any personal trainers in here - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

any personal trainers in here

I am 5' 7" and 185lbs. I am trying to get down to 170. shouldn't be too hard, but I actually started at 195. I am healthy, though dealing with diabetes. I currently work out 3 times a week for about an hour. As a car salesman working sales hours, i don't get off at five and get 2 to 3 hrs to work out

I usually start out doing 6- 3 minute rds on the bags with one minute rest in between.

Then a 6 station circuit. One minute rounds moving immediately to the next station. with a one minute rest after completing all six station. done 3 times.

1.jumping side to side over a punching bag
2.squat thrust(but legs are spread like an MMA sprawl) as soon as you come up... you go back down
3.rope jumping as fast as you can
4.from a squat holding a 16lb med ball , stand, reach up, and jump, then back to a squat. I hate this one
5. alternating offset pushups using a cinder block
6.high knee up downs, with alot of up downs

Then it is 7 minutes of abs, doing a different ab excercise every minute non-stop.

It helped me lose weight fast at first but now I am hitting a plateau. I am not fat, my abs are starting to show and I have good size arms and shoulders. But I played soccer for years and I have bigger legs and calves and don't know if I will have to do something to make em smaller or what.
Can anyone help. Different excercises? Diet I don't eat many carbs because of blood sugar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Rookie

I'd give input but im not a personal trainer.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Bitter Italian

where did you come up with this workout?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Hired Hand

To burn fat you need to take a closer look at your diet, and add cardio for atleast 20 minutes, 4-5 days a week.

Oh yeah, I'm not a trainer either, so I probably have no clue as to what I'm talking about...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

damn smart asses, just wondering if anyone was knowledgeable in this. It could almost be as risky as asking for credit advice from people here.

I just do this to keep from doing the same ole boring treadmill and other cardio type workout. I have neuropathy(from diabetes) so running for about 5 minutes or more makes my feet go numb, and that is not good for running. So who cares where it comes from, it is more excercise than most do, and out of an hour, less than 15 minutes is resting.

So to rephrase for the uncertified guru's. any good, reliable advice is helpful.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
where did you come up with this workout?

my instructor Wade Pomeroy(not a personal trainer)who is a 4th degree tkd blk belt, jj black belt, former army combatives competitor, current army combatives instructor, coach of the following: Ring Rulers 2008 155lb Grand Prix Winner; 2008 Arklatex 175 lb Champ; 2008 ISCF Iowa Natl 155lb Champ, and about to coach one to the Championship in the Lubbock tournament on May24. Those are just the recent ones.

Not that i though who came up with it is important, but you asked. He is just a small east texas guy with small east texas guys winning a good majority of the mma competitions they go to. check em out at team515.com

i'm not being an ass. just answering a question. These are good guys just trying to help keep me in shape. check out the website, invite them to a mma event. They are classy and they win with dignity and lose with dignity.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboy91
my instructor Wade Pomeroy(not a personal trainer)who is a 4th degree tkd blk belt, jj black belt, former army combatives competitor, current army combatives instructor, coach of the following: Ring Rulers 2008 155lb Grand Prix Winner; 2008 Arklatex 175 lb Champ; 2008 ISCF Iowa Natl 155lb Champ, and about to coach one to the Championship in the Lubbock tournament on May24. Those are just the recent ones.

Not that i though who came up with it is important, but you asked. He is just a small east texas guy with small east texas guys winning a good majority of the mma competitions they go to. check em out at team515.com

i'm not being an ass. just answering a question. These are good guys just trying to help keep me in shape. check out the website, invite them to a mma event. They are classy and they win with dignity and lose with dignity.
Super.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
damn smart asses, just wondering if anyone was knowledgeable in this. It could almost be as risky as asking for credit advice from people here.

I just do this to keep from doing the same ole boring treadmill and other cardio type workout. I have neuropathy(from diabetes) so running for about 5 minutes or more makes my feet go numb, and that is not good for running. So who cares where it comes from, it is more excercise than most do, and out of an hour, less than 15 minutes is resting.

So to rephrase for the uncertified guru's. any good, reliable advice is helpful.
Running is what works for me, as indoor cardio tends to get monotonous, and my ADD takes over. Since you can't because of your neuropathy, find something else such as the elliptical trainer, swimming, biking, or whatever that you can do consistently for 20 minutes to an hour a day. My guess is that your plateau is a combination of eating too much/too little and not getting your heartrate into the fat burning zone for a long enough period of time. Getting your heartrate too high will have an anaerobic effect which doesn't allow for enough oxygen in the muscles to adequately oxidize adipose tissue (fat) for fuel, and will go for your glycogen and muscle instead. Having your heart rate too low simply won't burn enough calories in the alloted time to get through your glycogen stores to begin burning fat as fuel, so there is a medium ground that works best in terms of burning fat. I usually get to a point that breathing becomes a little heavier, but I can still say a sentence or two before I begin huffing. If you can chat it up you should speed up, and if your lungs are burning slow down.

Everything you listed above is explosive in nature, and great for power, but not so much for burning fat. In terms of your goal, that time would be better spend in an aerobics class (since you can't run) to keep boredom to a minimum, or monitoring your heart rate on a stationary bike or elliptical trainer to keep your neuropathy at bay.

Dislaimer:
**These statements have not been verified by the Coop Institute or any other athletic sanction, and are solely the opinions and experiences of the author.**

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM

go to the video store and look on the shelf, you will see 7 minute abs, look directly to the right, if not sold out you will see six minute abs.

take your pick
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
go to the video store and look on the shelf, you will see 7 minute abs, look directly to the right, if not sold out you will see six minute abs.

take your pick
Please tell me that you're kidding...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

[QUOTE=The Raven]Running is what works for me, as indoor cardio tends to get monotonous, and my ADD takes over. Since you can't because of your neuropathy, find something else such as the elliptical trainer, swimming, biking, or whatever that you can do consistently for 20 minutes to an hour a day. My guess is that your plateau is a combination of eating too much/too little and not getting your heartrate into the fat burning zone for a long enough period of time. Getting your heartrate too high will have an anaerobic effect which doesn't allow for enough oxygen in the muscles to adequately oxidize adipose tissue (fat) for fuel, and will go for your glycogen and muscle instead. Having your heart rate too low simply won't burn enough calories in the alloted time to get through your glycogen stores to begin burning fat as fuel, so there is a medium ground that works best in terms of burning fat. I usually get to a point that breathing becomes a little heavier, but I can still say a sentence or two before I begin huffing. If you can chat it up you should speed up, and if your lungs are burning slow down.

Thanks, I have an elyptical, and a recumbent bike at home. You are right it can get boring. My workouts have been increased as far as rounds and lenght of them becaue they were getting easier, and I wasn't fatigued as much. Now there are times I am way spent. My feet use to go numb after very little running, and now it is getting easier, so I am about to see how long I can run before my feet go numb and I fall on my face. Portions could be cut back, I am trying because portions help control blood sugar.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Super.
you asked
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Please tell me that you're kidding...
dude... 6 min abs is right next to 5 min abs

Like Raven said..you need to get your heart rate up but not to high...A stairmaster is a great one machine to go at a moderate pace and work on burning fat and not muscle. A few of the big bodybuilding guys at my gym are always on that thing or they walk uphill on the treadmill at a moderate pace (2.5-3mph).

You really need to do more cardio if you want to lose the weight. Again, I think Aaron is on the right track..your diet is crappy. What are your A1Cs? If you clean up your diet (moderate carbs), and low in fats...high in protein. I have learned a lot about the effects of diabetes in the last 3 years. My girlfriend is type 1 and underweight and her sister is type1 and about 20lbs overweight.

I think if you work on your diet (I know lots of car salesmen that like to go out for lunch and eat crappy foods) you will see the most change. Try and get your carb count down to 50 carbs/meal. Balancing your blood sugar is a hard one with working out. I have yet to find a good trainer or nutritionist that knows how to mix the two.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
you asked
Yup, thanks for the novel.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Aaron is on the right track..your diet is crappy.
25lbs in a little less than 2 months.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Im having trouble losing that last 5-10... I know my diet is good (I tend to eat healthy because of the girlfriends diabetes) and Im in the gym 5 days a week doing cardio.. I think I need to slow it down on the elliptical...

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:

12 in one, but I'm still fat.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Im having trouble losing that last 5-10... I know my diet is good (I tend to eat healthy because of the girlfriends diabetes) and Im in the gym 5 days a week doing cardio.. I think I need to slow it down on the elliptical...
Healthy is a relative thing, take a good look at your saturated fats and sugar intake, as well as over all calories. Also, if you are eating a couple big meals, split up the portions and eat more often. You can get into the fat burning zone 4 days a week and not lose any fat due to over or under eating.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
12 in one, but I'm still fat.
Good job. Sad thing is as good a progress as I've made, I've still got contest level bodyfat in my head, so even at under 10% I can pinch stuff I want gone.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Healthy is a relative thing, take a good look at your saturated fats and sugar intake, as well as over all calories. Also, if you are eating a couple big meals, split up the portions and eat more often. You can get into the fat burning zone 4 days a week and not lose any fat due to over or under eating.
Im currently eating 3 meals a day...

Breakfast - Strawberry/Banana/Pineapple smoothie with 1/2 scoop protein powder ~ 350cal
Lunch - Subway sandwich ~600 cal
Dinner - Chicken or steak with potatoes or pasta (small servings of pots/pasta) ~ 600-700 cal

That basically sums it up in a day... I only drink diet dr pepper or water. Im negative atleast 500 cals a day. Starting TOMORROW Im switching it all up. Doing 7 small meals a day and aiming for 2500-3000cals/day. Im going to try and bulk then cut in 3 months. I know Im trying to bulk during the wrong part of the year but oh well.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:

13lbs in 10 days, no water weight loss. I wouldnt say it was the healthy way. Im trying to gain it all back now.

that's awsome though 25lbs is a lot for you!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
dude... 6 min abs is right next to 5 min abs

Like Raven said..you need to get your heart rate up but not to high...A stairmaster is a great one machine to go at a moderate pace and work on burning fat and not muscle. A few of the big bodybuilding guys at my gym are always on that thing or they walk uphill on the treadmill at a moderate pace (2.5-3mph).

You really need to do more cardio if you want to lose the weight. Again, I think Aaron is on the right track..your diet is crappy. What are your A1Cs? If you clean up your diet (moderate carbs), and low in fats...high in protein. I have learned a lot about the effects of diabetes in the last 3 years. My girlfriend is type 1 and underweight and her sister is type1 and about 20lbs overweight.

I think if you work on your diet (I know lots of car salesmen that like to go out for lunch and eat crappy foods) you will see the most change. Try and get your carb count down to 50 carbs/meal. Balancing your blood sugar is a hard one with working out. I have yet to find a good trainer or nutritionist that knows how to mix the two.

My AIC's were right at 120 last month when i went to the doctor. I eat a small bowl of oatmeal everyday for breakfast. My wife cooks dinner every night... no fried foods and two veggies every night. For lunch I eat sandwiches 3 to 4 times a week some even veggie sandwiches. I eat bad on Sunday because of lack of discipline after church. I eat wheat bread, and my wife even makes pasta with wheat pasta. So I eat a bad lunch 3 times aweek . i could make that better. My blood sugar is better when I owrk out because I am type ll. My body doesn't use the insulin it makes. so it likes to run high if i don't control it with diet and excercise. When I say i am healthy it means i am able to take on any rigorous activity. I am not 25 lbs overweight. Losing this last 15 lbs is a goal that would make me pretty ripped. all input is appreciated, and you are right most nutritionists and trainers are not as savvy on diabetes workouts as needed today.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
13lbs in 10 days, no water weight loss. I wouldnt say it was the healthy way. Im trying to gain it all back now.

that's awsome though 25lbs is a lot for you!
The difference being that you went from lean to leaner, and I went from fat to liveable. It's easier to burn fat when you've got an abundance.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Starting TOMORROW Im switching it all up. Doing 7 small meals a day and aiming for 2500-3000cals/day. Im going to try and bulk then cut in 3 months. I know Im trying to bulk during the wrong part of the year but oh well.
If they are clean calories, you might be suprised to find your metabolism speeding up, and continuing to burn fat. The key being that they are clean calories, don't use it as an excuse to eat crap, you'll pack on the fat if you do.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM

eat six times a day about 250 cals per meal. try hit training or super circuits
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessar aguirre
I agree...he should try to break up his meals into 6 meals a day...it will also help your body from needing an insulin spike. This should really help keep your blood sugars under control. 120 is still to high.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I agree...he should try to break up his meals into 6 meals a day...it will also help your body from needing an insulin spike. This should really help keep your blood sugars under control. 120 is still to high.

My body never needs an insulin spike. I am insulin resistant. My body makes all the insulin it needs, it just doesn't use it. That is where my pill comes in. It makes my body use the insulin. Normal blood sugar is from 75 to 125. When I found out I was diabetic, my 90 day average blood sugar was 380.
And unless money becomes no issue, i cannot eat six times a day because of my work. Stopping to eat like that will cause me to miss traffic. But those who have to eat like that, it is so they don't get low blood sugar. That doesn't happen with type ll.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessar aguirre

what it hit training and super circuits?
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM

yes, i am a personal trainer. only sometimes though...
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
My body never needs an insulin spike. I am insulin resistant. My body makes all the insulin it needs, it just doesn't use it. That is where my pill comes in. It makes my body use the insulin. Normal blood sugar is from 75 to 125. When I found out I was diabetic, my 90 day average blood sugar was 380.
And unless money becomes no issue, i cannot eat six times a day because of my work. Stopping to eat like that will cause me to miss traffic. But those who have to eat like that, it is so they don't get low blood sugar. That doesn't happen with type ll.
I dont want to push to hard...but most jobs will allow you to eat 6 meals a day if you WANT to. Its more like snacking throughout the day...not full blow meals.

Example:

Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal w/ milk
10AM: Protein bar or small sandwich or a serving of trail mix
Lunch: Sandwich (no chips)...basically what you eat now but a bit smaller portion
3PM: small snack...maybe a small apple and some nuts, snack pack, crackers w/ cheese, yogurt + small fruit, etc.
Dinner: normal dinner but in smaller portions
9PM: low carb snack... cheese, protein shake or bar, vegetables

So two times during the workday you need to snack. I dont know what kind of job you work...possibly you cant. I do know many jobs would allow you to take a 10 min break to chow down something for medical reasons. Many jobs allow cigarette breaks...just use those if possible. Most endocrinologists I have talked with say it's best to keep bloodsugars under 110. My girlfriends endocrinologists sets her goal to under 100. Same with her sisters endocrinologist.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM

high intensity training (hit) like doing full sprints, lunges, pushups, running up stairs back to back then rest until u can do it again.cause jogging at a certian pace sucks ur body gets comfortable . super circuits is super sets and circuits put together. hig reps during weight training only about 1 min between sets after ur done with a certin muscle group go do sprints and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement