bells around like the women I've seen in the gym, and expect that she's going to see any kind of results.

Quote:
Well what kind of shape is she in to begin with, and the whole big can thing isnt whats keeping her from running, my wife has DD's and runs 4-5 miles a day.
She's got some spare baby weight still, and doesn't have much in the way of an athletic history. She looks fantastic considering her sedentary history, but knows that she's got to do more than lifting a baby as she gets older.

I don't care about the cans/running issue. I said it as an absolute truth because that's what she says. She says it's painful, and straight up refuses that kind of cardio. It's nice for you and your wife that it isn't an issue, but my wife can not be talked out of this one. Period, end of story.

Quote:
His wife is unbelievably hot. Seriously.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:

You need to be more specific about her goals. "some baby weight' can be 5-10lbs or 20-30lbs. Each of those would require completely different routines to help get to her goal faster. If shes looking to lose weight, i would not be giving her the concepts that you did. Toning that might work, but you need to do some different things with the weights(and the 2.5lb weights might be what she needs).

All comes down to her. her goals, her strength, her endurance.

my opinion. start off easy with 6-7 exercises 2-3 sets of 15 total body. 20 seconds rest between sets. cardio at a fast walk for 40-60/day atleast 5 days a week.

she will see results, and after about a month you can switch up the routine to shake it up.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Lifer

Quote:

PM sent!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
You need to be more specific about her goals. "some baby weight' can be 5-10lbs or 20-30lbs. Each of those would require completely different routines to help get to her goal faster. If shes looking to lose weight, i would not be giving her the concepts that you did. Toning that might work, but you need to do some different things with the weights(and the 2.5lb weights might be what she needs).

All comes down to her. her goals, her strength, her endurance.

my opinion. start off easy with 6-7 exercises 2-3 sets of 15 total body. 20 seconds rest between sets. cardio at a fast walk for 40-60/day atleast 5 days a week.

she will see results, and after about a month you can switch up the routine to shake it up.
Well, I'm honestly not sure to evaluate that. I'm guessing somewhere around 15-20lbs to lose. And like I said, I have no experience with this type of training, that's why I'm looking for some help.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM

I was in the same boat when my wife decided to join the gym with me; after arguing with her a few times in the gym lol and her trying to come up with something on the net we just got her a couple of sessions with one of the female personal trainers at the gym. She helped her come up with a program to meet her goals and showed her how to use the equipment etc. Price wasn't too bad since it was only a few sessions and the frist was free with her membership.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Well, I found this, and seems to back up the # of reps/weight, but stresses that it only be in the "strongest range of motion". Which, I suppose could help to not strain smaller joints and weaker tendons. Make sense?

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...tness_tip.html

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

When I was taking a conditioning class at school the instructor said that female routines don't even really have to vary that much from male routines. Unless a woman is supplementing, she should maintain a feminine physique even when she lifts weights. Just my .02.

Still waiting on pics.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Racist....that means you!

Hey bro, ao is any type of aerobics or tae bo is great for women. Lighter weights and high reps to get some strength built up in her and just plenty of cardio. Cardio sucks, but that is a quick way to a firm body, and also swimming. Swimming is the end all be all of getting fit.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
When I was taking a conditioning class at school the instructor said that female routines don't even really have to vary that much from male routines. Unless a woman is supplementing, she should maintain a feminine physique even when she lifts weights. Just my .02.

Still waiting on pics.
LOL, yeaaaaaaa right!
Maybe for a big fattie that might be correct.
I would have my girl workin that ass out all the time, then when she came home...
I would give her ass a good waxin!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Racist....that means you!

I would honestly avoid getting her into lifting heavy weights. That is a quick way to burn her out. Get her some medium weights and high reps and make sure she has good form.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Rookie

Put her in one of those body works classes. The cardio with little dumbells. That's the one my wife likes.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Stairmill is a BETTER workout
thats the one Im talking about. My gym's machine is made by Stairmaster

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
thats the one Im talking about. My gym's machine is made by Stairmaster
Whasa difference?

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Whasa difference?
stairmill: revolving set of stairs

stairmaster:

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Lifer

Stairmill = Tower of PAIN!!!
Stairmaster = girls machine
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM
mannish boy

YOGA!!

my wife does step, running, and yoga, and the yoga has probably tightened her up the most... maybe it's just putting muscle in the right places?

I've done yoga in the past, and I highly recomend it for ANYONE... the key is finding a good teacher/class... some of it is pure junk, but I still use it to this day if I've got something that's giving me trouble.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
YOGA!!

my wife does step, running, and yoga, and the yoga has probably tightened her up the most... maybe it's just putting muscle in the right places?

I've done yoga in the past, and I highly recomend it for ANYONE... the key is finding a good teacher/class... some of it is pure junk, but I still use it to this day if I've got something that's giving me trouble.
Word. A chick friend of mine does/instructs Yoga and I've never seen an ass like that on a girl so little. She's toned as fuck and tiny with an ass that won't quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement