Having a spotter/partner f**king rules - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Having a spotter/partner f**king rules

Damn. I have lifted by myself for the past 2 years.
The past two days I've had Don pushing me to do those last reps and at the same time keeping me from killing myself. It's so fucking nice to be able to push yourself without the fear of getting hurt... and also to have someone there to push you when you feel like being a pussy.

Gooooooood shit. My legs should be "second day sore" tomorrow and my arms do not want to move right now. Thanks for letting me come out there Don. I'm thinking about moving my membership for a while just so I can have people to lift with. I'm ready to get serious again.


.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Strychnine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
Thumbs up

True story.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
not a problem, man. Talk to Lanny, he's got a good hook up right now on 24 hour fitness memberships.

just put me as the reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Lifer
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,124
Yea with a spotter I get about 3-4 more reps that I otherwise wouldn't try at all cuz I'd be afraid to drop it!!
deso is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
Yes it does.. Fuckin Nate just had to graduate.

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM
351 in the works
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 956
a spotter is a must.
clean89 is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Poor MDT.. lol

Picked his ass up from the hospital.. torn cartilage in the rib area
Skidmark is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Poor MDT.. lol

Picked his ass up from the hospital.. torn cartilage in the rib area
Ouch. Yeah, my guess was a fracture. He was hurting pretty damn bad yesterday. He'll probably pop in here sooner or later, but do you know what they told him about down time?


.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Strychnine is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Ouch. Yeah, my guess was a fracture. He was hurting pretty damn bad yesterday. He'll probably pop in here sooner or later, but do you know what they told him about down time?
Not sure on that at all. All they did was give him some pain meds and send him on his way.
Skidmark is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
You guys drop a bar on his chest?
tex is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
You guys drop a bar on his chest?
LOL, I've had that happen before.
Try doing it with a 295lb collared incline bench,
no spotter, and having to pretty much look like an idiot in front of everyone
throwing it out in front of me on the ground, lol.

Hence why I now mainly just stick to dumbbells...
I just throw them out to the side and watch people scatter for
fear of getting a squashed foot!
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
I just throw them out to the side and watch people scatter for fear of getting a squashed foot!
that made me chuckle
Skidmark is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Yes it does.. Fuckin Nate just had to graduate.
And it sucks that I'm not lifting anymore...Get a membership to 24 focker.
Nate is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
You guys drop a bar on his chest?
No, but back in the first year or so I was lifting 225 on decline, which was alot for me at the time. I got one side racked, missed the other, and had the bar come down across my cheek. I was red in the face for more than one reason that day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
And it sucks that I'm not lifting anymore...Get a membership to 24 focker.
Im to poor. Ill join up when I graduate.

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Im to poor. Ill join up when I graduate.
How much longer do you lack?
Nate is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
How much longer do you lack?
Next Christmas I should be done.

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
i can count on 1 hand how many ppl i TRUST to spot for me...

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
No, but back in the first year or so I was lifting 225 on decline, which was alot for me at the time. I got one side racked, missed the other, and had the bar come down across my cheek. I was red in the face for more than one reason that day.
sounds like you need to invest in a good spotter.. heard your training partner is a wimp.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
i can count on 1 hand how many ppl i TRUST to spot for me...
Try teaching a newbie how to spot on a dumbbell press!
Most try to pull the weight up, instead of pushing the elbows inwardly/together.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
Try teaching a newbie how to spot on a dumbbell press!
Most try to pull the weight up, instead of pushing the elbows inwardly/together.

Ironically we spot at the wrists. When going heavy Dave likes to have a little more support laterally, if you let a 150lb dubmbell too far out, it's not coming back in with out injury, if it comes back at all.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Big "foot"
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Around
Posts: 19,217
It makes all the difference in the world! I'm lucky to have a workout partner, and I hate it whenever he can't make it to work out. I just don't get the same intensity by myself.

BLAKE is offline  
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Ironically we spot at the wrists. When going heavy Dave likes to have a little more support laterally, if you let a 150lb dubmbell too far out, it's not coming back in with out injury, if it comes back at all.
exactly on dumbell incline.. either i can push it or i cant... i dont want my spotter to push the weight up.. but i have a tendency of starting to stray outwards and My partners know to just guide up at the wrists.. but thats a perfect example.. i had a noob spot me a long time ago. and almost had a 100lbs dumbell planted in my face.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
and almost had a 100lbs dumbell planted in my face.
...but for you, anything like that would be an improvement.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Ironically we spot at the wrists. When going heavy Dave likes to have a little more support laterally, if you let a 150lb dubmbell too far out, it's not coming back in with out injury, if it comes back at all.
Like I said many a times...everyone has their own preference.
As for me, no way in hell I would let someone spot me at the wrist and "try" to laterial raise 300lbs!
The dumbbells would never get to the point of "being too far out" if you are correctly spotting at the elbows.
Once you see someone reach failure and the weight starts going outwardly,
you pull up and push the elbows together to keep the weight inward.
Them pushing the weight up is the easy part.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
Like I said many a times...everyone has their own preference.
As for me, no way in hell I would let someone spot me at the wrist and "try" to laterial raise 300lbs!
The dumbbells would never get to the point of "being too far out" if you are correctly spotting at the elbows.
Once you see someone reach failure and the weight starts going outwardly,
you pull up and push the elbows together to keep the weight inward.
Them pushing the weight up is the easy part.
150s arent enough for him to be doing heavy lateral raises all i need is a littl assitance towards the end of the set keeping them on track..

this is how we do the 150's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8iGqGwlwcc

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
150s arent enough for him to be doing heavy lateral raises all i need is a littl assitance towards the end of the set keeping them on track..

this is how we do the 150's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8iGqGwlwcc
Yea right on the lateral raise comment.

I've seen your 10 year old videos...I think everyone on here has a time or three!
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
Yea right on the lateral raise comment.

I've seen your 10 year old videos...I think everyone on here has a time or three!
i have to watch that video and cry.. some cock sucker in the gym BROKE the 150s.. now im stuck on the 140s.. 24 hour fitness wont buy anything heavier.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
i have to watch that video and cry.. some cock sucker in the gym BROKE the 150s.. now im stuck on the 140s.. 24 hour fitness wont buy anything heavier.
Think it's hard on you...our 24 hour only has 120's.
Now that I've got to where I can do the 120's 15-20 times,
I'm going to have to superset or drop set just to get a good pump.
Lifes hard bro...I tell ya!!!
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
Think it's hard on you...our 24 hour only has 120's.
Now that I've got to where I can do the 120's 15-20 times,
I'm going to have to superset or drop set just to get a good pump.
Lifes hard bro...I tell ya!!!
they wont let me bring in my own handles to use either. so i cant "make" big dumbells to use.. i

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Jackson
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
Try teaching a newbie how to spot on a dumbbell press!
Most try to pull the weight up, instead of pushing the elbows inwardly/together.
watched two neewbs spotting each other on incline dumbells and when the spotter went to push his elbows in, the guy let go of one of the dumbells, smack in the face!!! He looked pretty pissed at his buddy!!!
sliva32 is offline  
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Jackson
Posts: 146
to carry over 120's they have to carry a diffrent insurance so I have been told...my new trainer uses 180's...this guy is sick though!
sliva32 is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
I've usually dont ever have a spot with dumbells. I either get it up or drop it to the ground.
If someone was to spot me it'd be at the wrist. Spot from the elbows and you may have a dumbell in the face like wht lighting said.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliva32
to carry over 120's they have to carry a diffrent insurance so I have been told...my new trainer uses 180's...this guy is sick though!
180's?
Who is your trainer?
Johnnie Jackson? lol
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
180's?
Who is your trainer?
Johnnie Jackson? lol
im pretty sure i could throw some 180s up so here is the thing. you can load 1000 on the squat rack and fuck up your back, knees and what ever else when you call over.. but you cant have 150lbs dumbells? sounds dumb to me.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Lifer
 
greenrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,291
I don't have anyone to come lift with me, it f*cking sucks because I can't push myself as hard as I want to

I hate asking random people for a spot at our gym too, half of them are clueless on how to let you struggle and help gently rather than yank the weight up at the first sign of fatigue...
greenrebel is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliva32
to carry over 120's they have to carry a diffrent insurance so I have been told...my new trainer uses 180's...this guy is sick though!
What's your first name?
tex is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Lifer
 
347Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Damn. I have lifted by myself for the past 2 years.
The past two days I've had Don pushing me to do those last reps and at the same time keeping me from killing myself. It's so fucking nice to be able to push yourself without the fear of getting hurt... and also to have someone there to push you when you feel like being a pussy.

Gooooooood shit. My legs should be "second day sore" tomorrow and my arms do not want to move right now. Thanks for letting me come out there Don. I'm thinking about moving my membership for a while just so I can have people to lift with. I'm ready to get serious again.
Don will kick your ass when it comes to lifting. He put it in my head not to give up, to go for that extra rep and i did just that, but now im out for a good week with torn cartilage. (not his fault obviously)

I might be back this monday in time for chest again. ( i hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
347Mike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome