fitness guru's extreme desert conidtion questions... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

fitness guru's extreme desert conidtion questions...

so my field camp for geology is going into the west for 1 1/2 months leaving in two weeks, i know that it will be extreme with just the hiking and the hot weather by itself but i had a few questions that i was going to see if i could get answered
basic info:
im about 6'2
17% body fat
43% MM
@ 176 pounds

i was wanting to use the situation as a catalyst to shape up a bit, now the daily duties will include carrying 50+ pound pack daily while hiking up and down mountains all day long basically, backpacking for a few weeks on end in some places
question 1:
i was going to see if someone could think of a good just daily or semi daily workout to tone up while out here
-like a combo of dips pushups situps or anything of the sort- no weights will be involved since there will be none anywhere, like a rocky type work out!

question #2- i know food intake will be extremely different than i am used too so not only do i need to intake a ton more since i will be burning so much more off on a daily basis, was also wondering what to eat, lunch and snacks will all be backpacked with us in, has to be something that will sustain 100 degree heat for hours in a bag, and need a lot of it!
most nights we will have a camp setup and be able to cook, so fuller meals at night

ANY input what so ever will be greatly appreciated on either topic and i know not to push it too much out there also because of the weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Never settle always excel

Granola bars hold up well in arid climates but I learned in Saudi Arabia that skittles glob into a brick LOL. The fact you will be burning way more calories than you currently do will cause you to burn fat. As for easy to fix foods, ramen noodles will be a great to take, they have carbs which you will need to fuel up if you will be hiking, also multi-vitamins help. Water is an obvious idea, stay away from soda most people don't realize the average person intakes 20% of their daily calories through fluids such as soda and milk. Take some crakers(salted) your will need to keep you salt and potasium levels up to prevent cramps. Peanut butter and jelly is a good lunch idea, wheat bread is good idea as well. I would eat breakfast, mid morning snack( peantuts, sun flower seeds, etc.) lunch sandwhich with peanut butter crackers etc. mid afternoon snack (dried fruit, trail mix) dinner ramen noodles, canned chili, soup, etc. then a night time snack if you feel hungry. It gets cold at night in desert type areas due to the tempature change. It may be 70-75 at night but when you're used to operating in 95-105 degree temps a 20 to 30 degree drop in temp is very noticeable, pack a medium jacket, gloves and watch cap just in case you get cold. I hope this helps I haven't operated in a desert climate in over 10 years so this was off the top of my head. Oh yeah take a dress sock for cooling you water. If out an about during the day you slide a bottle of water in the sock then wet the sock down with another bottle of water, then wait for the sock to dry in the wind, it will cool the water to be a pleasant treat in the heat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

awesome input thats so much!
ive already cut cokes out completely all juices, water and Gatorade for me already, trying to prep a little ahead of time!
ill have to try that sock water cooling thing...never heard of that! i figured day diet would be mostly granola, peanut butter, crackers, peanuts and that sort...mres worth anything?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Take a box of steel cut oats. They are instant energy, and are SO good for you. Beef jerky is hard to beat for a protein source while traveling. Another great food for fighting cramps, etc is freeze dried bananas.

As far as a workout I would do a crossfit type workout (crossfit.com), but i am biased, for instance.... 100 squats (air, no weight) 100 push ups, and 100 burpees. You will be dead tired after doing that. Take as long as you need, just make sure to complete them all. In that heat you will need a drink every 12 minutes and maybe more if you are at a good pace.. a small drink like that can keep you hydrated for the long haul. It is a lot easier to maintain hydration than it is to combat a cramp after you have it already!

Lastly, make sure you are not taking brand new boots with you. You need to wear some shoes that you know you won't be miserable in 10 miles into the hike. So many people go buy brand new shoes only to ind out that they should have broke them in first..

Good luck

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM

buy a wieght vest from wal-mart and leave it on thoughout tha day run with it workout with it. it will strengthen ur back which ul need lugging around a 50 pound bag. try running in intervals sprinting for as long as u can then resting until till ur ready. itl expand ur lungs which gives u more endurance
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

awesome! great input, i have been working out IE running stairs with my pack on for a few weeks to get in shape just for the basics of it all, and do already have broken in boots!

slashstang - never heard of steel cut oats? or a burpees?(may get laughed at for that not sure)
will definitely try the continuous drinking thing out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary

slashstang - never heard of steel cut oats? or a burpees?(may get laughed at for that not sure)
will definitely try the continuous drinking thing out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee ( you have done them, just don't know them by this term)

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee ( you have done them, just don't know them by this term)
ahh genious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement