I need a little calorie vs. carb info. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Rambling Man

I need a little calorie vs. carb info.

Currently I am 29 and weighing 210 lbs. I am 6'1" and from using the calculator in another thread I am around 17% body fat. I started paying attention to what I eat about 8 months ago, but I hit a wall as far as weight loss was going. I re-evaluated what I was eating and started back up with weight lifting in my spare time. I don't go to a gym, but I do have a gold's gym weight machine upstairs here at work. I will go up there in between customers to do what I can. When I started out with lifting again I was weighing 205. I noticed some more fat coming off, but I am figuring that my muscles have probably started to retain some water, thus raising my weight back up. I also just recently started using Ripped Man ( here's a link to it : http://www.herbalremedies.com/fat-burner-2.html ).

My main question is how should I view my calorie and carb intake. My regular meals now are a Sirloin steak and egg burrito from JITB for breakfast, a tuna & vegetable sandwich with a protien smoothie for lunch, and a very light dinner.

I just noticed today that the burrito has 52 grams of carbs but only 730 calories. I am figuring my caloric intake to be around 1900 calories a day, but I am worried about the carbs due to that huge hut first thing in the morning.

My daily activities, aside from working out in my spare time, are still active as i fill propane bottles and I am required to do quite a bit of lifting.

I really can't gain anymore wieght as 210 is the threshold for avoiding knee and back pains. I need to lose some more fat before I can gain anymore muscle, but I don't know enough about carbs and calories to know whether or not I utilizing them or if it is turning to fat.

Also, is there a surefire at burner or is the supplement I'm taking now sufficient. I just began to take it about 4 days ago. I will also be starting up an ab workout real soon.

FUCK CANADA AND THEIR BULLSHIT WAYS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

According to a calorie calculator you need between 2500-2800 calories to sustain your daily work. Really sit down and count your calories over a day and see what you are eating. If you are drinking sodas and eating snacks, they add up fast.

If you eat carbs, you should always have a good protein source (or fat...protein is better) with it. The protein (or fat) will delay the peak glucose levels in your body making it so your body doesnt have as high of an insulin spike. When your body does have an insulin spike to control the blood glucose, the body will start storing fat. This is part of the reason most diabetics are usually overweight. Their body cannot produce enough insulin to stomp down the high glucose level so insulin is supplemented and creates a spike.

Start eating cleaner foods. The tortilla in the burrito is killing you. High amount of crappy carbs. Try eating a cup of oatmeal in the morning. The best thing you can do is eat 6 small meals a day...healthy SMALL meals. This is how I eat everyday:

7am - 1 cup oatmeal w/ 1 cup milk, 2tbsp honey (taste and calories)
9am - Detour protein bar
10am - pre-workout drink (super pump 250)
11am - post-workout protein shake
12:30pm - 1/2 chicken breast (12oz) on 2 slices of multigrain bread w/ ketchup or ranch...something and 1 serving of bagel chips
3pm - smoothie... 4 strawberries, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1 banana, 1tbsp splenda, 2 tbsp honey, 24oz ice, 1/2c milk
5pm - Detour protein bar
7pm - something for dinner...always in a conservative amount
9:30pm - protein shake (evo pro)

Good clean diet and keeps my body from trying to store everything from fat. Im eating right at 2500 cals/day, 200g protein. It sounds like a lot of food and hard to do...but its not. Switch around the meals to when you work out, and take something portable for the snacks while you are at work. Drink lots of water and cut all the sodas (unless you drink diet).

Then biggest part of losing weight... CARDIO. Get your butt on a treadmill, stairmaster, ellipital, or hell, just go out and jog. As gay as it sounds, do tae bo at night. You need something to wear down the calories. Its not healthy to stop eating and not exercise, your body will go into catabolism and start breaking down muscle.

I should have your ab workout dvd out today. Do it 3 times a week. Im going to get you a copy of the other cardio based workouts so you can do those too

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rambling Man

I appreciate it Tim. I really didn't think I would need that many calories, but I have been looking up whatever I can to understand how they work. I had a clue, but nothing concrete. My knees and back can't handle jogging, but I can ride a bike and walk for days. I just need to get rid of the off-road tires and get a new seat. I use the stairs as a workout tool whenever I can.

I'll be looking forward to the DVD's. I especially need to work on my cardio and build up some better stamina. Right now I have great bursts of strength, but I have realized I'm not 18 anymore as far as staying power goes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

no problem man...Im no pro but I have done lots of research on stuff like this because Im trying to lose weight while gaining muscle. My girlfriend is type1 diabetic so I have learned a lot about carbs and how they effect the body as well as insulin.

If you have access to one, try and elliptical..they are way softer on the knees than jogging.

Check your PM's

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Rambling Man

Got the PM. I don't have access to an elliptical at the moment, but once I get a few irons out of the fire I want to join a gym so I will access to a trainer that can help me understand how to shape up muscle groups. I have to take baby steps for now, but it will all add up in the end.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr
I just noticed today that the burrito has 52 grams of carbs but only 730 calories. I am figuring my caloric intake to be around 1900 calories a day, but I am worried about the carbs due to that huge hut first thing in the morning.
Fuck the carbs, over half of thoes calories are from fat!

You should monitor caloric intake but also break it down by protein, carbs and fat. Many people start at a 40/40/20 percentage split for those 3 things and tweak from there.

Remember, 1g protein = 4 cal, 1g carb = 4 cal, 1g fat = 9 cal.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 06-02-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement