First Triathlon this weekend - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

First Triathlon this weekend

Doing my first Tri. this weekend in Athens. Anyone have an advice? Im pretty lost on how the transition work and what all I need to do to be prepared. I did get some tri shorts. So Im guessing I just ware those for the swim/bike/run. Should be fun, im pretty excited I have been training for them long enough. As long as im not last ill be happy.

02-z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

what are you lost on?

Swim to bike... put on your bike shoes get on your bike
Bike to run... put on your running shoes and run.

Conserve on the swim, if after 1/2 the bike you are still feeling good, bust it. Haul ass on the run.

How far is the Athen? I think it is "sprint." If so, swim as fast as you can, bike as fast as you can, run as fast as you can. If you aren't throwing up after a sprint tri you didn't go hard enough.

Good luck.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
what are you lost on?

Swim to bike... put on your bike shoes get on your bike
Bike to run... put on your running shoes and run.

Conserve on the swim, if after 1/2 the bike you are still feeling good, bust it. Haul ass on the run.

How far is the Athen? I think it is "sprint." If so, swim as fast as you can, bike as fast as you can, run as fast as you can. If you aren't throwing up after a sprint tri you didn't go hard enough.

Good luck.
Not really sure. Will I be given a certain area to put all my stuff? Or is it just a first come first serve type of deal. Should I leave it in some type of bag, or just have it next to my bike? I guess it will be one of those things that ill be able to figure out when I get their. I think im just getting anxious for it. Have to pick up my packet tomorrow and have my bike inspected. (not really sure what they are inspecting on it)

Yeah, its only a sprint. I think ill be good on the swim, bike im not worried about, got in 50 mile ride today with a 18 MPH average not trying to hard, so im hoping I can keep it over 21, hopefully. The run, well im just gonna have to see how it goes, I have been lazy on my runs lately. Im just gonna bust my ass and see how it goes.

02-z28

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Not really sure. Will I be given a certain area to put all my stuff? Or is it just a first come first serve type of deal. Should I leave it in some type of bag, or just have it next to my bike? I guess it will be one of those things that ill be able to figure out when I get their. I think im just getting anxious for it. Have to pick up my packet tomorrow and have my bike inspected. (not really sure what they are inspecting on it)

Yeah, its only a sprint. I think ill be good on the swim, bike im not worried about, got in 50 mile ride today with a 18 MPH average not trying to hard, so im hoping I can keep it over 21, hopefully. The run, well im just gonna have to see how it goes, I have been lazy on my runs lately. Im just gonna bust my ass and see how it goes.
Depends on the triathlon. Yes, you will be assigned a number that you'll wear throughout the tri. The racks will be set up either by number row (like 700-750) where you can rack your bike or by specific number. If it is by number row pick the closet you can to the exit of the transition.

Beside your bike you will have your "biking gear" and either another bag (or same bag) that has your "running gear." You will mount your bike only after exit of the transition area. If you mount it prior to the exit of transition you will be penalized.

Ride the bike route, dismount prior to entering the transition, and run your bike back to where it was. Swap out bike shoes for run shoes, take in some liquid and be gone. Haul ass.

Since this is your first one, just keep it fun. Don't try to set a record because, well, you don't have a personal best yet. haha.

After you have a few under your buckle in the spring you will have a good idea of what you can do and try to improve going into the fall season.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ok cool, thanks for clearing that up..

02-z28
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Woo 33F is what the temp is suppose to be in the morning. Its gonna be a cold bike ride.

02-z28
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well FUCK.. some how on the drive out to Athens I some how broke a fucking spoke.. Just took it out and my wheel is now so out of round I have to have my back break disconnected. Fucking unbelievable, gonna go ride it in the morning and if its too bad, I might be buying a walmart bike to do the ride on.

02-z28
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Lifer

Sounds like fun good luck.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

wow that sucks about your bike....

good luck tho

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well im pretty disappointed in myself. Had a good time, but my bike really got fucked up.

Guess Ill start with the swim. The swim was an utter cluster fuck from all the people full of shit. I put my time at 6:30 which I was pretty sure was on the slow side but did not want to be that guy, that slowed everyone else down. Well I got stuck behind the special Olympics people or something. I had two people passed before the first length of the pool (and yes it was only a 25 M pool) I was 326 in the water and by the time I was out of the water I was passing number 313. It was a mess, I had to stop several times to avoid people, finally I just said fuck it and started elbowing people and pushing them out of the way, when they would be trying to swim in the middle. Ended up with a swim time of 5:40, not bad for all the crap I dealt with, I think getting into the 4 min. area will not be a problem. Now on to the bike, this is where it got interesting.

The temp never came up like it was suppose to it was at 30 when I got out of the pool and ran out side. It was cold. Besides the cold ass head wind the first part was not to bad, had a decent average and was passing a few people and only got passed by one person. Thats when my luck ran out, started back to the transition area, when my chain just starts shifting all around, and slipping. Im trying everything to get it to stop with no luck, so now im having hell just keeping my bike rolling. My chain ended up falling off three times, If it wouldn't have been that I was only 1 mile away by the third time I think I would have just said fuck it. So by the time I get to the transition area im not to happy. Ended up with a 15.3 mph average. fucking ridiculous. Oh and did I mention the wheel bent some more so the wheel was rubbing on the brake the last 7 miles.

Start the run just plain ass pissed off. So just took my sweet ass time, did not really push my self at all, and looking back on it I should have. oh well ended up with an embarrassing 30 min run time.

But I did get my goal of not coming in last, actually finished 190th out of 460, so I guess considering all my problems thats not to bad. When I registered the lady put me in age group instead of clyd. group. So I finished 17th in the my age. But would have been in third or fourth in clyd. can't remember.

In conclusion I will be signing up for the next one in the area, so I can redeem myself pride. I don't think I can have that bad of luck again. All In all it was a good time, would have been a great time if I wouldn't have had to deal with bike problems.

02-z28
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
not exclude

Murphy was out and about, that really sucks man. All things considered, sounds like you did awesome. Don't let this sway you. I couldn't imagine doing a tri in a freakin indoor pool, that would just about drive me crazy. Get your shit fixed, back to training...it could only get better
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Ronin, you finished your first tri. Congratulations.

Don't worry, the open water swims are just as much of a cluster fuck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement