Question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Question

I typically have a few hours to kill during the morning and at night. I've already started working out at night - each trip to the gym being at least an hour, with about 30 minutes dedicated to weights and 30 minutes to cardio. Since I usually just sit around the house kinda bored during the day, would it hurt me to go to the gym and bust out another 30 minutes of cardio or so? I've heard the term "overtraining," though, I'm not really sure what the consequences are. First of all, what is overtraining? Secondly, would that plan be considered overtraining? Thirdly, what are the effects of overtraining.

Basically, I'm tired of being an disgusting fat-body and want to look decent before summer's end. My diet is pretty good, so I've been told, but I have added a Blueberry smoothie to it, as I was only getting about 1500-1600 calories out of it before. Now I'm getting 1900-2000 calories.

- Geof

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Lifer

I don't think it would hurt, only because it's not like you're spending 2-3 hours at a time there. You're spliting it up and giving your body time to rest. It would definitely beat sitting at home on your butt.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm going Commando

Geof where do you de-fatass? I'm down for some running anytime you're ready.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Time Served

since i have quit my job i have been going twice a day everyday, If you have nothing to do just go up there and run,swim,play racketball, basketball, or the best thing would be to do any of the classes they offer.

Back in the game with a 1991 GT
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
I typically have a few hours to kill during the morning and at night. I've already started working out at night - each trip to the gym being at least an hour, with about 30 minutes dedicated to weights and 30 minutes to cardio. Since I usually just sit around the house kinda bored during the day, would it hurt me to go to the gym and bust out another 30 minutes of cardio or so? I've heard the term "overtraining," though, I'm not really sure what the consequences are. First of all, what is overtraining? Secondly, would that plan be considered overtraining? Thirdly, what are the effects of overtraining.

Basically, I'm tired of being an disgusting fat-body and want to look decent before summer's end. My diet is pretty good, so I've been told, but I have added a Blueberry smoothie to it, as I was only getting about 1500-1600 calories out of it before. Now I'm getting 1900-2000 calories.

- Geof
thats a good plan, but if you really want to be effective, do all the cardio in the morning to get your metabolism up for the day, then do more weight training at night. that way you aren't leaving anything on the table when you hit the weights. as for the smoothie, go get some protein powder throw it in to make sure your body burns fat and not muscle.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Lifer

Overtraining = Overrated
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Geof where do you de-fatass? I'm down for some running anytime you're ready.
I'm an ex smoker with a mild case of bronchitis. I don't run lol. I do walk fairly quickly though at that little gym at N. Colony and 423.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm over it!

Most of the time dont see results if you are doing the same thing every day. Switch it up. If you are doing cardio, walk one day and jump rope the next. (or something to that measure.) If you do the same thing everyday you will not see results as quickly.

I would definitly do the cardio in the morning! You will be suprised on how much energy you will have.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson
Most of the time dont see results if you are doing the same thing every day. Switch it up. If you are doing cardio, walk one day and jump rope the next. (or something to that measure.) If you do the same thing everyday you will not see results as quickly.

I would definitly do the cardio in the morning! You will be suprised on how much energy you will have.
You wanna do some cardio in the morning with me?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Crackalack!

LOL @ Squat-thrusts....
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Lifer

I couldnt jump rope to save my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Crackalack!

I went and played basketball Tuesday night... last week when I went, I just shot on a side goal. This time I played in 3 back to back pick up games and it WORE me out w/ a quickness! I remember I used to play for a couple of hours at a time! OYE!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho?
thats a good plan, but if you really want to be effective, do all the cardio in the morning to get your metabolism up for the day, then do more weight training at night. that way you aren't leaving anything on the table when you hit the weights. as for the smoothie, go get some protein powder throw it in to make sure your body burns fat and not muscle.
Typically you should lift in the morning so that your body is fresh, and do your cardio at night.

What does protein powder in his smoothie have to do with how his body acquires energy?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90redlx
Typically you should lift in the morning so that your body is fresh, and do your cardio at night.

What does protein powder in his smoothie have to do with how his body acquires energy?
I'd rather run in the morning. The obvious one being that cardio gets the blood flow going, boosts metabolism, and morning fasted cardio will gobble up calories. It's also more time-efficient since I do 30 min. fasted cardio and the weights take an hour or more. Also, when I get off work I have some nice tension built up: I like taking it out on a bench press or dead lift

I think the protein powder there was simply to allow a more convenient way to supplement more effective calories into his diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
I'd rather run in the morning. The obvious one being that cardio gets the blood flow going, boosts metabolism, and morning fasted cardio will gobble up calories. It's also more time-efficient since I do 30 min. fasted cardio and the weights take an hour or more. Also, when I get off work I have some nice tension built up: I like taking it out on a bench press or dead lift

I think the protein powder there was simply to allow a more convenient way to supplement more effective calories into his diet.
Do you do cardio after the weights as well, Don?

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Nobody

Quote:

first off you're wrong about cardio at night, your body can recuperate within the day perfectly, and thats what every pro that i know of does, second, if you aren't taking in enough protein, your body starts to break down muscle for energy and stores your fat, thats what. you know that.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I've got a question on the protein powder. My diet has been all kinds of screwed up recently, mainly because I eat a tiny breakfast for the most part and don't always eat lunch out of time constraints, leaving dinner to be my only normal meal. I'm fully aware that it's a fucked up diet, and I'm starting to change that; question is this...how many calories should I take in working out 3 days a week, with 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, 30 minutes more of cardio before I work out, and then working out for an hour and a half at a fairly good intensity?

that and will more protein actually cause your body to burn more fat?

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
I've got a question on the protein powder. My diet has been all kinds of screwed up recently, mainly because I eat a tiny breakfast for the most part and don't always eat lunch out of time constraints, leaving dinner to be my only normal meal. I'm fully aware that it's a fucked up diet, and I'm starting to change that; question is this...how many calories should I take in working out 3 days a week, with 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, 30 minutes more of cardio before I work out, and then working out for an hour and a half at a fairly good intensity?

that and will more protein actually cause your body to burn more fat?
i cant tell you how many calories you need, that depends on height, weight and if you're trying to gain muscle, maintain muscle or burn fat. and yes, if you up your protein to about 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight, you will burn fat alot faster. also, i would put the last 30 mins of cardio after your workout. and for the diet, a protein shake takes 2 mins to make and take.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
first off you're wrong about cardio at night, your body can recuperate within the day perfectly, and thats what every pro that i know of does, second, if you aren't taking in enough protein, your body starts to break down muscle for energy and stores your fat, thats what. you know that.
And how many pros do you know? Thats funny cuz the current Mr. O does his cardio at night. That is besides the point every pro juices so it doesn't really matter.

If you are not taking in enough protein without having to add an extra scoop into his smoothie he should be eating more. NO PROTEIN SHAKE/SMOOTHIE/MEAL REPLACEMENT WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS FOOD!!!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
i cant tell you how many calories you need, that depends on height, weight and if you're trying to gain muscle, maintain muscle or burn fat. and yes, if you up your protein to about 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight, you will burn fat alot faster. also, i would put the last 30 mins of cardio after your workout. and for the diet, a protein shake takes 2 mins to make and take.
does the intake of said protein have a timeframe? i.e. before workout or after workout or some other time?

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO

No one can tell you what works best for you. Fasting cardio does shred off pounds quickly but it will also start eating away at muscle if done for too long.

I would suggest to get some quick grits or oats and eat a cup when you get up so your body burns calories as if it is fasting, but by the time you get finished with cardio your body will be absorbing the complex carbs it needs.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
does the intake of said protein have a timeframe? i.e. before workout or after workout or some other time?
The best is actually while you are working out, 4oz's every 15 min. Intended to be mixed with water NOT milk.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
The best is actually while you are working out, 4oz's every 15 min. Intended to be mixed with water NOT milk.
that sounds great, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm so out of shape and the routine that I'm on is so cardio intensive that I'm not sure I could keep that down

edit: totally just noticed that it said water not milk. in that case I probably could, although I still don't like drinking that much water in the middle of my workouts.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Nobody

Quote:
And how many pros do you know? Thats funny cuz the current Mr. O does his cardio at night. That is besides the point every pro juices so it doesn't really matter.

If you are not taking in enough protein without having to add an extra scoop into his smoothie he should be eating more. NO PROTEIN SHAKE/SMOOTHIE/MEAL REPLACEMENT WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS FOOD!!!
actually, cutler does his cardio at 5 in the morning, just watch his videos. here's a link that proves us both wrong, now quit being an ass trying to argue with everything everyone else is saying. plus i said that i know OF, genius. i never said i knew anyone personally.
http://www.sixpacknow.com/fatlosstips.html

Last edited by SuperWho?; 02-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement