10 tips for fat loss - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Bitter Italian

10 tips for fat loss

I got this from another site and it's what helped me to get the ball rollin.

10 Tips for fat loss, in simplest terms. I've found more and more that the average person just has no clue when it comes to proper nutrition or fat loss. Having a background in bodybuilding and powerlifting, I am often approached by friends and family for diet and exercise advice. I'm always glad to share my thoughts and experiences with others. This is just an effort to put together most of what I've learned over the last few years and maybe to help give a jumpstart to anyone who is new to this and wants to drop some fat, but doesn't want to do all the research. For the intermediate or experienced lifter, this should all be review. I am not a nutrition expert by any means, but have read and applied as much information as I could. These are all things that have worked for me, and primarily used to control my body fat level while increasing my body mass.

1. Drink plenty of water. At least a gallon of water should be consumed every day. Water will not only keep your body hydrated, but it will help carry waste out of your body. Avoid "designer" water and carbonated "water". These products, while still better than most beverages, are not water and do not carry the same benefits. "But I don't like water" you say. Learn to love it. It loves you.

2. Eat 5-8 meals per day, every 2-3 hours. This should be nothing new to anyone. Just in case, the primary reason for increasing the frequency of food consumption is to increase your metabolic rate. If your body is in a constant state of using up the calories you consume, there won't be much room for those nasty fat cells to start filling up. If possible, you should try to count your calorie consumption. 10xyour body weight= calories per day. So if I want to lose weight and I weigh 205lbs then I should shoot for 2050 calories per day. Eat more, not less.

3. If it breathes, eat it. Your diet should consist of an abundance of fish, poultry, lean cuts of beef, vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Natural food is much friendlier to your digestive system and your body will thank you for it. Try to eat a vegetable with every meal. Even if you don't want to count calories, these meals will provide a rich balance of nutrients and promote fat loss. If you're a vegetarian, please go and try to feed some hummus to a lion. Let me know if he likes it.

4. Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day. Most people don't eat a good breakfast, if they eat anything at all. This meal is crucial. Remember how your body works better when in a constant metabolic state? Well, you just slept for 8 hours, and you weren't eating anything. Your body is starving and if you don't eat something soon, your metabolism will slow down and begin to store that fat you've worked so hard to get rid of. The best things to eat in the morning when focusing on fat loss are nuts and meat. Try to avoid sugars this early, as your body is highly insulin sensitive after a fast and you don't want to feed the beast when it's most hungry.

5. Eat something before bed.

A popular myth in the diet world is that any meal consumed before bed will turn into fat overnight. This couldn't be further from the truth. You must eat before you sleep in order to keep your metabolism working while you're enduring an extended fast. The best foods to eat are slow-digesting proteins such as yogurt or cottage cheese.

6. High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil. This widely popular sweetener is probably the single worst "food" you can subject your body to. It holds no nutritional value and will serve only to spike your insulin levels and help you pack on fat. HFCS is found in most processed foods and should be avoided at all costs.

7. Forget about "carbs"

The recent trend of demonizing carbohydrates has got to stop. They're not as bad as people think. Focus on whole grains and vegetables and fruits. These are all carbohydrate-rich foods, and all very helpful in promoting fat loss. Things to avoid are refined carbs. Basically, anything that's fake: white bread and bagels, refined sugar, most breakfast cereal and almost anything in the "snack" aisle. Also, be careful of packaged, dried fruit. Most of it has added HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP which instantly destroys any nutritional value the fruit may have provided.

8. Fish oil is your friend.

This is a tough one. This one is even tough for me. Fish oil comes in capsules now, so you don't have to taste it going down, but you will taste it throughout the day, and that's not fun. However, with that said, fish oil is a huge help in reducing body fat. And it's relatively inexpensive. Again, this will be a tough one to swallow (pun intended), but if you really want to get that six-pack, it will sure help.

9. Train your body with weights.

This should be obvious, but for some reason, it's overlooked. The average person feels that cardio alone will help promote fat loss. In fact, steady state cardiovascular work will put your body in a catabolic state, burn muscle as well as fat, and will increase your performance at running on a treadmill, or using a recumbent bike or elliptical machine, depending on what you're doing. By training your body with weights, you will increase your muscle density. Muscle tissue will burn calories at a rate that is roughly 70 times that of fat. Basically, the more muscle you have, the easier it will be to lose fat. Now, especially for the women, increasing muscle density is not the same as increasing muscle size. You will not look like "those women" on ESPN with all the rippling muscles. These women work very hard to look like that, and you will never look like them unless you absolutely want to, and train to that end. Bottom line, weight training is key to fat loss.

10. Don't follow the rules 100% of the time.

How will you ever make progress if you're miserable with your diet? If you love to drink blue slurpees and eat snickers bars, then don't eliminate them completely from your diet. Taking a break from time to time is actually a good thing. This doesn't give you license to start eating everything in sight or to order the 5-5-5 from Dominoes for yourself, but one day per week you can go a little nuts, just keep it under control. This serves two purposes. One, the diet will be easier to stick to when you can keep eating the foods you really enjoy from time to time. Two, your metabolism will get a nice kick-start and begin working overtime to move all those sugars and calories around that it isn't used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Packin' up...

Fish oil? I know alot of asain folks take the fish oil capsules. I've never tried them though
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Big "foot"

Good stuff Wario. Nothing I didn't already know, but it's nice to get a review that's wrapped up in a nice little package. It made me go re-fill the water glass, that's for sure.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Great post to help get folks headed in the right direction.

8/16/05
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Scared s**tless

take 2 caps of fish oil at breakfast and at lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Taking fish oil produces heart palpitations for me.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

what does fish oil do?

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
9. Train your body with weights.

This should be obvious, but for some reason, it's overlooked. The average person feels that cardio alone will help promote fat loss. In fact, steady state cardiovascular work will put your body in a catabolic state, burn muscle as well as fat, and will increase your performance at running on a treadmill, or using a recumbent bike or elliptical machine, depending on what you're doing. By training your body with weights, you will increase your muscle density. Muscle tissue will burn calories at a rate that is roughly 70 times that of fat. Basically, the more muscle you have, the easier it will be to lose fat. Now, especially for the women, increasing muscle density is not the same as increasing muscle size. You will not look like "those women" on ESPN with all the rippling muscles. These women work very hard to look like that, and you will never look like them unless you absolutely want to, and train to that end. Bottom line, weight training is key to fat loss.
Id like to see the theory behind this... I have been telling my sister to lift weights (she has a lot of weight to lose) along with her cardio but she doesnt want to because the damn machines spit out numbers of calories burned. It's more rewarding for here because it can be measured and represented...she can keep track.

I actually tried to research this just now and am not finding very good evidence of it. Lots of articles saying a good cardio workout will be 10-12 cal/min and 5 mets while lift weight will be 8-10cals/min and 2-3 mets. One article said the post workout muscle repair will give you another 25% calorie burn.

Anyone have any research on this?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
what does fish oil do?
It's just an omega 3... good for your cardiovascular system. Since the fish oil makes my heart skip beats, I take flax oil instead.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

awesome info! I'll definitely be putting what I can to use. thanks!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM

i take a multi vit that has fish oil in it and i walk and run alot when i go work out, at least for 1hr every other day.
would i be doing any good with the fat that is hanging around, by just all the running i do?
or should i run and lift weights?
i dont care about getting bigger or BUFF or whatever?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly

the added benifit you get from weight training is the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn throughout the day.

Exactly. Tim, just tell her that lifting weights = burning more fat while at rest. That, and the machine spitting out calorie figures is almost certainly wrong. It's a guestimate at best, and any "counting" she's doing is pretty much a waste of time. I mean, think about it: how does that treadmill (or whatever) know the rate at which she specifically burns calories?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
Exactly. Tim, just tell her that lifting weights = burning more fat while at rest. That, and the machine spitting out calorie figures is almost certainly wrong. It's a guestimate at best, and any "counting" she's doing is pretty much a waste of time. I mean, think about it: how does that treadmill (or whatever) know the rate at which she specifically burns calories?
Thats what I keep saying...shes just stubborn.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Lifer

whats is a good breakfast then? i know it says meats and nuts, but like chicken and peanuts or what?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsastang80
whats is a good breakfast then? i know it says meats and nuts, but like chicken and peanuts or what?
a great diet called the lean mass diet...an example for a 2000 calorie diet:

Meal 1 60g Carbs, 28g Protein, 10g Fats 442 Kcals
3 Serving/s Meat Category
2 Serving/s Fat Category
1 Serving/s Fruit Category
2 Serving/s Carbohydrate Category
1 Serving/s Milk Category - If allergic to or dislike milk you can add to this Meal 1 additional meat and carbohydrate serving

2500 calorie diet
Meal 1 60g Carbs, 35g Protein, 10g Fats 470 Kcals
4 Serving/s Meat Category
2 Serving/s Fat Category
1 Serving/s Fruit Category
2 Serving/s Carbohydrate Category
1 Serving/s Milk Category - If allergic to or dislike milk you can add to this Meal 1 additional meat and carbohydrate serving

Portions:
Starches (equal to 1 serving of Carbohydrate)
12-15 grams carbohydrate

BREADS
* Bagel - whole-wheat, oat-bran, 9-grain (3.5 inch) or 42g
* Bread - whole-wheat, oat-bran, 9-grain 1 slice or 32g
* Ezekiel bread (sprouted grains NO FLOUR) 1 slice
* Whole Wheat English muffin or 33g
* Whole Wheat Pita bread (6.5 inch in diameter) or 32g
* Whole Wheat Tortilla, 6 inches across 1 or 35g

CEREALS & GRAINS
* Barley (pearled) (dry) 1.25 tbsp or 15.6g
* Kashi Medley 1/3 cup or 19.8g
* Cream of Wheat regular or quick (dry) 1.5 tbsp or 16.7g
* Granola, low-fat (Heartland brand) 2.5 tbsp or 16.5g
* Grape-Nuts (Post brand) 2.5 tbsp or 16.5g
* Honey tbsp or 15.8g
* Millet (dry) 1.5 tbsp or 18.75g
* Oat Bran (dry) 3.5 tbsp or 20.5g
* Oatmeal (Quaker Instant/Old Fashion, dry) cup or 20g
* Pasta, wheat (noodles, bowtie, shells etc), (cooked) 1/3 cup or 46g
* Quinoa Grain (dry) 1.75 tbsp or 18.6g
* Rice, brown long-grain (cooked) 1/3 cup or 64.35g
* Rolled Oats cup or 20.25g
* Steel Cut Oats, dry 1/8 cup or 20g

STARCHY VEGETABLES
* Baked potato (no skin) 63.8g or 2.25 oz
* Baked Sweet potato (baked no skin) 56.7g or 2 oz
* Yams (baked, no skin) 56.7g or 2 oz

DRIED BEANS & LENTILS
ALSO COUNTS AS 1 MEAT SERVING
* Black Beans (S&W - canned) 106g or 3.75 oz
* Red Kidney, Pinto Beans (Green Giant - canned) 85g or 3 oz
Fruits (equal to 1 serving of Carbohydrate)
12-15 grams carbohydrate
* Apple, (with peel) 3.25 oz or 92g
* Banana, (peeled) 2.25 oz or 64g
* Blueberries (fresh) 3.5 oz or 99g
* Grapefruit, (peeled) 6.5 oz or 184g
* Grapes 3 oz or 85g
* Mango (fresh) 3 oz or 85g
* Orange, (peeled) 3.5 oz or 99g
* Pineapple 4 oz or 113g
* Peach (fresh) 4.55 oz or 127.5g
* Pear (fresh) 3 oz or 85g
* Papaya (fresh) 5 oz or 141.75g
* Raisins (seedless) 2 tbsp or 18.5g
* Strawberries (fresh) 6.5 oz or 184g
* Watermelon (fresh) 5 oz or 141.75g

Milk (equal to 1 serving of Protein & 1 serving Carbohydrate)
12-15 grams carbohydrates
6-8 grams protein
MILK & VERY LOW-FAT MILK
* Skim milk (0 grams fat) 1 cup or 8 Fl oz
* 1% Milk 1 cup or 8 Fl oz
* Plain non-fat yogurt cup or 6 oz
* Yoplait/Dannon Light Fruit yogurt 6 oz (1 container)
LOW-FAT MILK
ALSO COUNTS AS 1 FAT SERVING
* 2 % milk 1 cup or 8 oz
* Plain low-fat yogurt cup or 6.5 oz
* Sweet acidophilus milk 1 cup
WHOLE MILK
ALSO COUNTS AS 2 FAT SERVINGS
* Whole milk 1 cup or 8 oz

Vegetables (equal to 1 serving of Vegetables)
4-6 grams carbohydrates
All servings sizes are based on (raw or steamed)
* Asparagus 4 oz or 113 g
* Broccoli 2.75oz or 78g or cup
* Cauliflower 2.75oz or 78g or cup
* Green Beans 2.2oz or 62.5g or cup
* Onions 53g or 1.86 oz or 1/3 cup
* Spinach 125g or 4.4oz or 2/3 cup
* Celery 120g or 4.25 oz or 1 cup
* Cucumber 156g or 5.5 oz or 1/3 cup
* Green onions 50g or 1.75 oz or cup
* Mushrooms 78g or 2.5 oz or cup
* Tomato 90g or 3.2 oz or cup
* Salad greens (lettuce, romaine) 165g or 5.2 oz or 3 cups

Protein (equal to 1 serving of Meat)
6-8 grams protein
VERY LEAN MEAT (all measurements AFTER cooked)
* Chicken breast (white meat) boneless/skinless 1 oz or 28.35g
* Turkey breast (LEAN) 1 oz or 28.35g
* Fresh fish (cod, haddock, halibut, tuna (canned in water), tilapia) 1 oz or 28.35g
* Shell fish (crab, lobster, shrimp) 1.25 oz or 35.5g
* Egg whites 2 or 67g
* Egg Beaters cup or 2.15 oz or 61g
* Non-fat cottage cheese cup or 2 oz or 57 g
* Salmon Fillet 1 oz or 28.35g
(also counts as fat serving)
* Lean Sirloin oz or 21.25g
* Egg (including yolk) 1 or 50g
(also counts as 1 fat serving)
* Cheese 2% (Reduced Fat, American, jack, Swiss, cheddar) 1 oz or 28.35g
(also counts as 1 fat serving)
* Salmon 1 oz or 28.35g
(also counts as fat serving
Fat (equal to 1 serving of Fat)
5 grams fat

MONOUNSATURATED FATS & POLYUNSATURATED FATS
* Avocado 1 oz or 28.35g
* Almonds (dry roasted) 1/3 oz (~ 6 pieces) or 1 tbsp or 8.6g
* Benecol 1 tbsp or 14g
* Cashews 1/3 oz or 1 tbsp or 9.65g
* Enova oil 1 Tsp or 4.5g
* Flax oil 1 Tsp or 4.5g
* Mayonnaise (Light, reduced-fat) 1 Tbsp or 15g
* Oil (olive or canola, Enova) 1 tsp or 4.5g or 0.16 oz
* Peanuts 1/3 oz or 9.36g
* Peanut/Almond butter (smooth or crunchy) 2 tsp or 0.38 oz or 10.6g
* Pecans oz or 1 tbsp or 7.44g
* Salad dressing (Light, reduced-fat) 2 Tbsp or 30g
* Sesame seeds 1Tbsp or 1/3 oz or 9.4g
* Smart Balance spread 1 tbsp or 14g
* Sunflower seeds 1Tbsp or 1/3 oz or 9.0g
* Walnuts 1Tbsp or 1/4 oz or 7.5g

LOL..tahts a lot of info. I can email you the whole pdf..its a lot of information but great info. Written by a couple nutritionists and a Dr.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Time Served

wario,
this is great!! this will really help me look good for the summer!!
i'm been going to the gym every other day and doing cardio AND weights..
i've noticed a difference but this should wrap it all up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement